Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Network speed and function in 10.3

Network speed and function in 10.3
rcabage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 07:09 PM

Is apple aware how much slower panther is than jaguar in regards to networking. We have 14 macs on a network and the people with 10.3 have had multiple problems with speed and just the ability to make it work.

I have not been able to make a single machine mount a hd from a server on the desktop. I have checked the appropriate boxes and contacted my apple dealer and talked to the Local apple "guy" at comp USA.

I was told by the dealer that they were not happy with the networking performaance and function in panther and were waiting to upgrade. Can anyone offer any advise?

Is Apple aware how bad this is?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hmm, I am not having any problems (admittedly on my small network, other then some flaky at times Windows networking).

You can now control the Speed and Duplex of your ethernet card in Panther in the Network System Preference Pane, if you know about that kinda stuff. I don't know much but maybe someone else will chip in.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 07:34 AM

Yeah, I find it slow, and unpredictable too.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 10:27 AM

Yeah! same here. a little slow and a little less reliable then 10.2.8
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 10:36 AM

No problems here with speed at all with several Macs upgraded to 10.3 on SMB, AFP and OS X server. No reliability issues here.
Speed is as fast as it has ever been. I would know. as I am constantly downloading files from our Win2k server to burn to CD or DVD.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 02:29 PM

It doesn't feel any slower to me. But I still use the old "Connect to Server" option because it can't get the networking right. Or save network passwords. Should I really expect a computer in this day and age to actually save the login/password when I tick the box?

rcabage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
It doesn't feel any slower to me. But I still use the old "Connect to Server" option because it can't get the networking right. Or save network passwords. Should I really expect a computer in this day and age to actually save the login/password when I tick the box?
That is were I find it slow. If you hit browse after connect to server it takes twice as long as jaquar to see the servers on the newtwork. Do you actually just put inj the ip address? I can not possibly expext 14 non computer people to do that. I have been preaching the funcyionality of the macs for years and they are use to just seeing a list of servers in the chooser.
Any ideas on the problem with discs mounting on the desktop?

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Should I really expect a computer in this day and age to actually save the login/password when I tick the box?
LOL
not really a problem for me, but for non power-users out there it's a mess.
The small companies I work with who decided to switch have a sticker on the screen with LOG/PASS

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by rcabage:
That is were I find it slow. If you hit browse after connect to server it takes twice as long as jaquar to see the servers on the newtwork. Do you actually just put inj the ip address? I can not possibly expext 14 non computer people to do that. I have been preaching the funcyionality of the macs for years and they are use to just seeing a list of servers in the chooser.
Any ideas on the problem with discs mounting on the desktop?
Well, I do know the IP addresses of most of the computers on my network, but I use the "Add to Favorites" button instead. All of my IPs are of the 192.168.123.xxx format, so I just remember the last 3 digits and I'm set.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
LOL
not really a problem for me, but for non power-users out there it's a mess.
The small companies I work with who decided to switch have a sticker on the screen with LOG/PASS
I wouldn't feel good telling people how great OS X is and having them watch how it can't remember network passwords. I don't have passwords on any of the Windows shares on my network, so I just hit OK and it works.

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 08:45 PM

After upgrading from Jaguar to Panther, I have had lots of problems with networking. Folders on shared volumes appeared to be empty when they are not, servers connected to the network do not appear on the chooser - it was (and still somewhat, is) hell. The only positive thing is that Apple is aware of the problem, and the recent 10.3.2 developer release supposedly fixes this issue.

I do find that you could get some semblence of normal networking after running repair permissions from the install disk and also running all the cron scripts and updating prebinding via terminal. Or use Cocktail.

rcabage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 07:38 PM

the latest patches helped some but you still can not mount appletalk drives to the desk top via browser. They do show up if you mount them via TCP/IP

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 07:50 PM

keeping fingers crossed, and hoping Apple will fix all this mess with 10.3.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules