Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP C2D arrivals please post here

New MBP C2D arrivals please post here (Page 4)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by smelias View Post
My last was the 17"PB G5.
There's no such thing.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 04:32 AM

i agree as well, i would like to here some comparisons between the two.
Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Comparisons/ PSD tests? Aperture tests?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by djpluv
About 8 hours in and I can say that my 15" MBP C2D has not gotten anywhere near as hot as my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
There's no such thing.
That's because it melted approximately 5 minutes after he turned it on.

Those G5's were smokin'!

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 04:33 AM

There's no such thing.
lol, +1

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 07:18 AM

Comparisons/ PSD tests? Aperture tests?
Yes, please... that would be great!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 08:55 AM

So my MBP shipped from shanghai YESTERDAY and it is ALREADY in my city!!!! Looks like I will get it today! It's funny because I later added applecare to my order and that was shipped on nov 1 from within my state and it didnt arrive yesterday like it was estimated to....oh well. I can't wait to get my new baby!!!! I think I will call him Greased Lightnin'.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

atc ben
Nov 3, 2006, 09:38 AM

I'm starting to get ancy. Mine was supposed to ship by the 3rd (today), but so far it hasn't shipped. It's already 9:30pm in China, so I'm thinking it's not going to happen. It looks like the format of my Order Status page changed a little over night though. It used to say "Estimated Ship Date:" and now it says "Ships By:" Nov. 3. I don't know if that means anything. I'm so impatient.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 09:41 AM

mine is on fedex truck for delivery!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah i understand the frustration......my fedex site for my applecare that i ordered look skind of funky too. it used to say expected delivery nov 2 but now it only mentions that is shipped nov 1. odd.......btw, i'm sorta on the east coast. i dunno if east coasters are getting theirs faster than southerners.

smelias
Nov 3, 2006, 10:05 AM

There's no such thing.
That's right, I just got confused with the broken promise of a G5 PB.
Dual G5 2.0, PB AL 17/1Gz,PB Ti/667,iMac/800 FP,Lombard/400,Wallstreet/250, PowerPC/75,PB 520c,Centris 610
Classic II,Newton 120,Apple IIe

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 11:16 AM

WELL, FEDEX JUST ARRIVED.....WOO HOO!!!! Man, once it actually ships, its fast getting here...what stinks is waiting for them to ship it.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jtice View Post
I found a downloadable speed test for photoshop, but since it runs under emulation the best I can do is compare Rosetta performance on the C2D to two of my other machines (also have a G3 but didn't have a calendar handy). I'd be interested to see how MBP will improve w/ universal photoshop. Any guestimates? If anyone knows of a similar test that runs native either as a stand-alone or with some type of common application please post a link.

iBook G4 933MHz 1GB RAM – 7:16
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0MHz 2.5GB RAM - 1:18
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16MHz 2.0GB RAM - 1:48 (Rosetta)
(min:sec)

Here's the link to the test:
Retouch Artists | Photoshop Speed Test

Also, the MBP is whisper quiet, cool, bright beautiful screen and seems to have none of the issues that the earlier model is notorious for.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33MHz 2.0GB RAM - 1:43 (Rosetta) - Beat ya' by 5 secs

Btw, Aperture 1.51 runs really well on this, much better than my dual 2 g5 with a 256mb x800 and 3gb ram, believe it or not. I really really love this new macbook. Very quite, quite cool, mucho fast.
( Last edited by ccrider; Nov 3, 2006 at 11:57 AM. )

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 01:48 PM

Very disappointed in my credit card company. Apple tried to run the transaction this past Tuesday and the cc company blocked it. After multiple phone calls, I was able to get it to go through, but I suspect that it delayed my shipment. I was under the impression that Apple charges you when the product ships. Which leads me to believe that it was ready to ship on Tuesday, but couldn't because payment was held up. What I don't get, is that now that payment is through, why has it not shipped? Does Apple only ship on certain days (Tuesday's)? Otherwise, looks like I'm waiting until the 7th!

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy View Post
Very disappointed in my credit card company. Apple tried to run the transaction this past Tuesday and the cc company blocked it. After multiple phone calls, I was able to get it to go through, but I suspect that it delayed my shipment. I was under the impression that Apple charges you when the product ships. Which leads me to believe that it was ready to ship on Tuesday, but couldn't because payment was held up. What I don't get, is that now that payment is through, why has it not shipped?
There are two parts to a credit card transaction -- first, the merchant sends a message to your credit card company to check that you have the funds available for the transaction, and kind of 'reserve' the funds. Then, they actually bill that amount, and the money is theirs.

