Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > People who…

People who… (Page 3)
Thread Tools
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
 
People who feel a need to yell "SIDEWALK!!" at bicyclists from their car, right as they're passing one of these:



Or, one of these:


Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 03:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...post in the thread merely to contradict a previous post.
Bicyclists who take up a whole lane of traffic when the city spent hundreds of thousands on a beautiful bike path right next to the road we're on.
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 03:48 PM
 
People who drive their cars with their dog on their lap.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Cashiers who give you bills, and then stack coins on top.

Coins frigging first... like, in the little cuppy I'm making with my hand.

Boom! Headshot.
OMG! And I thought it was just me who gets annoyed as hell about that.

A long, long time ago when I worked at Mickey D's that was one of the first things they taught us. Hand people their change first, then give them bills. Even if you weren't paying attention common sense would eventually kick in after a few times of seeing the change slide off the bills all over the floor when you don't. I guess these days common sense just isn't that common.

OAW
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
 
Advertisers who make their stupid commercials twice as loud as the program you are watching. Usually I'm skipping commercials on the DVR anyway but on that rare occasion I don't I invariably experience this. What the hell makes them think that pissing a potential customer off and making them scramble to lower the volume is going endear them to their product?

OAW
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
People who think their car is a precious showpiece and then bitch when they park it at the mall and get a tiny dent that doesn't impact the performance or operation of their car one little bit.
People who do $2000 worth of damage to your car by denting your front fender and then bitch when you report it on their insurance.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
People who feel a need to yell "SIDEWALK!!" at bicyclists from their car, right as they're passing one of these:
OTOH, bicyclists on the sidewalk deserve to get pushed into traffic.

****ing menace.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 07:52 PM
 
People who don't know how to use motorways;
People who don't know how to drive in narrow country lanes;
Drivers who slow down or stop so that you have to pass them at the narrowest point of a road whereas you would have passed at a wide point if they just kept going;
People whose worldview is in direct contradiction to demonstrable reality;
People who run First (the bus company);
Windows fanboys;
People who think good music is suddenly bad because it is no longer in fashion;
People who only like music if no-one else has ever heard of it;
People who don't control their children;
People who think Liam Gallagher is cool;
People who are Liam Gallagher;
People who exclusively use pictures of their children as their profile pics on Facebook;
People who claim it will be tough to 'make ends meet' because they can't afford their second or third holiday this year (especially if they have children);
People who drive large 4x4s that never go off road;
Couples who drive buy 7 seater people carriers when they have their first child regardless of their intention to have more or not;
Journalists who think they know everything about any subject simply because they are a journalist;
People who believe UK road planners are worthwhile human beings deserving of the same rights and respect as (most of) the rest of us;
People who think reducing a speed limit is a good idea because someone who was on drugs and doing twice the old speed limit crashed and died on that bit of road;
People who have never worked a day in their life (and never intend to) and think they are entitled to anything at all;
Useless middle managers who think they are genuinely brilliant and deserve all the money and perks that they get;
Bored housewives who don't like the idea of being housewives so get their husbands to buy them a share in a business so they can play at being a businesswoman instead;


That thing people keep moaning about where cashiers put coins on top of paper money - Its to stop the paper money getting blown away. It happens. And its more annoying than having to slide a bill out from under some coins when it does.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its to stop the paper money getting blown away. It happens. And its more annoying than having to slide a bill out from under some coins when it does.
Opposable thumb fail?
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That thing people keep moaning about where cashiers put coins on top of paper money - Its to stop the paper money getting blown away. It happens. And its more annoying than having to slide a bill out from under some coins when it does.
Well that's a stretch. First of all, most people are exchanging money inside ... so random wind gusts aren't much an an issue. And even if that were the case, if you hand me my change and dollar bills separately instead of trying to lay them flat on my palm ... there are these useful things called fingers that I can utilize. Imagine that.

OAW
     
CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 11:00 PM
 
People who ride their bicycles while walking their 80 pound dog on the sidewalk.
     
11011001
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Up north
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Well that's a stretch. First of all, most people are exchanging money inside ... so random wind gusts aren't much an an issue. And even if that were the case, if you hand me my change and dollar bills separately instead of trying to lay them flat on my palm ... there are these useful things called fingers that I can utilize. Imagine that.

OAW
The solution is obvious: the cashier should mash the bills and coins into a single lump before depositing it into the customer's hand.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 05:00 AM
 
Hah, I knew that comment would catch some flak (that isn't why I said it). Truth is, no matter how a cashier hands someone their change, its probably going to annoy a certain percentage.

Some people like their coins stacked so they can see they are getting correct change quickly.
Some people hate when you screw up bills because they prefer them folded crisply to put in wallets etc.
Some people hate it when you put the change down on the counter and let them pick it up themselves.
I often used to use one hand to give back coins and one for bills. This is usually fine as long as the customer hasn't already grabbed up all their purchases and no longer has any hands free, in which case any way you do it is irrelevant.

