Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How do i change theme on my Mac OSX?

How do i change theme on my Mac OSX?
Zaurus
Feb 19, 2005, 10:03 PM

i search around
can't find any full theme pack for OSX

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2005, 10:59 PM

+1
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 12:14 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 01:47 AM

If you truly can't find the information on your own, or by just searching through this forum, do you think you really need themes?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

realitybath
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
If you truly can't find the information on your own, or by just searching through this forum, do you think you really need themes?
If you can't possible understand that maybe this person would like some legitimate help, or that just possibly their first language isn't english which makes gleaning information difficult but doesn't predicate lack of high intelligence, or that they may be completely new to the mac side and that yes they might actually want themes, maybe you shouldn't post at all.

now back OnTopic...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by realitybath:
now back OnTopic...
I see. And you provided so much help rookie.

And there's plenty of information on how to install themes in this forum. If someone can create a post, then should be able to do a basic search or just read some of the other threads, don't you think? back at ya. Also, from your post, you shouldn't be chiding others about chiding others when it comes to English.

Zaurus,
to change the themes, the easiest way is to use a third-party application called ShapeShifter. You can do it yourself with SS but it's a pretty complicated manner and can cause problems if you don't fully know what you're doing.

In ShapeShifter, you'll find plenty of new themes. Also, check the desktop picture thread and you'll see thousands of examples. And you can find links and whatnot.
( Last edited by Randman; Feb 20, 2005 at 08:05 AM. )

realitybath
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 09:20 AM

hahaha...
1. I am a rockie, as I won't be gettin my mac for a couple of weeks. Hence I didn't give any advice as it wouldn't be as good as the advice a more knowledgeable person would give. Am I supposed to be insulted?
2.a) I wasn't mildly scolding you; I was saying you were being a knob. It took you the same time to give helpful advice in your last post as it did to act like a knob in your previous post.
b) My post was correct english, with the added feature of including all arguments in one crescendoing sentence.
3. You posted helpful information for the parent poster in your last post, which is all that is relevant in this discussion anyways. My post = you changed from useless to partially useful.
4. You are not a mod.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 09:59 AM

I am not a mod, that is correct. But Your English isn't very good if it's your first language. Poor spelling and grammar. Passable otherwise. Your post wasn't in the least bit helpful as there's plenty of threads on how to install themes and such. If you stay around here for some time, you'll see the wisdom in getting people to take a little initiative and do a search for the information.

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 12:25 PM

Well well, aren't we a bunch of arrogant small-time elitists sometimes...

Are you allergic to newcomers? What a nice way to welcome someone who might be a recent switcher, or maybe someone very talented who might become a themer one day? I can't help but be fascinated by the short-sighted idiots who lurk around here...

This forum once again lives up to it's reputation, thanks to a few trigger-happy lamers who can't wait to gun down anyone asking basic questions...

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 12:49 PM

...I was saying you were being a knob. It took you the same time to give helpful advice in your last post as it did to act like a knob in your previous post...
knob?

knob __
noun.
1. A rounded protuberance.

2. a. A rounded handle, as on a drawer or door.
b. A rounded control switch or dial.

3. A prominent rounded hill or mountain.

randman, apparently your a mountain or a handle.

i'm sure realitybath meant newb, but its funny to see people try and substitute other words for it and say its the same, when clearly it isn't.

Zaurus  (op)
Feb 20, 2005, 04:08 PM

If you can't possible understand that maybe this person would like some legitimate help, or that just possibly their first language isn't english which makes gleaning information difficult but doesn't predicate lack of high intelligence, or that they may be completely new to the mac side and that yes they might actually want themes, maybe you shouldn't post at all.

now back OnTopic...
i've been to Canada for 9 yrs
my English still pretty bad

especially my grammar
but i dun care

i can speak
i can listen
i can write (but require proof-read)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
knob?

knob __
noun.
1. A rounded protuberance.
I'm sure realitybath meant newb, but its funny... .
Dude... if you look down between your legs you might catch a glimpse of the rounded protuberance that he was comparing you to. Geez.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

uh...he didn't even know of me until after i posted that definition, so your comment makes no sense. he was calling randman a knob, not me.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
uh...he didn't even know of me until after i posted that definition, so your comment makes no sense. he was calling randman a knob, not me.
OK then Dude... if you look down between your legs you might catch a glimpse of the rounded protuberance that he was comparing randman to. Geez. Now does it make sense?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 12:15 AM

<<<farts on thread

realitybath
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Zaurus:
i've been to Canada for 9 yrs
my English still pretty bad
especially my grammar
but i dun care

i can speak
i can listen
i can write (but require proof-read)
Hey, sorry if I made your thread a bit confusing... Hope you got the answer your looking for (shapeshifter is the way to go).
And I wasn't making fun of you at all

Also look for [rel] or [release] in the topic titles when browsing the 'GUI Customization' area. That's an easy way to find new themes/icons/wallpapers. Also, macthemes has release news, a themes section with a selection of some of the nicer themes and the forums have work in progress stuff.
I'm new to the mac side of themeing so I'm not sure if that's exactly the info your looking for.

@ rest of discussion: Mr.tew is correct, knob is mild slang for male genitalia. I thought that term was known all over the western english-speaking part of the world. Maybe us Canadians are the ones to blame.

@ photo haaha, nice stench. Spread the love.
(ave just released avedesk2 if you still have a winpc).

Zaurus  (op)
Feb 23, 2005, 11:38 PM

sorry

can you do it without ShapeShifter?

Does OSX has native theme GUI kit development kit too?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Zaurus:
sorry

can you do it without ShapeShifter?

Does OSX has native theme GUI kit development kit too?
Yes, with Themechanger, if you can find themes in the dtla format. (caveat, your not allowed to come back here and ask for help if you hose your OS using this method)

No, OS X does not (and probably never will) support theming or theme creation. (natively)

Forum Links
Forum Rules