Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 51)
finboy
Feb 26, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
must have been part of a plan.
It was part of the plan to get him down on the planet and in the clutches of the breeder experiment with Athena.

finboy
Feb 26, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

The Chief & Cally seem to have forgotten their science classes and training. A patch doesn't have to be labelled "Colonial Fleet Emergency Patch" to be used. It's just a crack in a weld seam. Most anything will do to cover it enough to equalize pressure. Slice off half the existing patch from clean metal that didn't need if, and apply where it was needed. Smear some grease on reasonably tight fabric.

If you don't have some nonporous material & something gooey to make the seal, then use a trickle of water. Some of it will freeze at the opening due to the temp drop as the pressure drops. Ice will make a perfectly good temp seal. If they don't have water on them, use urine. Though the show might not be able to show it.
The whole plot device was completely unacceptable. They're in a spaceship, and every airlock would be equipped with patches and more patches, and suits and more suits, and an emergency escape locker, etc. Why the writers went there I don't know.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
The shark has been jumped.

I liked this plotline too, but I'm not sure they can keep the show going without Cylons. I liked the little speech that Adama gave Chief in the Brig -- someone needs to just give that speech to the whole frakkin fleet and get it over with. Anyone hesitates, the human race could die. It's not like we're organizing a bunch of garbage workers in Cleveland.
The shark has been jumped? You're declaring it already?

I thought this week's episode was fantastic. I thought the way the characters are reacting to a long break without cylon contact was very believable.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 02:14 PM

I was happy with this episode. It was somewhat "filler" -- but it was good insofar as the Baltar story and foreshadowing of an upcoming raid.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 02:28 PM

So, nobody else thought that speech given by Admiral Adama in the brig was totally out of character?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 26, 2007, 02:58 PM

His deckhands were refusing most orders while sitting around. Go back to Epiphanies, where Adama had a couple conversations with Royan Jahee - the "make peace with the Cylons" guy. I didn't think it was out of character, just a response to internal threats we don't see often.

finboy
Feb 26, 2007, 09:38 PM

Yep, the shark has been jumped. In a stealth Viper, no less. By Starbuck, who's a GIRL for crying out loud! Ah.

I liked the Adama speech, though. I thought it was very true to character - he's a no sh*t guy, no matter how much he loves his crew. He screws up, everybody dies. He did what he had to.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 09:32 PM

Shark be damned. The shark can only be determined once something has ended. All this shark talk is annoying me to no end.....

Yeah, the airlock stuff was bad physics. But lord knows every scifi show does it all the time.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 01:11 AM

No shark was jumped. If you want to believe that, go watch something else.

Don't let the door hit your where the good lord split you on your way out.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

reader50
Administrator
Mar 1, 2007, 03:19 AM

The missing podcasts have finally been posted. They do a good job of explaining why the previous two eps (Woman King, Day in the Life) were not as good as we normally expect from BSG. I really like how Moore is honest about show mistakes in the podcasts. Especially when story problems need to be laid at his own feet.

Speaking of podcasts, I think I've figured out what "technical difficulties" means when SciFi can't post the podcasts on time. Technical Difficulties = Moore was busy, and hadn't recorded them in time.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 07:18 AM

The missing podcasts have finally been posted. They do a good job of explaining why the previous two eps (Woman King, Day in the Life) were not as good as we normally expect from BSG. I really like how Moore is honest about show mistakes in the podcasts. Especially when story problems need to be laid at his own feet.
I can't listen to all that crap... what did he say?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 11:58 PM

Uhhh....holy ****! Did they really just do that????

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:02 AM

I hope so. Good riddance and now, hopefully, we can move on to the Cyclon story that should have never stalled in the first place.

gumby5647
Professional Poster

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

jokell82
Professional Poster

Good riddance to starbuck?!?!?! Seriously???

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 12:04 AM

Wasn't there some kind or rumor about this happening? It seems like I remember something...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I hope so. Good riddance and now, hopefully, we can move on to the Cyclon story that should have never stalled in the first place.

I agree, it'd be a really good show without Starbuck and Apollo, and Adama and that old lady, and all those other freaks etc. All I want to see is Baltar and that half naked blonde making out and ships flying around shooting eachother. whatever

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:11 AM

Well, Starbuck is a cylon then no? All that backstory about her facing her destiny... her destiny wasn't just to die?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 12:15 AM

Holy. Crap.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 12:33 AM

Well I'll be dang.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 01:13 AM

D'Anna kept describing something beautiful between life and death, and there she saw the final 5.

Now, Head-Leoben tells her that he is preparing her to pass through another door, to somewhere between life and death.

Throw in all that destiny talk, and her painting and seeing the eye of Jupiter, and it's obvious:

Starbuck is one of the Final 5.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah, there's almost no doubt now. She's a cylon.

That opening paint scene was HOT though.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
If we are to assume she had a real human mother, she is a Cylon hybrid, and as such is the Cylon figure of destiny (as the Cylon's believe Hera is).
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 03:36 AM

Wow, that was unexpected. I viewed it delayed 30 minutes via Tivo.

I didn't expect that.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 03:38 AM

Now I'm confused. Did they just show Starbuck in a scene in next weeks show?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Now I'm confused. Did they just show Starbuck in a scene in next weeks show?
No, that was the dumb bonus scene for this weeks episode.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 5, 2007, 06:01 AM

Seems to me I saw Starbuck toy with the eject lever before the final scene. Though the cockpit canopy appeared to still be present when the Viper exploded.

Also, the "Heavy Raider" was visible from Lee's perspective momentarily, right when he regained visual contact.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
I don't see how this proves anything...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 10:45 AM

So what put the hole in Starbucks windshield?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 11:59 AM

Debris from the Raider she was shooting at that was in front of her, before she blackout having flashbacks?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So what put the hole in Starbucks windshield?
Probably the pressure. They mentioned the further in you go, the more pressure there is on your spacecraft.

Lee had a newer viper, so that could be why he didn't have the same problem.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Debris from the Raider she was shooting at that was in front of her, before she blackout having flashbacks?
I though the raider was just a vision though.

Anyway, IF Starbuck is a Cylon why would Leoben be so attracted to her? Why wouldn't he tell her she was one? How would he even know? Perhaps the Hybrid told him?

Also did they explain all the talk of "All of this has happened before and will happen again" line?

Starbuck also said "You're not Leoben" so whatever that being was perhaps it is the same one that is playing Head Six and Head Baltar. Baltar first started seeing Head Six after his house blew up so he could have been at that place "between life and death" that the final 5 live.

I don't think Starbuck is one of the final 5 though but she might be a hybrid or a descendants of one of the 12 Gods.

I really liked the episode though but it ended to fast. Would have been touching to see Lee hang up Starbucks pic on the wall next to Katt.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:19 PM

Anyway, IF Starbuck is a Cylon why would Leoben be so attracted to her? Why wouldn't he tell her she was one? How would he even know? Perhaps the Hybrid told him?
Inner-Leoben isn't a real Leoben, and "never claimed to be." Given the information we have, it stands to reason that if he's not a real Leoben, then Inner-Six is not a real Six either (at the very least, she's certainly not the same as Caprica, on whom she's supposedly based). So now we have two fake Cylons in people's heads.

We also have Inner-Baltar, who is clearly not the same as Baltar. Is it possible that Leoben Conoy, the one that Starbuck interrogated, has some kind of Inner-Starbuck?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
We also have Inner-Baltar, who is clearly not the same as Baltar. Is it possible that Leoben Conoy, the one that Starbuck interrogated, has some kind of Inner-Starbuck?
Neat idea but when he first met her he didn't recognize her but "hoped" it would be her.

For some reason REAL Leoben thinks there is a bond between him and starbuck and they are supposed to be together.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 03:52 PM

Where the heck is the iTunes Download. I wanna watch this ep. already...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 05:14 PM

unexpected episode... :o
we don't have time to stop for gas

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 06:10 PM

The podcast is up.

Seems it was the writers idea to kill Starbuck and not the actors wanting to leave.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 01:57 AM

Seems it was the writers idea to kill Starbuck and not the actors wanting to leave.
I'm horrified. It's gutsy to kill off a major character, but I'm sad to see Katee Sackhoff go and her terrific character, Kara Thrace (a.k.a, Starbuck) go away.