Best practice will often come down to where the cashier in question is working. For example I worked in a cinema many years ago and people would frequently wrap one arm around a giant bag of popcorn with a bunch of keys in their hand, pick up a jumbo drink in the other hand and then expect you to insert coins and notes into the handful of keys like it was some kind of badly designed, HR Giger inspired vending machine.

Bottom line: If you are the sort of person who might get unreasonably annoyed by the cashier's chosen mechanism of change-giving, use a debit card.

For the record, even indoors, miles from a door or window, if you rest paper money on top of your hand, handing it to someone quickly will still cause it to blow away. Also air con. Thumbs are an option but there is still that semi-awkward handover where you can miss-time your thumb release and either the note blows away onto the floor or it looks like you are trying to keep it.


Also for the list: Women who wait in long lines standing still doing nothing, watch their items get scanned, bag them up, and THEN realise they might have to pay for them and start rummaging around in what may as well be an industrial size refuse sack full of packing peanuts trying to find their designer packing peanut-shaped purse (some of this is assumed due to the time it seems to take so many women to accomplish) so they can finally hand over some money. For a pack of gum.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Some people like their coins stacked so they can see they are getting correct change quickly.
A good cashier counts out the change for you.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Some people hate when you screw up bills because they prefer them folded crisply to put in wallets etc.
As well they should.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Some people hate it when you put the change down on the counter and let them pick it up themselves.
As well they should.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
For example I worked in a cinema many years ago and people would frequently wrap one arm around a giant bag of popcorn with a bunch of keys in their hand, pick up a jumbo drink in the other hand and then expect you to insert coins and notes into the handful of keys like it was some kind of badly designed, HR Giger inspired vending machine.
Okay, this is customer error. Put the shit down for a half-second. No one's going to swipe it.

I throw out my garbage after the movie's over BTW. People who don't get punched in the throat with a box of Sno-Caps.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 09:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
OTOH, bicyclists on the sidewalk deserve to get pushed into traffic.

****ing menace.
No kidding. Which is why it annoys me to no end that there are bicyclists who think that's what they're supposed to do, since idiots in cars keep yelling at them to do that.

My favorite thing ever is when one of those "SIDEWALK!!!" yellers gets stopped at a red light so I can catch up to him/her and explain that sidewalk riding is illegal and dangerous.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 09:36 AM
 
DOGPILE!

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That thing people keep moaning about where cashiers put coins on top of paper money - Its to stop the paper money getting blown away. It happens. And its more annoying than having to slide a bill out from under some coins when it does.
It's true, I can't tell you how any times this has saved me inside the grocery store, inside the retail chain, inside the mall, inside the movie theater, inside the restaurant...
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That thing people keep moaning about where cashiers put coins on top of paper money - Its to stop the paper money getting blown away. It happens. And its more annoying than having to slide a bill out from under some coins when it does.
North Americans don't do open air markets.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
My favorite thing ever is when one of those "SIDEWALK!!!" yellers gets stopped at a red light so I can catch up to him/her and explain that sidewalk riding is illegal and dangerous.
And then beat them with a tire iron.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 10:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
North Americans don't do open air markets.
Of course we don't. Our money might blow away.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
And then beat them with a tire iron.
Well, no, that would also be illegal and dangerous.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
 
This isn't about legal, it's about justice.
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 30, 2011, 09:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
A good cashier counts out the change for you.
Ugh, I hate it when they do that. Just give me the change and tell me what the total amount is. Individually counting every coin and note is just a waste of time.

Okay, this is customer error. Put the shit down for a half-second. No one's going to swipe it.
If I go to the cinema and (for some reason) buy loads of stuff in the candy shop there, I would definitely have it all scooped up in my hands when the cashier gives me back my change. I don’t want to hold up the queue by having to first receive and put away my change, and then start to pick and stack up all my stuff. Waste of time.

(I’m very time-efficient when shopping/standing in line. By the time the cashier has punched in the payment and the cash register has spit out the receipt, I’m usually already halfway out the door with my groceries)
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Ugh, I hate it when they do that. Just give me the change and tell me what the total amount is. Individually counting every coin and note is just a waste of time.
Not every coin, just coin groups.


Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
If I go to the cinema and (for some reason) buy loads of stuff in the candy shop there, I would definitely have it all scooped up in my hands when the cashier gives me back my change. I don’t want to hold up the queue by having to first receive and put away my change, and then start to pick and stack up all my stuff.
My stuff goes to the right as I get it, so as soon as the transaction has ended it takes one step and I'm clear. I want some napkins and salt anyway.

IME, overburdening yourself to the point where there's any difficulty in paying and/or getting your change back is holding up the line.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 1, 2011, 02:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
DOGPILE!


It's true, I can't tell you how any times this has saved me inside the grocery store, inside the retail chain, inside the mall, inside the movie theater, inside the restaurant...
...inside your car at a drive through.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 12:50 AM
 
What are these "bills" and "coins" you guys are talking about? Is this what people use in primitive areas where credit cards don't exist?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2011, 07:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What are these "bills" and "coins" you guys are talking about? Is this what people use in primitive areas where credit cards don't exist?
Its what ex-PSN customers use.
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What are these "bills" and "coins" you guys are talking about? Is this what people use in primitive areas where credit cards don't exist?
I just got back from ten days in China. Yes, cash is used there. Exclusively. Most annoyingly.

(Especially because the largest denomination of currency is 100 yuan, which is about $15, and everything down to 15¢ is in notes. Yay, walking around with sixty-odd bank notes in your pocket!)
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 08:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I just got back from ten days in China.
Did you get the 'burp directly into your face' treatment?
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
 
Just be glad you don't have to pay for things in Ningis.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Un...Monetary_units
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 03:28 PM
 
Cheapskates that get a cup for water at a restaurant, and then fill it with regular soda.

-t
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 03:32 PM
 
Most places I've been to have a free soda fountain but charge for the cup.
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
People who do $2000 worth of damage to your car by denting your front fender and then bitch when you report it on their insurance.
People who think it's everyone else's problem that their body shops charges rip-off rates to fix a tiny dent in their fender, because they know it's going on someone's insurance. Don't want to be bitched at, then have your body shop charge a reasonable price. $2000 for a tiny dent or scratch is not reasonable.

Dents happen, it's part of owning a car. Don't like it, don't park it at the mall. I'm not talking about collisions here, I'm talking about when you park six inches from the car beside you and then get all bent out of shape when you find a tiny dent. That's not deserving of a brand new paint job.
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 04:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Cheapskates that get a cup for water at a restaurant, and then fill it with regular soda.
Restaurants that have self-serve soda, but don't have free refills. Seriously, it costs the restaurant a few cents per cup. Want to charge me more? Then earn the price and fill my cup for me.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 04:45 PM
 
Dude, just shut-up already.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 5, 2011, 11:03 PM
 
-People who walk into a place and think that since they are in a rush, every one in line can shove it and start asking the cashier for their order proclaiming that they're in a rush. (Had this tonight)

-Cashiers who oblige to above cutters, and don't have balls by not saying anything due to not wanting to start a fight with a customer.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2011, 12:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
People who think it's everyone else's problem that their body shops charges rip-off rates to fix a tiny dent in their fender, because they know it's going on someone's insurance. Don't want to be bitched at, then have your body shop charge a reasonable price. $2000 for a tiny dent or scratch is not reasonable.

Dents happen, it's part of owning a car. Don't like it, don't park it at the mall. I'm not talking about collisions here, I'm talking about when you park six inches from the car beside you and then get all bent out of shape when you find a tiny dent. That's not deserving of a brand new paint job.
Cool story brah. Watch how you open your car door.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2011, 12:23 AM
 
It's okay shaddim, he obviously hasn't had to buy his own car, and the bank of mom and dad is always open for him.
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
It's okay shaddim, he obviously hasn't had to buy his own car, and the bank of mom and dad is always open for him.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. My family was too poor to own a car. When I grew up, I got an education (which I paid for myself) so I could get a good job so that I can afford to buy my own cars.

And I do watch how I open my doors. I just don't act like it's the end of the world when someone dents mine, and I don't expect others to act that way either. The car still drives, which is what I bought it for in the first place. If I was buying a car for showing off, I wouldn't park it in a crowded parking lot.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
 
There'd is obviously a difference between owning a car and being very concerned about the perfection of its appearance. I park to avoid potential "easy to dent" situations, but I also have a couple minor dents from parking lots, none of which is enough to worry about. My son's first new car (which I am paying for) got its first dent after about six months on the road, and it was a careless parking lot dent. He was quite upset until I explained that I wasn't. Kind of like when he was a kid, if it wasn't serious bleeding, it wasn't a major emergency, a minor ding with no paint damage, wasn't a big deal. While he doesn't keep the car as clean as I would like, it is still rolling around with only that one dent. When and if I get around to it, I may get one of those suction-based dent pullers and take care of it...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2011, 01:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There'd is obviously a difference between owning a car and being very concerned about the perfection of its appearance. I park to avoid potential "easy to dent" situations, but I also have a couple minor dents from parking lots, none of which is enough to worry about. My son's first new car (which I am paying for) got its first dent after about six months on the road, and it was a careless parking lot dent. He was quite upset until I explained that I wasn't. Kind of like when he was a kid, if it wasn't serious bleeding, it wasn't a major emergency, a minor ding with no paint damage, wasn't a big deal. While he doesn't keep the car as clean as I would like, it is still rolling around with only that one dent. When and if I get around to it, I may get one of those suction-based dent pullers and take care of it...
Actually paintless dent removal is best done asap after the dent.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
People who think it's everyone else's problem that their body shops charges rip-off rates to fix a tiny dent in their fender, because they know it's going on someone's insurance. Don't want to be bitched at, then have your body shop charge a reasonable price. $2000 for a tiny dent or scratch is not reasonable.

Dents happen, it's part of owning a car. Don't like it, don't park it at the mall. I'm not talking about collisions here, I'm talking about when you park six inches from the car beside you and then get all bent out of shape when you find a tiny dent. That's not deserving of a brand new paint job.
Don’t want to have to deal with your insurance raising your premium because of an overcharged repair like this? Don’t smash your door into other people’s cars, then. It is possible to open a car door, even when the neighbouring car is parked too close, without cause any dents or scratches.

(I’m not saying that parking six inches from the next car over is acceptable—but two wrongs don’t make a right.)
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
 
Related to parking lots.

-people who can't find it in their duty to put their shopping cart back into that holder thing, and leave it in spots next to where they park, making the spot/s useless
     
Doc HM
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 03:58 PM
 
Shop assistants who answer the phone when customers are queuing and then proceed to deal with the phone query as if the phoner was magically more important than the waiting customers.

Surely the etiquette would be to note where in the real queue the caller was and serve all the customers up to that point before getting round to the caller. Never seen it actually happen that way though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 04:07 PM
 
^ I suppose that stems partly from older times (heh, ‘older times’—like five years ago …), back when phone calls weren’t normally free/included. Standing in line for 25 minutes doesn’t actually cost you anything, directly, but hanging on the phone for 25 minutes did.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Shop assistants who answer the phone when customers are queuing and then proceed to deal with the phone query as if the phoner was magically more important than the waiting customers.

Surely the etiquette would be to note where in the real queue the caller was and serve all the customers up to that point before getting round to the caller. Never seen it actually happen that way though.
This may be cultural. Most people I've encountered in the US have this down, or at least try to multitask.
     
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 11:20 PM
 
people who just stand on escalators, like it's an elevator.

Especially annoying in an airport. Such as those annoying people who run through the airport cutting lines yelling at security how they're about to miss their flight then when they get to the escalator they just stand there with their giant roller carry-on blocking any way of getting past them.. its shaped like stairs for a reason... eveyrone shouldn't have to wait behind you because youre lazy.
the largest problem for Americans today is they eat too much food and dont have enough work to do to keep their heart healthy
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2011, 11:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
^ I suppose that stems partly from older times (heh, ‘older times’—like five years ago …), back when phone calls weren’t normally free/included. Standing in line for 25 minutes doesn’t actually cost you anything, directly, but hanging on the phone for 25 minutes did.
They still do cost you directly, if you have a cell phone plan with a limited number of minutes per month.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2011, 08:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Shop assistants who answer the phone when customers are queuing and then proceed to deal with the phone query as if the phoner was magically more important than the waiting customers.

Surely the etiquette would be to note where in the real queue the caller was and serve all the customers up to that point before getting round to the caller. Never seen it actually happen that way though.
The last couple of places I had a situation like this happen, the shop guy asked the phone person to hold while he/she finished helping me. I appreciated that.

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
people who just stand on escalators, like it's an elevator.

Especially annoying in an airport. Such as those annoying people who run through the airport cutting lines yelling at security how they're about to miss their flight then when they get to the escalator they just stand there with their giant roller carry-on blocking any way of getting past them.. its shaped like stairs for a reason... eveyrone shouldn't have to wait behind you because youre lazy.
Arrggg. An escalator is NOT a ride placed there for your amusement. I usually take the stairs at the airport, often this set:


The first thing I learned in Japan is that you stand still on the left so that people can walk on the right, and EVERYBODY follows this. You'll get chewed out if you don't. Mall, airport, where ever. Love that place.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2011, 09:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Don’t want to have to deal with your insurance raising your premium because of an overcharged repair like this? Don’t smash your door into other people’s cars, then. It is possible to open a car door, even when the neighbouring car is parked too close, without cause any dents or scratches.

(I’m not saying that parking six inches from the next car over is acceptable—but two wrongs don’t make a right.)
I've been driving for >25 years and have never, knock on wood, whacked someone's car with my door. It's easy to avoid if you just pay attention.

However, I've never been in a traffic accident that involved another driver either, so maybe I'm not a typical motorist.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Stand on the escalator.

Escalators are stairs, people.
People who don't read the whole thread.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,