It's common for mail order companies to do the 'check/reserve' first, and then only do the actual billing when they ship the product.

Same thing happened to me. I ordered a few days ago, and my credit card company called me to verify the transaction (since I don't normally go around dropping thousands on laptops). But the product hasn't shipped yet, and the money hasn't actually left my account yet.

So I don't think your credit card company necessarily held up your order. When did you place the order, and what was the originally quoted shipping date?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33MHz 2.0GB RAM - 1:43 (Rosetta) - Beat ya' by 5 secs

Btw, Aperture 1.51 runs really well on this, much better than my dual 2 g5 with a 256mb x800 and 3gb ram, believe it or not. I really really love this new macbook. Very quite, quite cool, mucho fast.
Glad to hear that. I just ordered a 2.33 C2D MacBook Pro to replace both my Dual 1.8 G5 and 1ghz PowerBook. I was worried about it not being too much faster in Aperture than the Powermac (bc of ram and hd speed), but it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Supposed to ship between 6th and 8th, delivered between 8th and 14th.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7 View Post
Glad to hear that. I just ordered a 2.33 C2D MacBook Pro to replace both my Dual 1.8 G5 and 1ghz PowerBook.
Judging by my experience with my rev A 15" MBP you're in for a nice upgrade. Have fun.

Platonist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 03:01 PM

I am wondering how the keyboards are holding up on the newer MBPs. I have a PowerBook that suffers from the 'sticky keys' phenomenon, and am hoping that this has been fixed on subsequent MBPs. For those who don't know of this issue, the sticky keys problem is where the white membrane underneath the keyboard doesn't adhere properly. Thus, when typing on certain keys (which vary) there is a popping sound as the white membrane sticks and unsticks to the top case. This has been known to get worse with age, and even appear on otherwise fine keyboards. I know of quite a few people who have had this issue with PowerBooks -- anyone experience this with MBPs? Being an academic, the keyboard feel of a laptop can be a deal breaker.

I am VERY tempted to upgrade the PowerBook, so any input would be great!

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 04:03 PM

Chrismear,
I ordered the day of the announcement (the 24th?), and est. ship day is on or before Nov. 7th. 17" MBP. Getting ancy.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 05:15 PM

hmmmmmm....i only just got my mbp today, but after typing on it for a while, i didnt notice any stickiness at all. Its been good...the only thing that has happened is a kernal panick for some reason...but other than that, I'm in love.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 11:20 AM

My MacBook Pro is stilling in the facility where I live and they won't let me come get it and they will not attempt to deliver it today. It arrived last night about 6pm.
I cannot get it until Monday.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:49 PM

So far it sounds like the new C2D's are running a lot cooler. Nobody has complained about the heat like the Rev A's. Anyone with feedback on how cool their new C2D MBP's are running?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but am I correct in saying that the only way to get the 160GB hard drive with the 15" MBP is through Apple? That is, I can't get it through a third-party like MacConnection or Amazon.com?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 02:20 PM

phazedowt
Nov 4, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
So far it sounds like the new C2D's are running a lot cooler. Nobody has complained about the heat like the Rev A's. Anyone with feedback on how cool their new C2D MBP's are running?
I have no experience with the Rev A MBPs, but I can say that after a week with my new C2D MBP, its rarely going over a CPU temp (averaged over both cores) of 60C. In fact, when idle it hovers in the low-50s/upper-40s. I've only heard the fan go off twice (which is around 70C) and when it does, it rapidly cools down. My 2 general observations are 1) Its no hotter-- in fact, I dare say, cooler during typical use than my old PB G4, and 2) Its certainly comfortable to use on my lap-- even when wearing shorts.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 04:15 PM

My 2.16 c2d whistles like a canary, I think its the fan.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:16 PM

Which PowerBook G4?

Originally Posted by phazedowt View Post
…in fact, I dare say, cooler during typical use than my old PB G4, and 2) Its certainly comfortable to use on my lap-- even when wearing shorts.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 04:22 PM

AS stated above, the new core 2 duo 2.16ghz I purchased on Wednesday. This is happening when using the battery. There is a constant hum from the fan(?) and a whistle from where the lcd meets the keyboard. This doesn't happen when plugged in or when the screen dims.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 04:27 PM

Dunno, though this lists the 120GB drive, the description reads 160GB! Call 'em on it? nah, unethical

Amazon.com: Apple MacBook Pro MA610LL/A 15" Notebook PC (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive): Computers & PC Hardware
Ooh, slick.

But yeah, guess I'll go with the smaller HD then. MacConn. saves me from having to pay tax, plus a $150 rebate, plus Parallels for free... too good to pass up for me.

mugenpwr17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 07:10 PM

I ordered my MBP C2D on October 29th and I got it yesterday Noveber 4th. I ordered the $2499 version with no changes. So far it is very fast. I also have bootcamp loaded on here with a copy of Windows Vista RC1 and it runs it just fine. So far so good.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 08:10 PM

I posed a question a long time ago that if you have a digital camera that takes MPEG movies like my Casio Z750, can you use a card reader via USB or PCMCIA to run those captured movies smoothly from the Secure Digita (SD) card? The general opinion at that time was no; the movies would be choppy, which they were on my Powerbook. Well I bought a little USB 2 reader from Circuit City since the local Apple Store was out of Multimedia Expresscards. I inserted the SD card from my cam and plugged into my Macbook Pro. Not one glitch; the MPEG4 movie ran as smooth as butter straight from the SD card. Just thought I'd share.

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 08:39 PM

I also got a stock 15" MBP/2.33 GHz/256 M GPU/120 GB HD mode.

This is a sweet machine. So far, no problem whatsoever. I also bought an ILap for this.

phazedowt
Nov 4, 2006, 08:43 PM

Which PowerBook G4?
1 GHz 15" Alu.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BadApple View Post
I also got a stock 15" MBP/2.33 GHz/256 M GPU/120 GB HD mode.
This is a sweet machine. So far, no problem whatsoever. I also bought an ILap for this.
How do you like the iLap? I'm trying to decide what stand do get. I have an iCurve but I don't like it because it's too high.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 11:47 PM

Really? I love the height of the iCurve; it's quite perfect for me. I couldn't imagine the machine any lower, ouchies!

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7 View Post
How do you like the iLap? I'm trying to decide what stand do get. I have an iCurve but I don't like it because it's too high.
I use both iCurves (for my other 3 Macs); so, I was able to compare the user experience for both iCurve and ILap.

I like ILap so far. It comes with the wrist cushion which makes it comfortable to type on MBP. But, the wrist cushion will block the DVD slot and IR (for Front Row remote). That is the trade off. If you take off the cushion (it is attached to ILap with velcro, you can use DVD and Front Row.
It also comes with 4 rubber raiser which you put on the four corners of ILap surface. This will raise my MBP off ILap surface slightly preventing wear and tear on MBP's rubber feet. This is a nice touch by ILap.

With ILap, it is easy to carry my MBP around. It also fits MBP nicely as it is made of light aluminum.
I am thinking about getting Marware Protection Pack for MBP to cover up the wrist areas of MBP.
I have an extra iSkin keyboard protector for my PBs and iBook. It fits nicely on this MBP C2D.

Edit: I posted my set up in PB/MBP picture thread on this forum.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 06:18 AM

My C2D MBP just arrived! Perfect build quality. No whine, warm on the underside when in heavy use but definitely cooler than my rev A MBP. And the glossy screen is just gorgeous - much less reflection than what you usually see on glossy screens of PC notebooks. I'm stunned.

outthere
Nov 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

mine is shipped 2 days earlier, 6th instead of 8th
woohoo

cant wait
un jour,

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 01:19 PM

Did you get the 160GB? Can you please run some comparisons against the 1.67?

Thanks,
io

P.S., I'm sure I'll get mine later this week, but still...

My C2D MBP just arrived! Perfect build quality. No whine, warm on the underside when in heavy use but definitely cooler than my rev A MBP. And the glossy screen is just gorgeous - much less reflection than what you usually see on glossy screens of PC notebooks. I'm stunned.

telf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 01:37 PM

hi just ordered my first ever apple product beside ipod.

macbook pro
15inch
233 mhz
160 gig
matte

hope its good. thansk for all the help from this site

peppermg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 02:21 PM

Ordered Today! Est. Delivery by: Nov 09 - Nov 17
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz, 2GB, 160GB, Glossy.

atc ben
Nov 6, 2006, 04:11 PM

Just received mine today - a 15" 2.33 160HD Matte. Damn these things are fast. Fit and finish looks excellent and I'm extremely happy so far. I'm doing a fresh install of OS X without all the language support right now.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 04:17 PM

Hint to people: don't order on Fridays, unless you enjoy waiting two more days.

<--idiot

OK, back to work…

wbaccus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 06:15 PM

PepperMG:

What model did you order?

I ordered a 15" 2.33 +160gb drive. on Oct 25. Was supposed to ship by Nov 3. On Nov 4th, they changed my ship date to Nov 29.

Guess it's the 160gb drives.. they may be holding those off for the 17" models.

trevj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 06:46 PM

I notice some posters here have mentioned their order status showing an estimated delivery date. My order status for a 17"MBP/Matte shows only a "Shipping by" date (Nov. 14th). Could it be the difference between Canadian orders and U.S. orders? Or am I missing something somewhere that will provide me with an estimated shipping date?

Trevor Johnston
Illustrator / Infographic specialist

Illustration by Trevor Johnston

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 07:27 PM

MY 2.16GHZ C2D IS whining when on battery or when the battery is being charged. I was convinced they fixed this with the previous generation. If I dim the screen the whine goes away. Looks like I will have to send this back. Anyone else getting this whining/whistling noise?

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 10:17 PM

Got my gossy 15" 2.16 C2D MBP today. No whining or anything that I can tell. Absolutely beautiful piece of engineering. Feels quick, but it seems like it could probably use more RAM (I just have the default 1gig in now).
I love lamp! I love lamp...

atc ben
Nov 6, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by DevNine View Post
MY 2.16GHZ C2D IS whining when on battery or when the battery is being charged. I was convinced they fixed this with the previous generation. If I dim the screen the whine goes away. Looks like I will have to send this back. Anyone else getting this whining/whistling noise?
Complete silence here. The only sound I here is when loading a disk into the superdrive.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist View Post
Got my gossy 15" 2.16 C2D MBP today. No whining or anything that I can tell. Absolutely beautiful piece of engineering. Feels quick, but it seems like it could probably use more RAM (I just have the default 1gig in now).
how do you already know you need ram? you just got it, lol.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
how do you already know you need ram? you just got it, lol.
I had a few things running (Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Power Point) and I just heard the harddrive going more than I thought I should. Maybe I'm just being nuts and want to find ways to spend the ~$330 I saved with the student discount and buying it in Delaware (no sales tax).
I love lamp! I love lamp...

wancothesane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:13 AM

i just bought a 2.33ghz 15" mbp from apple at arden fair.

they didn't have the glossy screens yet but i am glad i got the matte. the glare from the lightsources such as desk lamps would have killed my eyes. overall, i am enjoying every minute of this thing.

performance wise, i could feel a significant amount of speed and response from this laptop compared to my blueberry imac 400mhz G3.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 05:16 AM

Did you get the 160GB? Can you please run some comparisons against the 1.67?
Nope. Got the 120GB. I can't even get passed 45GB of local data.

Here's an Xbench comparison between my 1.67 GHz PB G4 and my 2.33 GHz C2D MBP. Xbench has changed its scaling, so you'll need to compare raw values rather than Xbench's points.

Xbench Version 1.1.3 - 1.3
System Version 10.3.8 (7U16) - 10.4.8 (8N1037)
Physical RAM 1024 MB - 2048 MB
Model PowerBook5,6 - MacBookPro2,2
Drive Type FUJITSU MHT2080AH - Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00

GCD Loop 7.60 Mops/sec - 13.94 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 733.26 Mflop/sec - 3.14 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 3.21 Gflop/sec - 2.63 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 8.11 Mops/sec - 15.05 Mops/sec
Computation 1.42 Mops/sec, 4 threads - 4.29 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 3.14 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads - 11.10 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Allocate 734.91 Kalloc/sec - 475.62 Kalloc/sec
Fill 1608.40 MB/sec - 6460.26 MB/sec
Copy 409.59 MB/sec - 2904.43 MB/sec
Copy 869.24 MB/sec [altivec] - 2392.13 MB/sec
Scale 882.18 MB/sec [altivec] - 2503.92 MB/sec
Add 793.12 MB/sec [altivec] - 2660.34 MB/sec
Triad 734.95 MB/sec [altivec] - 2663.26 MB/sec
Line 3.92 Klines/sec [50% alpha] - 8.25 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 12.12 Krects/sec [50% alpha] - 48.20 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 4.20 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] - 12.74 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 2.11 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] - 3.69 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 6.09 Kchars/sec - 5.40 Kchars/sec
Spinning Squares 98.92 frames/sec - 234.10 frames/sec
Elements 75.22 refresh/sec - 968.57 refresh/sec
Uncached Write 13.14 MB/sec [4K blocks] - 38.07 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 33.11 MB/sec [256K blocks] - 30.41 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 20.90 MB/sec [4K blocks] - 17.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 33.31 MB/sec [256K blocks] - 31.58 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Write 0.97 MB/sec [4K blocks] - 1.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 15.25 MB/sec [256K blocks] - 15.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 0.43 MB/sec [4K blocks] - 0.47 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 15.87 MB/sec [256K blocks] - 15.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 7, 2006 at 05:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules