Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Scan

Scan
hmericchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 08:49 AM

Hi guys,

I am a new user of MAC. It was an all new, stable experience compare to my aged PC. Everything was fine until last week, my client ask me to scan a file for him. I am unable to find the "SCAN" function. In PC, I could either select the scan function that comes with Microsoft Windows, or use external softwares that comes from HP. Sadly I couldn't find neither on MAC. Can someone please help me to resolve this?

Many Thanks,

Eric

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 09:27 AM

What scanner? If it's HP, go to the HP site and download the Mac version of the software appropriate for your scanner.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2007, 09:42 AM

If you're talking about "scanning for viruses", then the issue is simply that you don't need to do that with OS X. If it's absolutely necessary to make sure a file is safe to pass on to a Windows user, you can use one of the available Mac antivirus packages to scan the file, but that's about it. There are no active, live viruses that can affect Macs. While many of us use antivirus software because our employers or schools require it, it's not absolutely necessary for the safety or security of your Mac. You can call this a professional opinion too, since I used to be a computer security professional responsible for a LOT of PCs.

Oh, and I'm moving this to the OS X forum, since it isn't anything to do with any particular Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 11:17 AM

If it was an Epson scanner (some models at least) you could use Image Capture (in your Applications folder). For an HP scanner you will have to download the scanner driver from their website. We could help locate the driver if you give us the exact scanner model.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 11:21 AM

The printer should come with drivers and a scanning app for whatever printer. HP printers come with Mac drivers and software.

BTW, Mac = Macintosh, MAC = Machine Access Code
Signature depreciated.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
MAC = Machine Access Code
Actually it means Media Access Control.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 01:18 PM

You can also try to use Image Capture in your Applications folder. It contains lots of drivers for lots of scanners.

Forum Links
Forum Rules