On the other hand, no one actually saw her die on camera, so it's possible she ejected and was rescued.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
On the other hand, no one actually saw her die on camera, so it's possible she ejected and was rescued.
Lee was right behind her and saw her get crushed. She's very dead.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 03:03 AM

The podcast is up.

The podcast also notes she had a father, which may or may not harm the idea of her being a hybrid. Apparently he was the artsy type.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 02:18 PM

There are ways in which Starbuck could be one of the final five while still having human parents. Having said that, I don't think she's one of the final five.

I stand by my opinion that the final five aren't Cylons, at least not in the toaster sense. I think the final five include Baltar-in-Six's-Head, Six-in-Baltar's-Head, Leoben-in-Starbuck's-Head and maybe even Adama's-Wife-in-Adam's-Head-once-a-year.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 02:46 PM

Seems to me I saw Starbuck toy with the eject lever before the final scene. Though the cockpit canopy appeared to still be present when the Viper exploded.

Also, the "Heavy Raider" was visible from Lee's perspective momentarily, right when he regained visual contact.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm wondering now if this is going to lead to a reason for keeping Baltar alive, and even a chance to redeem himself somewhat in the eyes of the President and the Admiral. I'm thinking maybe that heavy raider snatched her up right after she ejected.

My gut feeling is that Apollo is going to go over his gun camera and indeed see that heavy Cylon raider snatching her up. Then, they might send Baltar back to the Cylons (getting the Cylons back into the story) to attempt a rescue, if only to live up to his claims in the book he wrote about him being a victim (though, some may argue that sleeping with two chicks at the same time doesn't really stack up as a "victim") of circumstance.

We'll see...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 03:05 PM

Starbuck is dead. At least the body that was in the viper is.

I am 100% sure she will come back soon though but not through Cylon resurrection. Some type of mythical rebirth or something.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2007, 04:34 PM

I think warhaven hit the nail on the head....I saw the raider too. The only thing is, that the podcast did say that they told sackoff they were sacking her (ha!) (or offing her HA!)
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
The only thing is, that the podcast did say that they told sackoff they were sacking her (ha!) (or offing her HA!)
They only said they were killing Starbuck. I don't think her character is completely gone though, as the podcast said they talked to Sackoff about their "plan". (He also seemed to be very careful of how he described his conversation with Sackoff, leaving out any finite details on what the plan was, which is something very strange to do is Starbuck really is gone.)

I doubt the raider was real. The podcast had heavy hints that it wasn't real (Kara was supposed to be "picked up" by the raider instead of going back to her apartment, but it would all be in her mind.)

reader50
Administrator
Mar 6, 2007, 07:07 PM

I don't think Starbuck is one of the final 5 though but she might be a hybrid or a descendants of one of the 12 Gods.
I've toyed with that idea too, that Starbuck is descended from some god interbreeding on Kobol. And I don't think she's a Cylon.

We haven't seen the last of Starbuck.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 07:20 PM

The best thing about Battlestar is the surprises. You all are just wasting your time 'predicting' what's going to happen! Starbuck's a cylon. Starbuck's not a cylon. She's one of the final 5. She's not one of the final 5. Yeah great predictions! Wow...... not.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 07:22 PM

I think I figured parts of it out. I need to collect my thoughts before posting though

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 07:44 PM

Here's an idea. Starbuck was diving into a swirly shaped object where the deeper she went in the greater the pressure on her ship was. Sounds a bit like a black hole doesn't it? And black holes can possibly turn into worm holes if you can combine two.

We already know someone is going to realize their destiny, someone is going to die, and someone is going to find Earth. We already know Kara has fulfilled the first two, why not the last too?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Here's an idea. Starbuck was diving into a swirly shaped object where the deeper she went in the greater the pressure on her ship was. Sounds a bit like a black hole doesn't it? And black holes can possibly turn into worm holes if you can combine two.

We already know someone is going to realize their destiny, someone is going to die, and someone is going to find Earth. We already know Kara has fulfilled the first two, why not the last too?
Because we saw her ship blow up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules