Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I exchange it? It's just shy of a jet plane.

Should I exchange it? It's just shy of a jet plane.
volcano
Senior User
Nov 8, 2006, 05:00 AM

Alright.

So I received my beautiful 15" (stock) MacBook Pro last Wednesday, and everything was dandy. But lately I've been noticing how often my fans run... and how loud they can be even when nothing strenuous is going on. Take for instance right now: I'm running Safari and that's it... yet the fans are highly audible and noticeable... I even notice them more than I did on my Rev. A model! When things get intense (Photoshop, iTunes, Safari, Word, Mail, etc)... then this thing sounds like a jet plane about to take off. No joke.

Should I just try to exchange it? I still have 7 days left of the initial 14... although I didn't buy it from the retail Apple Store. I purchased it from the online store, and it's all stock except for the glossy screen, which the Apple stores carry anyway. I'm just worried that if I exchange it at the store that I'll get the crappy Fujitsu hard-drive instead of the Hitachi one that I have right now. (LMR vs. PMR)

Thoughts?

pcguy1
Nov 8, 2006, 08:52 AM

I think you worry too much about hd brand.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 08:59 AM

I have noticed the fan in my MBP ONCE, and that was in a VERY quiet room. Hit the Apple Store and show the Genius what's happening-they should agree that loud fan operation all the time indicates that something's wrong. Go ahead and go to the store-they have the status of your purchase in their system.

And I agree with pcguy1 that you're worried too much about drive brands. You have a real problem and you're expressing concern about a supposed problem.

BTW, my MBP's stock drive is a Segate Momentus ST9100824AS. Even at 5400 RPM it's FAST!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 12:15 PM

I would go to the Apple store for an exchange unless you want to fiddle with the fan control software floating around on these forums. My C2D 2.33 Ghz has no audible fan while net surfing and other light duties. It becomes loud when playing games though.

phazedowt
Nov 8, 2006, 12:32 PM

I agree with the general consensus here. I've had mine for 2 weeks now and the fan has only come on a couple times under heavy CPU load. Have you tried running Core Duo Temp (CoreDuoTemp :: Infos) to see how hot its actually getting when the fans run? If the fans come on at a low temp (<60degC), then there's definitely something wrong.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 02:00 PM

There've been reports that resetting the SMC helps to lower temps and fan noise. Worth a try, here's how:

Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 08:31 PM

Safari has a nasty habit of pegging the CPU at 100% on some pages... I'd check Activity Monitor and temperatures first.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2006, 09:25 PM

If you're having problems with the fans.. I'd say take it to the genius first. If they say thats normal.. return it and get another.

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 09:47 PM

Turn the A/C up. Ambient temperature makes a huge difference in fan activity, in my experience. Also, as mduell says, check Activity Monitor.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Safari has a nasty habit of pegging the CPU at 100% on some pages... I'd check Activity Monitor and temperatures first.
Myspace and Youtube are such pages.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2006, 05:27 AM

Quit all open apps. Does it still sound that loud?
Restart your Mac? Does it still sound that loud?
Reboot from the install DVD? Does it still sound that loud?

If yes, get a replacement. My C2D MBP is absolutely silent. It's probably the most quiet professional notebook I've ever used. The fans only get really loud when they ramp up towards their 6000 rpm max - and when they do it's because I'm making it do some really hard work.

Nov 9, 2006, 10:16 AM

I just got my new MBP - same model that you have - and it's as cool as a cucumber.

I have the Hitachi drive inside also.

Fan has never come on. When at the desktop it's on podium pad bought from the Apple Store and connected to Apple display.

I'll keep you posted and let you know if the fan starts running.

In the meantime, I'm not sure if you should return it or not. I think that you should keep it and have Apple send it in for repair if necessary.

Is there a way to tell if you have a rev A or rev B of these 15" MBPs?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Is there a way to tell if you have a rev A or rev B of these 15" MBPs?
Core 2 Duo -> rev B
Core Duo -> rev A

From the outside:
FW800 -> rev B
iSight indicator visible when iSight off -> rev A
narrowly spaced vent grill -> rev A

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 01:47 PM

Exchange it.

-Allen Wicks

Lokio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Exchange it.

What if you have a MacBook Pro (Core Duo)? I bought mine at our local Apple store back in June, and didn't have any problems at first. After a few months, we started having problems. For the past few months, it's been our only machine, and we could not be without it. Now we have a Mac Pro, and I was able to offload everything to it, and reload the OS.

Our symptoms are:
- Gets very hot (no, I did not take it apart and replace/reapply the paste).
- Won't fully shut off, even when sleeping (lid closed, light indicating sleep) - there is still something active. We have to power the machine all the way down. We can literally power the machine on. Log in, and then put it to sleep (after several minutes and everything is done loading), and we will hear the fans spinning even though the lid is closed and the light is indicating it's asleep. Every bit of the machine on the outside can be cold to the touch and it will won't shut the fans off. It can be "asleep" for over an hour, and still running.
- It will continue in the above state until the battery runs out after several hours (which is how we first noticed it - neither of us hears very well and weren't realizing that something was still on).
- Fans can spin very loudly at times, for no apparent reason, when in use.
- Battery drains much faster than it should, even with all devices (BT, wireless, etc.,) turned off.

I have reloaded the system. I've done all of the proper software/firmware updates. Reset everything that could be reset. The machine is well ventilated, etc.

If we take it in to our local Apple Store, what happens? We don't want to be without it, but could give it up since it has to be fixed - as I said, we have to power it all the way off, otherwise something is still going, and this is very worrisome, especially if we want to take it anywhere, and especially since it drains the battery.

I have a gig of OEM memory that I added about a month and a half ago (after the problems started). If they exchange it for a new MBP, one of the Core 2 Duos, does this memory no longer work? I wouldn't mind if they replaced it with a C2D, but for what we need it for, there is little difference between a CD and a C2D, and I don't want to have to buy new memory. As far as data/applications, I've backed everything off to our MP, and there is nothing on there that I would worry about if they do completely replace it.

Thanks.
( Last edited by Lokio; Nov 9, 2006 at 02:54 PM. )

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 02:48 PM

The same thing is happening to me. I got my MBP C2D on Monday. Right now, running nothing other than Firefox and smcFanControl, the temperature is hovering around 37-38 degrees Celsius, and the fans are running at around 6000rpm.

This happens every time I turn the damned thing on. I have about ten minutes of normal fan speed, and then they kick up to the max.

Called AppleCare today, and they say I have to take it in to the Apple Store, which is unfortunately at least 75 minutes from here.

In scouring the various Apple boards, I have found three people besides myself reporting this problem.

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Nov 9, 2006, 10:52 PM

I'm taking it in tomorrow afternoon to see if I can exchange it. I'm still within the 14 day return period until next Wednesday.

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 11:44 PM

The Geniuses at the Apple Store think that this problem is caused by the logic board, and could not give me a repair time estimate, since they don't have any parts for these new MBP C2Ds yet.

They sent me home to talk to an expert on the phone, who had me reinstall OS X. This didn't seem to help. However, he noted that on his girlfriend's Intel-based Mac, whenever she runs a PowerPC program, the fans ramp up.

Well, I have Office 2004 on here. I had also downloaded SnapzPro X or whatever it's called. Both appear in the Activity Monitor as PowerPC programs. I uninstalled Snapz (it was the trial version), and halted the process Microsoft AU Daemon.

Now the fans are back in the 2000rpm range.

Does this make sense?

Or is it the logic board. Opinions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules