Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCDs as they get older...

LCDs as they get older...
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 08:26 AM

I *think* I've noticed laptop screens get dimmer as they get older before, but this may have been down to getting used how bright the screens were (and wishing they were brighter).

I'm considering buying one of the 20" Apple screens (unless I can find another company which sells one around this resolution at a comparable price) and wonder how it will age.

I'm going to be using it for photo editing work and it'll need to have good colour reproduction. I'm not going to be doing colour-controlled studio work, just that I want to be able to calibrate it well for predicable use with my printer at home.

Do screens get dimmer as they get older, and if so, will this affect the fidelity of the colours I see on mine?

Another question - my last screen was a 19" CRT which was fine for most purposes, but since I ran it at 1280x1024 I had to put up with reducing the width of the picture in order to get my photos to return to their proper proportions (since at 1280x1024 I was getting a 5:4 aspect ratio instead of 4:3). People looked s t r e t c h e d in photos. Will this be an issue with either the 20" or a 1280x1024 LCD?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ben

Edit: added q about aspect ratio.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 12:37 PM

It's the backlight on LCD screens that get dimmer with time, or perhaps even burn out after long enough.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how this affects the colour?

I think the only reason this might bother me is that while a similar thing might happen to CRTs they don't cost nearly as much!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 06:56 PM

why dont you just get a good CRT? they have the best color reproduction, higher resolutions, and cost less than LCDs (and possibly have a longer life).

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 07:16 AM

I'd rather have an LCD because they don't hurt my eyes or take up too much space.

I have a really good 21" CRT at work, but aside from desktop space even the screen on my Ti is a welcome relief when I get home.

The money isn't so much of an issue, I'm going to use it a lot and I don't mind spending extra. If LCDs last even close to as long as a CRT then I think I'm sold.

That's *provided* that things don't look squashed or stretched on the LCD the way they did on my last CRT at 1280x1024. The more I think about it the sillier that problem seems - a square pixel's a square pixel, right? Can anyone confirm that this won't be a problem on a 1280x1024 LCD?

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
why dont you just get a good CRT? they have the best color reproduction, higher resolutions, and cost less than LCDs (and possibly have a longer life).

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 11:22 AM

Ah - answered my own question re: 1280x1024.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...20815_8230.htm

Now how does this influence a resolution such as 1680x1050? Will it be stretched in a similar fashion?
( Last edited by all2ofme; Mar 21, 2003 at 11:53 AM. )

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 11:35 AM

I can�t back this up with anything but from what i�ve understood LCD�s have much longer liftime compared to CRT! Can anyone confirm or dismiss this?

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 11:52 AM

I've assumed that it'll be much the same with LCDs or CRTs when it comes to a working life for them, just that it costs so much more to replace the LCDs, but I've found nothing so far on the net which backs this up or disputes it.

Kul att se n�gon d�ruppifr�n

Originally posted by tomra:
I can�t back this up with anything but from what i�ve understood LCD�s have much longer liftime compared to CRT! Can anyone confirm or dismiss this?

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 06:49 PM

det er flere, men jeg bor i england for tiden...bergen, norway her
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 04:56 AM

Maybe it�s just wishfull thinking
---
Ah, landsmenn, og v�re kj�re naboer i �st

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2003, 08:09 AM

Undrar varf�r min fr�ga �r mer attraherande att svara p� f�r norrm�n �n f�r de som har svaret

Jag �r inte en av de d�r grannarna men min flickv�n �r d�rifr�n. Jag �r fr�n andra sidan av jordklotet d�r pingvinerna bor...

Vanquish
Mar 22, 2003, 11:58 AM

I understood that last part really

I just love those scandinavian languages, but sadly I don't speak them. I'll learn it someday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules