Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 11)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So fatty, I know it's early yet, but some initial impressions after a weekend on BF3?
Well I can't say much about anything broad-gameplay related since I've only stuck with the Engineer Kit, but so far I'm enjoying myself. Guess I'll just give some pro and con bullet points.

Pro

•Obviously the larger scale of the game cuts down on the overall level of clusterf**k I'd become accustomed to. You are actually able to run away from a losing battle at least 50% of the time, which is nice.

•Just wounding an enemy isn't such a cockblock thanks to the health system. Getting a couple hitmarkers on someone before they disappear doesn't mean they'll get off scot-free.

•Gunplay is more satisfying, in fact, kills of any kind seem more satisfying. I make this comparison all the time, but the shooting feels more like STALKER. Guns kick around and you can't rely on every shot to hit the target, I like that.

•Moving around, prone-ing, parkour-ing all feel very solid without the sensation of running in mud. I've only had some difficulty jumping through windows, but I imagine that's just my impatient CoD like mindset that is getting in the way. It's nice that you can prone to avoid a gunfight, but end up at a disadvantage having to get back on your feet without the gun up. A nice balanced approach compared to the drop-shot-ing nonsense in CoD.

• Destructible environments get a big from me, and IMO, CoD would benefit greatly from this approach. Enemies holed up in a building? Blow the wall away, problem solved.

Con

•No idea why you can't modify your kits in between matches, really, just don't have a clue why that wasn't thought of. At this point I'm unlocking shit in almost every match, having to wait until I'm in another match or back in the menus to tinker is silly.

•Vehicle controls are, to be honest, entirely unintuitive and clunky. Maybe they were going for this, but still. The first three times I attempted to fly a jet I went 1. Into the water 2. Out of Bounds and 3. Straight up and back down into the water. I think the controls of Halo vehicles are just about as close to perfect driving mechanics in a game that isn't all about driving as you can get. The first time I ever flew a Banshee in Halo I did fine, that's good design.

•Being a n00b is frustrating. Some of these higher level guns really tear me apart at medium-close range. I'm doing better now that I have a sight and the grip. Same goes for snipers, seems the ones you start with are pretty weak and the higher level ones (bolt-action I assume?) seem to pack more punch. I know it's standard fare, but starting off in a game where everyone already has the best shit is tough.

So besides some small nits to pick, I'm enjoying the game and getting better with each passing match. I wish the vehicles controlled different, but I'll just have to adapt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
it's everything that you can get a score for- caps, kills, assists, resupply, revives, suppression kill, MAV spotting, ribbons, medals, etc. the score that gets applied to time played is everything but class XP I believe
It must be the ribbons adding quite a bit to my SPM, because this is what has me confused:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well I can't say much about anything broad-gameplay related since I've only stuck with the Engineer Kit, but so far I'm enjoying myself. Guess I'll just give some pro and con bullet points.

Pro

•Just wounding an enemy isn't such a cockblock thanks to the health system. Getting a couple hitmarkers on someone before they disappear doesn't mean they'll get off scot-free.
Nothing a good medic can't fix. Just wait til you've played a while, but a good squad will often times have a diverse crew for reasons such as this. You'd probably have seen this already if I weren't busy leveling other weapons and classes.

•Gunplay is more satisfying, in fact, kills of any kind seem more satisfying. I make this comparison all the time, but the shooting feels more like STALKER. Guns kick around and you can't rely on every shot to hit the target, I like that.
I can't speak to the gunplay, but certainly the results can be intensely satisfying. Whenever I'm not accidentally proning, I do get some intense satisfaction from certain kills and firefights.

•Moving around, prone-ing, parkour-ing all feel very solid without the sensation of running in mud. I've only had some difficulty jumping through windows, but I imagine that's just my impatient CoD like mindset that is getting in the way.
As I said, drop to crouch after the mantle and you'll squeeze through. Makes sense as you couldn't get out a window in real life while completely upright.

• Destructible environments get a big from me, and IMO, CoD would benefit greatly from this approach. Enemies holed up in a building? Blow the wall away, problem solved.
It's also good for dynamic gameplay. On Metro Conquest you can push the russians back into their spawn and snipe them from the buildings, but a few RPGs from engineers and you're sitting in the open face of a building.

Con

•No idea why you can't modify your kits in between matches, really, just don't have a clue why that wasn't thought of. At this point I'm unlocking shit in almost every match, having to wait until I'm in another match or back in the menus to tinker is silly.
I blame time/polish or general UI incompetence (We only just got the ability to quit between matches recently). I also get aggravated that you can't tweak your weapons during the killcam. In fact, you can't even enter the start menu during the killcam. WTF?!

•Vehicle controls are, to be honest, entirely unintuitive and clunky. Maybe they were going for this, but still. The first three times I attempted to fly a jet I went 1. Into the water 2. Out of Bounds and 3. Straight up and back down into the water. I think the controls of Halo vehicles are just about as close to perfect driving mechanics in a game that isn't all about driving as you can get. The first time I ever flew a Banshee in Halo I did fine, that's good design.
First, I think all the land vehicles are perfectly mapped o the controller. Second, check out the different control schemes available for the vehicles. I don't believe I use default on either the chopper of plane. Third, there was some talk about the helis in BC2 being too good, hence the less accessible controls, though lately I've started seeing some circle-strafing rapage.

Look at this way, you appreciate the gunplay being less accessible than CoD, in time perhaps you'll learn to appreciate vehicles requiring some skill?

•Being a n00b is frustrating. Some of these higher level guns really tear me apart at medium-close range. I'm doing better now that I have a sight and the grip. Same goes for snipers, seems the ones you start with are pretty weak and the higher level ones (bolt-action I assume?) seem to pack more punch. I know it's standard fare, but starting off in a game where everyone already has the best shit is tough.
I was complaining about this in the beta. I know people love their unlocks, but there has to be a better way. Maybe the great next-gen FPS will fix this.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2012, 04:13 PM

I finally got by battlelog set up. Forgot that I had an older EA account (from my Burnout Paradise days) that was already linked to my Gamertag. I had to link this account to Origin. If you can't find me, my Origin tag is Stogieman20.

• So Crosbies, how'd you enjoy Fire in the Sky? I'll help you out and recommend experimenting with control schemes till you find the right one that works for piloting the copper. I changed mine and immediately started flying longer.
My brother was doing quite well flying the helicopter. After my 10th try, I was finally able to move forward without crashing into a cliff. Which control scheme are you using Dakar?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I finally got by battlelog set up. Forgot that I had an older EA account (from my Burnout Paradise days) that was already linked to my Gamertag. I had to link this account to Origin. If you can't find me, my Origin tag is Stogieman20.
I already accepted your friend request. I also noticed it doesn't notify people when they have pending requests.

My brother was doing quite well flying the helicopter.
Cool, hopefully he'll be good in a jet, too. I enjoy flying the chopper, and I think I'm above average when it comes to it, but the sad reality is I don't get to do it much when playing with apsolid or chris g, because both have very successful tandems I feel guilty intruding on.

Which control scheme are you using Dakar?
For both Jets and Choppers, pitch and yaw on left stick, roll on right. I found that too often on default controls, as I was trying to control pitch, I was affecting my roll unintentionally and that when I'd adjust my yaw I was often trying to adjust my pitch as well.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 24, 2012, 07:50 AM

Forgot to add, shot of the completed ribbons section.

Feels good, man.
Do want! Quick pic of mine so far...

This is an improvement that that i cannot believe hasn't made its way into every current FPS, but the magnitude of the destruction is commendable. These are the kind of features that COD should have made.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 24, 2012, 07:58 AM

Hell yeah.
Want to try and meet up Thursday for some co-op/Achievement hunting?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Do want! Quick pic of mine so far...
Bogues, you seem to be picking up the game fairly fast. Not sure how long it took me to get that far along.

I'm particularly resentful of your 25 knife kills. Just hit 200 last night, but I've played far, far longer.

This is an improvement that that i cannot believe hasn't made its way into every current FPS, but the magnitude of the destruction is commendable. These are the kind of features that COD should have made.
It certainly makes playing Rush a bastard. THe M-COM starts out in this nice fortified area, and as the game carries on the location will usually get shot to hell so hard any ability to sneak or camp will be eliminated as it becomes a barren wasteland.

---

Brutal night, last night. It's hard to find good servers. It seems either they have too small a rotation, too poor a map selection, or too many tickets. I actually like 200% games of Conquest, but that's a disaster in Rush. I like mixing Conquest & Rush, but the official servers also throw in TDM (fatty, I take it you're not a fan. Certainly, the amount of maps with good TDM is few). I actually just checked server prices out of curiosity, but that seems a little far-fetched.

---

I'm disturbed at the speed with which fatty is blowing through the engineer class. He's now unlocked the javelin, which means we'll be doing some SOFLAMM shenanigans soon.

---

Last night was cruel, but the one thing we were fortunate to have was good medics. Had a great evil moment where I kamikaze'd a tank, suicide/double-killed them with C4, and they got to watch a medic revive me in the killcam. Suckkkkkkkkkkkkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 11:35 AM

Want to try and meet up Thursday for some co-op/Achievement hunting?
Sure. I'll try to get on a little earlier than 10pm eastern time.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 24, 2012, 11:35 AM

Bogues, you seem to be picking up the game fairly fast. Not sure how long it took me to get that far along.

I'm particularly resentful of your 25 knife kills. Just hit 200 last night, but I've played far, far longer.
For some reason I've become very attached to the knife and silencer as the radar IMO plays a huge part in the more close quarter battles, but i wish I had more grenades, One is not enough and I'm too dedicated to the medic/defib to switch to ammo (support class?) just to refill my grenade itch.
Also I'm still trying to find an assault rifle of choice, any recommends Dakar?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 12:31 PM

Now that I'm never on, you guys are hopping on en masse?

Hope some of you are still on tonight when I'm back from work.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 12:43 PM

I've been lucky with the amount of time my g/f has allowed me to hog the TV.

I'll try my best to play tonight, but no promises.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 01:03 PM

For some reason I've become very attached to the knife and silencer as the radar IMO plays a huge part in the more close quarter battles, but i wish I had more grenades, One is not enough and I'm too dedicated to the medic/defib to switch to ammo (support class?) just to refill my grenade itch.
Of course, you look to be playing way more TDM and SDM. Let's see you get those knife kills in Conquest.

FYI, you'll get a perk–err, specialization, that let's you carry an extra grenade at rank 20.

Also I'm still trying to find an assault rifle of choice, any recommends Dakar?
I wasn't crazy about it, but the KH's usage stats hold up well vs. the other ARs on my list. I had good times with the F2000, too (unlike MW2). I haven't used my top pick, though, since the new patch, which would the FAMAS.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Now that I'm never on, you guys are hopping on en masse?
Whoa, whoa, whoa, there, misplaced outrage. I saw you twice while I was on, and after four days of play fatty has an hour less playtime than you.

I've been lucky with the amount of time my g/f has allowed me to hog the TV.
I was wondering.

I'll try my best to play tonight, but no promises.
After the off and on beatdowns we've been receiving I wouldn't mind a night off, though I'll probably log if I see Chrisg or apsolid on.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 02:27 PM

My playing time is skewed, seeing as I've got a high-energy youngling.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 02:55 PM

After the off and on beatdowns we've been receiving I wouldn't mind a night off, though I'll probably log if I see Chrisg or apsolid on.

That's ok Dakar, I understand.

Hey Bogues, how good are you at flying the chopper? I'm going to use tonight to get some air time in (Fire in the Sky). I'm hoping to improve flying skills by Thursday.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 02:57 PM

You sound like my brother.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 03:21 PM

Yeah, but that's not our problem. Or should we complain to you about having the kid at the wrong time?

That's ok Dakar, I understand.
ap and chris both sign on with their friends who are also very good. So I'm saying if I get on tonight, it's for guaranteed domination.

Hey Bogues, how good are you at flying the chopper? I'm going to use tonight to get some air time in (Fire in the Sky). I'm hoping to improve flying skills by Thursday.
So, did you look into changing your controls yet?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 03:36 PM

Oh, I forgot, the Physical Warfare Pack is a free download for everyone. Not sure all it unlocks other than the Type 88 LMG.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 04:04 PM

You sound like my brother.
Changes everything, man. Everything.

Yeah, but that's not our problem. Or should we complain to you about having the kid at the wrong time?
Not blaming. Just lamenting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 04:07 PM

Duh.

Not blaming. Just lamenting.
The first of many... bwahahahaaaaaaa

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 05:19 PM

The likelihood of me playing tonight is looking pretty good. Think you can stoop down to play with n00bs only?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2012, 09:53 PM

I'm making food now, I can do some games afterwards.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2012, 01:40 AM

Out of curiosity, why did you pick it up? This is the first tme you played any of it, or just the multi?
It was a gift from the wife. When I got on the other night, that was the first time I played the game. My time has been very limited these days. Probably 10 hrs/week if that. Had been playing Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 3 and Zelda for the last few months. Gotta say I hope I can get on early enough to play with you all. Just hard to do with my kids.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2012, 01:42 AM

Don't bother trying to explain. They have no idea what responsibility is.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2012, 01:51 AM

My brother was doing quite well flying the helicopter. After my 10th try, I was finally able to move forward without crashing into a cliff.
Haha! Yeah, and it only took you about 30 trys to finally get to the camp so I could finally start shooting!

Cool, hopefully he'll be good in a jet, too.
I've only gotten the chance to fly a helicopter so far. Had no instructions about how to fly one, but I got the concept down pretty fast.

I will certainly be getting some licks in with this game. I don't know. Adding vehicles adds so much more to the gameplay, strategy and longevity to it. I love that! Should have started playing this shit months ago.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Don't bother trying to explain. They have no idea what responsibility is.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 09:28 AM

stogie, you do realize what happened during that last game last night, right?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2012, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I was getting my ass kicked by that ****ing tank.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 11:37 AM

Yeah, I was getting my ass kicked by that ****ing tank.
The admin logged into the game and shuffled the teams so we had all the noobs. Guess which team he was on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 01:04 PM

I forgot to mention, having someone using the designator from the third tank seat is just amazingly useful. Went 19-3 last night on a game of Canals where I was destroying the air support (and so was everyone else). That said, it is Canals, and it was against little birds, but the point remains, if you have multiple tanks or SOFLAMMs spotting, you can start inflicting damage from great distances that the other team can't fight off as easily.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2012, 01:50 PM

The admin logged into the game and shuffled the teams so we had all the noobs. Guess which team he was on.
What a dick.

In other news, I completed my first assignment last night (Fixing it) and destroyed my first tank with the repair torch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2012, 02:02 PM

Yeah, you're making nice progress. How did you pick your spot to attempt the repair torch destroy?

I surmised my best bet would be on a hurt tank, so I fired a rocket at one then jumped behind it and went to town with the torch. Hilariously, it was a triple kill. Lucky he didn't run over me, though, which tends to happen when I'm trying to C4 the bastards.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2012, 03:56 AM

So, did you look into changing your controls yet?
Yep. I changed the sticks to southpaw and it made a huge difference.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 08:48 AM

Took the day off of work.... BF3 all day (maybe a little laundry in between matches)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 09:53 AM

Last night was as close to perfect as it gets. Found a custom server with a solid map rotation and default tickets and went to town. Had my first 10k game with default tickets (on Damavand?!).

More importantly, though, I've fallen in love with the Support Class all over again. I've finally adjusted to the crazy recoil, so now those deep clips and suppressive fire can allow for some serious multi-kill action. At some point last night I had a spurt of seven kills in under a minute just taking on all comers defending a cap.

I also got to C4 some tanks successfully, with my one kamikaze ending with Ojester reviving me... bwahahahaha. Great night, all around.

Also, here's the link for the free Physical Warfare Pack: Physical Warfare Pack - Xbox.com

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 10:28 AM

Battlefield 3: Close Quarters Donya Fortress Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

Battlefield 3: Close Quarters Gameplay Premiere Trailer - YouTube

Haven't watched these, but this is the list of weapons mentioned in the videos:

ACW-R
SPAS 12
MTAR-21
AUG
LSAT
L86A1
SCAR-L

ACR and the TAR. I'm in MW2 heaven.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2012, 01:18 PM

Took the day off of work.... BF3 all day (maybe a little laundry in between matches)
OOoooo, look for Fatty. Thursdays are the little ladies Yoga/NBC lineup night with her sister, I plan on Battlefielding it up hard tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 01:35 PM

Alright, I created a platoon for NN and invited everyone but fatty (sek, you need to accept my friend request).

OOoooo, look for Fatty. Thursdays are the little ladies Yoga/NBC lineup night with her sister, I plan on Battlefielding it up hard tonight.
Tonight is movie night, but I'll be on between 9.30 and 10.

---

Bogues, you look like you're getting stomped today.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2012, 01:42 PM

Tonight is movie night, but I'll be on between 9.30 and 10.
What's in the queue, Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 01:48 PM

What's in the queue, Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood?
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2012, 02:00 PM

Oh, for the other NNers I'm not linked to yet, for some reason my Origins account user name is RyanADean instead of Jawbone54.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 02:11 PM

Ha, I was on battlelog just in time to see you log on and accept the platoon invite. Well, guess that'll be the limit of your BF3 activity this month.

Also, sek, I'm an idiot, I'll be on closer to 8.30-9.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 02:13 PM

Bogues, you look like you're getting stomped today.
Stomped?!...

More like annihilated.
Unlocked the FAMAS and gave it a quick run, first the fire rate is crazy but the iron sights are absolutely terrible (ACOG helps here) and the recoil plus average bullet damage makes it pretty ineffective at med/long range (IMO).

I've spent a few matches completely ignoring my K/D trying to feel out the vehicle combat more (mostly how to counter them), what's your advice here Dakar? Is vehicle on vehicle the most effective or am I just misusing the RPG/Stinger? I guess its also entirely possible i have not unlocked the more effective weapons in the engineer class.

Also played a few of the Back to Karkland maps....awesome.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 02:17 PM

After watching these i'm pumped for this DLC, indoor combat with absolute crazy destruction...yes please.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 02:20 PM

Unlocked the FAMAS and gave it a quick run, first the fire rate is crazy but the iron sights are absolutely terrible (ACOG helps here) and the recoil plus average bullet damage makes it pretty ineffective at med/long range (IMO).
With all the guns, you really need to unlock some key attachments before they can be used to their full potential. Particularly for those with heavy recoil or terrible iron sights. Lastly, I always used the FAMAS on burst fire and just spammed the trigger. Heavily reduced the recoil.

I've spent a few matches completely ignoring my K/D trying to feel out the vehicle combat more (mostly how to counter them), what's your advice here Dakar? Is vehicle on vehicle the most effective or am I just misusing the RPG/Stinger? I guess its also entirely possible i have not unlocked the more effective weapons in the engineer class.

Also played a few of the Back to Karkland maps....awesome.
Well, you're going to have to be specific as to what vehicles/situations. I saw you had 4 kills with the stinger in one game, which is astounding. I have like 30 total in all my time.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 02:27 PM

Well, you're going to have to be specific as to what vehicles/situations. I saw you had 4 kills with the stinger in one game, which is astounding. I have like 30 total in all my time.
Your a crazy battlelog stalker. lol
Two situations i'm looking to work on,
First: Anti Air (mostly jets) on a large scale map, how to attack from the ground?

Second: Anti Tank: During an attack or defend of a area in rush and conquest, how do i go head to head with a tank?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 02:45 PM

Your a crazy battlelog stalker. lol
I crushed a project this week and have some free time today before an even bigger one hits. I'm bored.

Two situations i'm looking to work on,
First: Anti Air (mostly jets) on a large scale map, how to attack from the ground?
After the last patch they nerfed to lock-on distance of the stinger and igla. Given the speed of the jets, this means unless they're running parallel to you, they will come into and out of range long before you get a full lock.

Second, there are two air vehicle perks that they can be running: Stealth and Below Radar. Stealth increases the amount of time it takes to get a full-lock, while Below Radar makes it impossible to get any kind of lock if the aircraft is flying within a certain height of the ground.

Between these two changes, shooting down aerial vehicles has become near impossible. This doesn't even take into account flares or ECM Jammer breaking lock.

The best solution requires a coordinated squad running a Recon with SOFLAMM and an Engineer with the Javelin. The Javelin is traditionally used against ground vehicles, however any targets that are painted (orange diamond) can be locked on with the javelin and fired from much greater distances. You'll probably need the explosive perk and/or a Support player dispensing ammo as well, as the Javelin holds the least amount of ammunition.

Second: Anti Tank: During an attack or defend of a area in rush and conquest, how do i go head to head with a tank?
Well, most engineers do the Hide & Seek method, where they only expose themselves long enough to fire off an RPG before retreating off into cover to reload. Running solo, this will require 3 or 4 rockets, without taking the possibility of the tank being repaired into account.

Second, you can increase the amount of damage you can deal to a tank by carefully selecting where you hit it. Tanks are most heavily armored in the front, followed by the top and sides, and are weakest at the rear. A lucky rocket to the rear can bring the tank to its knees (disable).

The javelin deals far more damage to tanks, usually disabling in one hit to anywhere but the front. The trade-off is it requires time for it to lock on, leaving you exposed and a tempting target for infantry. Two javelins will usually destroy a tank, again, not taking repairs into account.

Your last engineer class option is more passive – AT Mines. Lace the road with them and when the tank runs over them it will trigger an explosion dealing damage. I'm not as clear on their damage dealing abilities, but from my recollection, one will come close to disabling a tank and two will all but destroy it. The AT Mines also have the added advantage of replacing the repair tool, meaning you can place them in well-travelled areas and then hide nearby and finish off any tanks they cripple. I don't have a strong strategy for placing them yet, as placing them too close together means they can be easily removed with one explosion, but too far apart the tank can recover and destroy the rest.

Then there's the support class. Here you can choose the Mortar, which will shell areas from a safe distance. There's a few disadvantages here. Since the patch they are less accurate and can no longer be used from the safety of your team's spawn. They also leave you quite vulnerable, visible, and require several successful hits to destroy vehicles.

Your final option is using the support class and C4. Two packs to the back, three to side, or 4 to the front of a tank will usually do the trick (Obviously less if it already under fire). This is tricky, however, as it requires you to get very close to the tank, something a good driver never allows, and even when they do, can be alerted by Proximity Scan (I have backed over many a player who has attempted to sneak on me from behind). Here sprint might be your best friend, allowing you to get in and out before they can react. There's also no shame in taking the suicide – you're helping the team and will usually break even if not better. And as I mentioned about last night, sometimes a helpful team mate might even revive you, which has to give the deceased rage to see in the killcam.

Edit: I should note, the Assault class's M320 also deals damage to vehicles, though very little. It's more useful in support an onslaught, but unless you're firing into the rear of IFVs or at the thinly armored Hum Vees and Vodnik's it's essentially useless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 04:07 PM

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 26, 2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the help on that Dakar, the RPG and Stinger to me nerfed beyond belief.

Is there anyway on Battlelog to view individual games? Fatty and I just played what was one of the best games i've been a part of in my short career and i didn't even get a chance to really look at the stats.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2012, 04:54 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules