Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't Repair Permisssions in 10.5 or 10.5.1

Can't Repair Permisssions in 10.5 or 10.5.1
Thread Tools
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
 
When I use Disk Utility to repair them hangs about a third of the way through and hangs.

But, when I cancel the procedure it reports as if it has in fact gone through the whole process and all is fine. And the fan on my PB G4 1.67 goes crazy. Checked Activity Monitor. No sign of anything odd.

Anyone experiencing this?

Any 3rd party permission repair apps compatible with 10.5?
     
JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
 
It's probably NOT hanging... I posted something about this a while back, the basic response is it works perfectly fine for some, not for others. It takes me about 35 min to repair in 10.5 or 10.5.1
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
 
Yeah Applejack can't repair 10.4.11 either.
     
Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
 
When i repair permissions, this is the message i get:

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
     
PaperNotes
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 09:10 AM
 
It works for me but not like I want it to. IT doesnàt show me real time progress and looks like it has hanged when it hasn't.
     
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 11:31 AM
 
Try it from the Terminal: sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montréal, Qc
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 11:58 AM
 
Reggie: get exactly the same thing! This is really weird. What is hte problem with Loeapard???
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 12:29 PM
 
Absolutely nothing. What you are seeing is normal behavior.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
That's normal, but taking 35 minutes and 90% of CPU isn't.
     
Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
 
Just tried a permission repair using Cocktail 4.0. No dice. After a few minutes, it hangs and the dock icon reports "Application Not Responding."
     
Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 05:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Absolutely nothing. What you are seeing is normal behavior.
 
Does this procedure in Leopard now verify checksums as well?
-HI-
     
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Georgetown, TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
 
I saw a post elsewhere indicating that if one uses the larger "Combo" updater and then installs the 10.5.1 updater while in Safe Boot mode, the repair time is still long, but no errors are reported.

Does that make sense?

Can anyone else affirm/refute theses findings?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
 
Does this procedure in Leopard now verify checksums as well?
Well, not having the source code to it, I couldn't tell you exactly what it's doing, but my guess would be that it's checksumming any file that needs to have its SUID bit set, in order to avoid the huge security hole that Repair Permissions caused in Tiger, although I do find it curious that they're not just checking for Apple's code signature.

Oh well. Repair Permissions is probably the most overrated Mac feature ever anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 01:23 PM
 
All the GUI apps (including Cocktail) are doing is a sudo diskutil repairPermissions / .

What are you hoping to accomplish by repairing permissions anyway? It should be only an extremely rare occasion where you would have to run this tool, and it should be for a very specific purpose. Repairing permissions is not the new voodoo that makes random things work. If you have gotten into the habit of running it randomly just for fun - stop, this is not a good idea. Run it when you need to, and know when you need to.
     
PaperNotes
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
 
Go for it, BESSON!!!! Tell them off for trying to perform some disk spring cleaning. Something you Linux guys and coding geniuses never have to do. Kinda like your productivity level.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 01:42 PM
 
Except that he's right.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Go for it, BESSON!!!! Tell them off for trying to perform some disk spring cleaning. Something you Linux guys and coding geniuses never have to do. Kinda like your productivity level.

Take a deep breath Paper, figure out what is triggering you to go off in such an emotionally half-cocked way for no reason, deal with it, and leave me out of it... Thanks!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Except that he's right.

That's what makes that repair permissions exploit (that I think you hipped me to?) pure genius! Taking advantage of Mac users who run the thing thinking they are performing "spring cleaning" is exactly the sort of thing worth targeting - especially since it requires admin privileges.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 02:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
That's what makes that repair permissions exploit (that I think you hipped me to?) pure genius! Taking advantage of Mac users who run the thing thinking they are performing "spring cleaning" is exactly the sort of thing worth targeting - especially since it requires admin privileges.
Yep:

1. Hex edit a .bom file in /Library/Receipts so that it thinks the permissions on some run-of-the-mill file - say an Info.plist somewhere - are supposed to be root/wheel 4755

2. Replace said file with your own malicious code.

3. Wait for user to run Repair Permissions and set the SUID bit on your malicious code

4. Launch your malicious code and take control of the user's computer

5. ???

6. Profit!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
 
Yes, and since the Repair Permissions tool runs as root, this malicious code could also be run as root. Malicious code running as root = game over, all bets are off.
     
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
All the GUI apps (including Cocktail) are doing is a sudo diskutil repairPermissions / .

What are you hoping to accomplish by repairing permissions anyway? It should be only an extremely rare occasion where you would have to run this tool, and it should be for a very specific purpose. Repairing permissions is not the new voodoo that makes random things work. If you have gotten into the habit of running it randomly just for fun - stop, this is not a good idea. Run it when you need to, and know when you need to.
I agree. I've been using Mac OS X since the Public Beta. I'm also a network administrator for a few hundred Macs and have been for over 11 years. I have never once come across a situation that repairing permissions has solved a problem. Are there situations where it can solve problems, sure. But I've yet to come across one in my experiences.
Vandelay Industries
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
 
If you are seeing "permission denied" being spewed out to a log file (visible in Console.app), running the permissions repair script would be a sensible idea. It's too bad you can't run it just for a particular app/package.
     
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Athens, Greece
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
 
Alright the permissions problem is interfering with the boot camp installation. I can't create a windows partition because boot camp checks the disk and suggests to run disk utility
     
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 03:59 PM
 
That's not a permissions problem. That's a possible disk problem. It's suggesting to run Disk First Aid not repair permissions.
Vandelay Industries
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 04:01 PM
 
If it says to run Disk Utility, it's almost certainly referring to the "Repair Disk" feature rather than Repair Permissions. Actual damage to the directory information can make it dangerous to resize a partition, whereas permissions can't.

edit: beaten by Art Vandelay.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Except that he's right.
Having said that, if you muck around your OS and "touch" things, repairing permissions CAN fix things that are broke because of said permissions.

But once I have things done, and not bothered I rarely do it. I don't think any HARM can be done by doing it whenever you want however. If there is, I'd love to hear how and why.

BTW there is little anyone can do to your computer if you boot up with the OS X DVD and run a permission fix on it from the disk utility like Apple requests you do anyhow.

That is how we run up in here. yo.
     
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Athens, Greece
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 05:49 PM
 
Art Vandelay you were right. It was a repair disk thing. Already partitioned and installed windows. Thanks
     
fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 05:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
When i repair permissions, this is the message i get:

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Can anyone explain what all this lot means though? Would be interested to know as when I run this on my MacBook I get the same result. Should I worry about it or just get on with my life? Gentle responses please people, all this ferocious growling at each other is scary
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
 
SUID refers to the setuid bit. If this bit is set on an executable and the executable is owned by root, the executable will always launch as root whenever it is launched, even if the person launching it doesn't have admin privileges. Since setting this bit on the wrong file can be a very bad thing for obvious reasons, Apple is playing it safe in Leopard and not setting the setuid bit for any executable that has changed since it was installed (which means being updated to 10.5.1 is going to set it off).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2007, 01:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
my guess would be that it's checksumming any file that needs to have its SUID bit set, in order to avoid the huge security hole that Repair Permissions caused in Tiger
 
Thanks Charles, SUID files are probably checksummed for sure.
Perhaps they also validate any item which has 'improper' perms?
That was my thinking anyway (so they don't do every single file).

--

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
3. Wait for user to run Repair Permissions and set the SUID bit on your malicious code
 
As I keep reminding folks: there is no "waiting" whatsoever in step 3... no "user" necessary.
Malware proceeds directly to: /usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions / on its own volition.

That was the "beauty" of it.
-HI-
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,