Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Higher Res Screens

Higher Res Screens
MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 09:30 PM

do yall think we might see higher Res screens on the MBP with santa rosa or in january?
and whats the best screen quality for 15" that technology will allow us?

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2006, 09:38 PM

I think that we will see higher resolution displays when Leopard is out. I think Leopard is going to have a resolution independent GUI.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 10:52 PM

15" HD (1920x1200) LCDs for laptops have been available for over 3 years... Apple has shown no interest in offering them; not in the "Year of the Laptop", not in the "Year of HD".

I'm really not sure why they're holding back. But with Leopard's resolution-independent UI Apple may finally adopt them next year.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 10:57 PM

mac world expo maybe?

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 10:58 PM

or is that to fast?

phazedowt
Nov 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
or is that to fast?
Well, Intel has stated Q2'07, which is around Macworld. On the other hand, it seems too soon after the mbp was just updated. My prediction is an agonizing wait similar to the C2D wait, where PC manufacturers will start launching laptops with santa rosa, and the Mac faithful wait hungrily
Added: bottom line is that I think the chipset will drive an update which may or may not have a higher-res display.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

pcummins
Nov 6, 2006, 10:01 AM

You could probably follow this: MacMod.com - Your Mac Modification HQ - Hi-Def PowerBook and install a true HD screen into the MBP display, I haven't heard of anyone doing it to a genuine MBP so far, only an AluBook like in the link. I might be tempted as I'll probably be ordering a HD panel in for a projector project eventually, so I guess I could try fitting it into a MBP as a test to see how it goes before it heads into the projector.

Mark: if you're willing to compromise on the ExpressCard for eSATA, you can get yourself a MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles... (assuming the HD display upgrade is doable, which it seems to be, but unproven). Maybe Apple will add it as an option like Dell, but who knows.

IMHO - HD on a 15" screen is pushing it a tad, I usually recommend people to go for 1680x or 1440x pixels across rather than 1920 if they're looking at the screen all day. I wear glasses so I lose about 3" subjectively vs not wearing glasses due to their optical corrective properties (at least, that's what it looks like on my 24" display). Imagine 1920x on a 12" screen - pure evil! So demanding HD on a 15" display is not always in a persons best interest, depending on how good their eyes are and if they're wearing glasses.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 10:12 PM

well you woldnt have to make everything smaller on the screen. you could just have more detail.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
15" HD (1920x1200) LCDs
And I thought 1280x854 was nice...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by pcummins View Post
Mark: if you're willing to compromise on the ExpressCard for eSATA, you can get yourself a MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles... (assuming the HD display upgrade is doable, which it seems to be, but unproven). Maybe Apple will add it as an option like Dell, but who knows.

IMHO - HD on a 15" screen is pushing it a tad, I usually recommend people to go for 1680x or 1440x pixels across rather than 1920 if they're looking at the screen all day. I wear glasses so I lose about 3" subjectively vs not wearing glasses due to their optical corrective properties (at least, that's what it looks like on my 24" display). Imagine 1920x on a 12" screen - pure evil! So demanding HD on a 15" display is not always in a persons best interest, depending on how good their eyes are and if they're wearing glasses.
I have no desire to void my warranty by swapping the display, plus that would be rather expensive.
And I need the ExpressCard slot for cellular data, since Apple still isn't on that bandwagon either.

HD on a 15" widescreen is freaking gorgeous.

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
And I thought 1280x854 was nice...
1280x854 is like 3 generations old (1280xsomething, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200).
I'm surprised no one has 2560x1600 in a 17" or 1440x900 in a 12"; Toshiba used to have 1400x1050 12" tablets.

pcummins
Nov 7, 2006, 01:59 AM

Hm, it's about $200 for the display off eBay, thereabouts. Everything just slots in apparently. As I said, if I get a MBP + display for a projector I'd test it as a proof of concept, then swap it back out. I know what you mean about the cellular data hardware - the USB ones are pretty bulky still (or still on CardBus). I had a look at a 1680x 15" today - definitely no good for my eyes...

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 11:50 PM

cant you up the Res and keep the size of apps?

pcummins
Nov 8, 2006, 12:43 AM

You really do need a resolution independant OS and applications. I can increase the size in some applications, but not all applications or the OS in certain parts. The inconsistency of how things resize is a big issue at times (for example, what's the good of having larger text if the close window button is extremely small?)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 01:42 AM

If history serves as any indication, Higher Rez screens will never be an option for Apple.

At least I think so.

PS: In the same vain 2 button track pad will never EVER materialize on Apple notebooks.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules