Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Muting laptop speakers w/headphone use

Muting laptop speakers w/headphone use
TasaBlat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 03:57 AM

Running an Intel Macbook under windows. Laptop has SigmaTel audio. I want to kill the laptop speakers while using the headphone jack. Looked through all the audio setups in control panel, both windows & sigma, no setting seems to do this. Any ideas? About to rip off the cover & dive in with my wire cutters...

Thanks

Dan

phazedowt
Dec 1, 2006, 09:47 AM

That should happen automatically (has in every Mac I've ever seen). Could the headphone plug not be seated all the way in?
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2006, 11:54 AM

Make sure you're using the latest Boot Camp drivers. There was an update the past few releases that lets you mute the speakers when headphones are plugged in (it does it automatically), but without the latest drivers it won't work.

Apple - Boot Camp
 Certified AppleCare Technician

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 1, 2006, 01:23 PM

ALL questions pertaining to running Windows on Mac hardware go in the "Alternative OS" forum, as clearly labeled.

Furthermore, this is a well-documented issue with well-documented solutions. Please search for them.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules