Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My purchase - what do you guys think?

My purchase - what do you guys think?
tomster2300
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 01:43 PM

Well after realizing that I couldn't get as much as I wished for my current Windows laptop (It's very nice, but it depreciated rather quickly in little over a year), I took the plunge and bought an Apple Powerbook off ebay. It was kind of spontaneous actually. I was planning on getting a MacBook, but I saw this on ebay and couldn't resist.

Here are the specs for the PowerBook:

1.67 ghz PowerPc processor
2 gigs pc4200 ram
120 gb 5400 rpm 8mb cache Toshiba HD
Region Free DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (Pioneer)
OS X Tiger (10.4.7)

It came bundled with a ton of software, including iWork '06, iLife '06, Office for Mac, Final Cut Studio HD, Adobe Creative Suite 2, Macromedia Studio 8, Swifd 3D 4.5 & Xpress 1.00, Stuffit Delux 10, Toast Titanium 7, Logic Express 7.

He also included a mighty mouse and InCase carry case.

I paid $455.37 for it all too - was that a good deal? It's supposed to be in mint condition. I know it doesn't have the new Intel chips, but I don't see anything wrong with the old PowerPC chip - doesn't it get longer battery life than the Intels? It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up on.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll come and work great!

So...what do you guys think?

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tomster2300 View Post
PowerBook:

1.67 ghz PowerPc processor
2 gigs pc4200 ram
120 gb 5400 rpm 8mb cache Toshiba HD
Region Free DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (Pioneer)
OS X Tiger (10.4.7)

I paid $455.37 for it all too - was that a good deal?

It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up on.

Sorry, but it seems like too good a deal to be true. Beware: there are a lot of scams with PowerBooks on eBay.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 02:21 PM

That's what I'm afraid of myself - I have yet to send him payment. He didn't post shipping instructions so I am awaiting a final payment amount with shipping.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 02:29 PM

That's what I'm afraid of myself - I have yet to send him payment. He didn't post shipping instructions so I am awaiting a final payment amount with shipping.
If I were you, I would not pay and would contact eBay security center to see if it is legitimate.

Warning sides of fraud: you have to contact them before bidding, there is only a stock photo, the auction is 1 day only, payment must be made by western union or another method without recourse, seller who usually sells non computer items is suddenly selling multiple high demand computer items etc etc.

In general, if its too good to be true, its not true or good.

tintin220
Nov 24, 2006, 02:35 PM

Ask the seller for more images (and ask him/her to put something to verify that the picture wasn't taken off google, maybe a sheet of paper that has his/her ebay ID on it).

I'm sorry to say, but I'm with all the others in saying this is probably a scam. Though we can still be positive, and if you get it, consider yourself REALLY lucky. Thats still worth 1.5k+ on today's market.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 03:03 PM

Ebay just sent me an email telling me the listing has been canceled and that the individual is now being investigated. My bid has also been canceled.

Looks like my gut feeling turned out to be correct. Thanks to all of you guys who warned me.

Looks like I'm back in the market for a Mac now...lol.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 03:40 PM

Looks like my gut feeling turned out to be correct. Thanks to all of you guys who warned me.

Looks like I'm back in the market for a Mac now...lol.
Consider yourself very lucky that you didnt lose $$$.

For legitimate deals on PowerBooks, check out the special deals section on Apple Store's website. The 15 inch last model PowerBook refurbished shows up occasionally at $1350 with 1 year warranty. (they disappear quickly)

Because of the high demand for Apple products, eBay is more a sellers market than a buyers market for recent model PowerBooks and iPods. Great deals are scarce.

Good luck, and welcome to the Mac side.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post

For legitimate deals on PowerBooks, check out the special deals section on Apple Store's website. The 15 inch last model PowerBook refurbished shows up occasionally at $1350 with 1 year warranty. (they disappear quickly)

Because of the high demand for Apple products, eBay is more a sellers market than a buyers market for recent model PowerBooks and iPods. Great deals are scarce.

Always a good way is Craiglist.org

You can deal local and see what you get, before you pay!

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2006, 05:13 AM

It came bundled with a ton of software, including iWork '06, iLife '06, Office for Mac, Final Cut Studio HD, Adobe Creative Suite 2, Macromedia Studio 8, Swifd 3D 4.5 & Xpress 1.00, Stuffit Delux 10, Toast Titanium 7, Logic Express 7.
I'm really glad for you, that they discovered this guy before it was too late. The above software alone is worth a few PowerBooks.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
I'm really glad for you, that they discovered this guy before it was too late. The above software alone is worth a few PowerBooks.
Yeah but it is all illegal copies of course!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 02:32 PM

Just buy the MacBook. They're like $900 on refurb.

phazedowt
Nov 25, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post

Core duo MBPs frequently show up for around the same price as the last G4 PB on the Apple refurb site. IMO, the choice is obvious...
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 04:16 PM

I see that many G4 PowerBooks go for $1200-$1300... not sure why someone would pay more for a G4 than a new MacBook.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 25, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by phazedowt View Post
Core duo MBPs frequently show up for around the same price as the last G4 PB on the Apple refurb site. IMO, the choice is obvious...
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I see that many G4 PowerBooks go for $1200-$1300... not sure why someone would pay more for a G4 than a new MacBook.
It all depends on what you need, and how you perceive these things.

The G4 PowerBook refurbs are the last models (i.e. most of the bugs worked out). The MacBook Pro refurbs are the early models many of which were returned because of the various (and often multiple) problems that these early models have had (and have been lamented in these forums). Same for the MacBook refurbs.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable recommending a new C2D MacBook or MacBook Pro or a last model PowerBook refurb, depending on what the users needs were and how much $$$ they had to spend. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I'd feel less comfortable recommending the early core duo MacBook or MacBook Pro refurbs. Even though they have gone through the refurb process and have the same 1 year warranty, I'd still be worried about getting one with problems.

But, hey, thats just my opinion. To each his own. Thats why they make various models-so people have choices.

But, when the PowerBook refurbs show up on the Apple site, they are usually gone in hours. Someone's buying em.

Forum Links
Forum Rules