Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't fsck after upgrade to panther

Can't fsck after upgrade to panther
Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 07:12 AM

I have a 12" PB 867Mhz. After upgrading to Panther, I notice two things:

1. When I run Repair Permissions, Panther fixes a lot of permissions, mostly related to Internet Explorer, and when I repeated the process, it will do the repairs all over again as though they were never repaired in the first place.

2. More serious - when I run fsck -f (on reboot), the process failed with the following error message:

**Checking catalog file
Invalid extent entry
(4, 69)
**Volume check failed

What am I doing wrong? Help!

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 09:33 AM

I'd probably say you've got a more serious directory issue on your HD. Backup, backup, backup.

Then, my best choice would be running Disk Warrior. Should do it, but you never know.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

darrick
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 01:47 PM

i've been hearing from users, who say they are getting the info from mac geniuses (sp?) and apple help techs, that fsck-ing is no longer needed because that stuff is done automatically now at start up.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by darrick:
i've been hearing from users, who say they are getting the info from mac geniuses (sp?) and apple help techs, that fsck-ing is no longer needed because that stuff is done automatically now at start up.
It is still possible to do fsck -y when booting up in single-user mode, but you have to turn journaling off first. This is very important.

Might just as well go to Disk Utility and see if the problem can't be solved that way. Both Disk Utility and fsck do the same thing anyway.

By the way, fsck -yf will force the option to run, but I don't recommend it.

RHV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by LaGow:
By the way, fsck -yf will force the option to run, but I don't recommend it.
It's fine to run it. And there is no need to turn journaling off. (It's good to turn journaling off if you are defragging or optimizing your volume/HD.)

Fsck -yf gets run if you Safe Boot.

If you've got problems, Apple recommends running Safe Boot first or booting from your install disk 1 CD and using Disk Utility's Repair Disk. But if you can't find the CD or do a Safe Boot, by all means run fsck -yf (or fsck -fy: same thing) from single user mode. (It is probably best to use the full path: /sbin/fsck -fy.)

See this recently updated KB article for more details: 106214.

K++
Senior User
Nov 27, 2003, 08:25 PM

I'm assuming you guys skipped the HD scan before your panther install. There is a reason its there people, to make sure your HD doesn't have any probs before they make it journaled and never run fsck again.

RHV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by K++:
I'm assuming you guys skipped the HD scan before your panther install. There is a reason its there people, to make sure your HD doesn't have any probs before they make it journaled and never run fsck again.
"... never run fsck again." This doesn't sound at all right.

Even if you do an erase and install of Panther, you may well have problems afterwards.

In that case, if you can't do a Safe Boot or don't have the relevant CD at hand, you'll have to do /sbin/fsck -fy by single user start up--if you don't have, or can't run, third party repair utilities.

Given journaling, there is a lesser need to run fsck than there was in Jaguar. (Journaling doesn't prevent problems from arising; rather it just allows a faster repair of problems than would happen with journaling off.)

But, if you are encoutering some problems, you can, if you want, pretty quickly restart in single user mode and run /sbin/fsck -y. No big deal. Saves you getting the CD out. And saves you reading up on Safe Boot--in case you don't know it by heart. It's also a good preliminary to running the better repairing third party repair utilities.

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 09:47 PM

I always thought 'fsck' was people's way of saying "****" online. You mean its actually a program or something??

I have to go and re-read some things I might have read wrong...

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 09:48 PM

Oh, you can't say **** on here anyway. I'm sure you know what I meant.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 10:20 PM

FYI, "fsck" stands for "filesystem consistency check."
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Macdizzy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 11:30 PM

I have backed up all my data.

I tried to run the above in single user mode and got exactly the same error message as before, i.e. Volume Check Failed.

Do you guys think I should erase and reinstall Panther? I have lots of programs like VPC with Win2000 to reintall after that (takes a long time to do so), and the prospect is not very appetizing. Will an Archieve and Install be a better option?

I have disk warrior but was told it will not run in Panther unless I upgrade to the new version.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by RHV:
It's fine to run it. And there is no need to turn journaling off. (It's good to turn journaling off if you are defragging or optimizing your volume/HD.)
My error. You only need to turn journaling off if you're optimizing or defragging your drive using a third-party util like Drive 10.

This topic was hashed out several weeks ago over here.

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
FYI, "fsck" stands for "filesystem consistency check."
Well thanks

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Hannah W:
Well thanks
Well, some wags do use it as a replacement for similarly configured profanity. Mostly 1337 h4x0R types and such ... it depends on the context, but most are referring to the utility app.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Hannah W:
I always thought 'fsck' was people's way of saying "****" online. You mean its actually a program or something??

I have to go and re-read some things I might have read wrong...
It's been my signature for quite some time.

ibobunot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 04:48 AM

That's the most tragic thing I ever heard.

http://www.medicdrug.com/impotence/impotence.html
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules