Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm Calling the New Unibody MacBooks the Best Apple Laptops Ever

I'm Calling the New Unibody MacBooks the Best Apple Laptops Ever
freudling
Banned
Dec 17, 2008, 03:30 AM

Ok, so what, who am I? I just wonder if others feel the same way. I have had it for about 1 month now, and this thing is amazing in every way. Runs way cooler than previous versions of MacBook Pros, screen is perfect, keyboard perfect, design superb, on and on.

I have owned and used every mac laptop save for the Mac Portable. In comparison to all of them, this thing blows them away. I know it will be dated in a three to four years, but when comparing this MacBook as it performs today, to Apple's laptops as they performed in their time, they have truly hit a home run.

Just need better battery life.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
when comparing this MacBook as it performs today, to Apple's laptops as they performed in their time, they have truly hit a home run.
I guess we can be grateful to the Dual Core intel CPUs for that. As you say, some time ago you had single CPU laptops while you had dual CPU desktops. To make it worse, the laptops used to get an one generation older CPU than the desktops.

So far I agree, IMHO these are formidable, eye-pooping laptops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I guess we can be grateful to the Dual Core intel CPUs for that. As you say, some time ago you had single CPU laptops while you had dual CPU desktops. To make it worse, the laptops used to get an one generation older CPU than the desktops.

So far I agree, IMHO these are formidable, eye-pooping laptops.
Eye pooping eh? I'd like to see a video !!

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2008, 04:18 PM

I disagree. I think the 12" powerbook was the best for its time and that the early 08 high-end macbook pro will be the best intel mac ever
Bow chicka bow-wow

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 04:33 PM

I like my Unibody MBP much better than the old all silver design. Much more sturdy, a magnetic latch, easy access to the HDD (and fairly easy access to the RAM, which also has the benefit of easy access to all of the internals), better speakers.

The only real issues were the loss of the matte screen, which is a bummer for me, and the reduction of ports.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

If one is for sure, this is a completely subjective opinion, which in of itself is not bad, but others disagree. Personally I think the OP is right, this is the best designed and best looking laptop apple has made.
~Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 04:58 PM

Been using my new MB(unibody) f or about a month now and i've posted my first impressions elsewhere.

I too think the new design is everything i could want in a laptop. the size, weight and thickness are, imo the best for the feature set offered. Batter life is decent (it could always get better). and functionally, apart from FW(which has faded in my memory rather quickly), can do everything every other mac can.

Technically it's very capable with the new GPU.

Design is everything i wanted..... black bezel, widescreen, back lighted keyboard, small, light, thin, bright, simple. Specifically, i really dig the curves on it, it really makes the unit come together well asthetically.

Cheers

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2008, 06:10 PM

This unibody, 2.4GHz MacBook is the first mac I have owned in almost ten years. In fact, my last Apple notebook was the Graphite "Barbie Book" - good times, good times.

I'm thoroughly impressed with my new MacBook. The design and aesthetics are very pleasing to the eye, it really looks chic. The only thing I would change is the thickness of the border around the screen - if that could be reduced somehow I think it would be nicer. But overall, it really is a beautiful piece of engineering. The performance is great also - the 2.4GHz processor isn't holding back and it's great to be using a notebook as powerful as this one. Streaming video is a tad choppy but I think this might be a thing on my end ... I hope. But the best feature by a mile is the trackpad - it feels great and the 'one big button' design is really nice to use.

Kudos, Apple.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2008, 08:08 PM

I have the new mbp 2.8 model as well and i believe it is awsome, i had a 12" G4, 15" G4, white macbook, and now this. I love it, save for the keyboard, i guess ill have to get with it, but if they could have kept the curved keys from before it would be a solid grand slam
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
I disagree. I think the 12" powerbook was the best for its time and that the early 08 high-end macbook pro will be the best intel mac ever
dammit, i felt like that until...i got a new macbook. and, despite the glossy screen and no firewire...
it blows away my 12". sharper brighter screen (almost makes up for the glossy), much less heat, faster, light, backlit keys...power.

i resent no firewire, but still...this is my new fave mac notebook...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cloud
Dec 18, 2008, 12:42 AM

I have had this new MBP for about a week now and the only concern i have for it (other than if the 4GB RAM fails, the hinge on the screen is really loose etc.).... is that the keyboard will become shiny after prolong usage.

I used to have a microsoft wireless keyboard and the right side of the space bar wore off and became shiny. I know this will happen because of the black ibooks. Which was a real advantage of the previous gen MBPs.

Other than that, I love it right now. Although I would have preferred the 17" new redesign instead of this 15". But it's all good.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 18, 2008, 05:11 AM

Nice, keep the reports coming...

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2008, 08:25 AM

Agreeing with most here: I have a 2.53GHz, 4GB, 320GB@7200 MBP and it is, by a VERY wide margin, the best Apple laptop, nay, the best Apple computer I have ever owned or used.

Cloud
Dec 18, 2008, 11:54 AM

To be honest, this hinge thing is a nuisance. Everytime I moe my laptop from room to room it moves slightly.... hopefully they fix this problem in the future.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2008, 12:44 PM

Apple made the perfect computer for me. Powerful. Great size and weight, attractive design. Everything I need and very little I don't. (I, for one, am glad firewire is absent.) Love the trackpad, the magnetic latch, and the new battery indicator. As expected, comes with the usual bundle of Apple software.

And most importantly the rubber feet haven't fallen off (fingers crossed).
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Apple made the perfect computer for me. Powerful. Great size and weight, attractive design. Everything I need and very little I don't. (I, for one, am glad firewire is absent.) Love the trackpad, the magnetic latch, and the new battery indicator. As expected, comes with the usual bundle of Apple software.

just curious...if you don't need firewire, that's great. but wht are you "glad firewire is absent"? for some of us, firewire is important...

(again, just found that statement curious...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
just curious...if you don't need firewire, that's great. but wht are you "glad firewire is absent"? for some of us, firewire is important...
a) It costs Apple to put it in there, a cost they inevitably pass along to me.
b) I like the fact that my computer is manufactured by a company that is forward-looking and not inclined to jam every available connection of the past 5 years into a 13" laptop.
c) I don't want another hole in the side of my computer for no reason.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 07:50 PM

a) It costs Apple to put it in there, a cost they inevitably pass along to me.
b) I like the fact that my computer is manufactured by a company that is forward-looking and not inclined to jam every available connection of the past 5 years into a 13" laptop.
c) I don't want another hole in the side of my computer for no reason.
there are so many pros that used firewire 400 for audio and video production. The apogee duet was designed specifically for apple products and uses firewire 400 standard, sure you can get an adapter for the 800 slot but no one wants to do that. I think it is a major fail on the part of apple to drop firewire.
Bow chicka bow-wow

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 18, 2008, 07:57 PM

there are so many pros that used firewire 400 for audio and video production. The apogee duet was designed specifically for apple products and uses firewire 400 standard, sure you can get an adapter for the 800 slot but no one wants to do that. I think it is a major fail on the part of apple to drop firewire.
As you say, "pro", where pro's can obtain a MacBook with firewire: fitting, a MacBook Pro.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2008, 08:07 PM

Sure there are "pros" that used fw400, but pros that are still using fw400 for audio or video production? Well then, gee, maybe Apple should put fw400 back into a consumer level notebook.

While we're at it, we might as well bring back VGA adapters, since many pros used to use that too.

This whole fw whining got worn out about 15 minutes after Apple announced the new laptops. I think Apple has spent more time and $$ on market research than anyone around here or any other forums. I bet Apple knows what they're doing.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2008, 09:01 PM

As you say, "pro", where pro's can obtain a MacBook with firewire: fitting, a MacBook Pro.
Many of said pros like mobile stuff to be as mobile as possible, though.

Ah well, twas nice. 13" MacBook, you will be missed by many... bring on the 15", then.

*sigh*

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 12:24 AM

Will buy one as soon as they offer a 3GHz option. Plus Apple usually makes wonderful Rev 2 machines, no matter how good/bad the first builds are.

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2008, 10:30 AM

I agree, the lid opens & is loose inside my briefcase constantly.

Because of the magnetic latch (that doesn't really work), I cannot find any pad thin enough to protect the screen surface from being marred over time by the keyboard. Everything I've been able to find thus far has been too thick to allow the laptop to close.

I don't like bright objects and light sources behind me, it wipes out everything on the reflective screen - which is almost like a mirror. People walking past in airports are reflected, meaning it's damn difficult to keep your concentration on the task at hand.

The trackpad is annoying to me, and slows me down to crawl.

I really miss being able to connect my camcorder - basically, this new laptop means I've given up doing anything with video. I used to enjoy that. I chose the MacBook over the MBP not because of cost but due to size; footprint, to be exact. I simply can't be traveling around the globe with 15" of LCD and a boat anchor in a bag. Apple doesn't really offer anything for road warriors - the Air has limited storage & no replaceable battery, so it's an inadequate travel companion.

I really miss Firewire Disk Mode. Man, that is one handy feature.

I miss sitting out on my deck, cruising the internet. My wife still has a BlackBook, and she gets a strong Airport signal out there, but my new unibody can't connect... guess metal does make for a superior signal shield!

This machine could have been so much better, it's almost scary...

EDIT: On a side note, I wish some computer manufacturer would offer LCDs to people who work more with documents than video - for example, without a 1394 port, the new MacBook is not a computer for serious videographers - so why the widescreen LCD? Documents are taller than they are wider and widescreen LCD's create a requirement for a vast amount of scrolling. Sure would be nice to be able to buy a good monitor that is taller than it is wide.
( Last edited by matt_s; Dec 21, 2008 at 12:09 PM. )

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 21, 2008, 04:23 PM

matt_s:

I have none of the problems you have: in fact, most of what you say is contradictory to my experience.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2008, 05:52 PM

I have a question for matt_s: why did you buy the machine if dislike it that much?

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I have a question for matt_s: why did you buy the machine if dislike it that much?
How could anyone tell about all of these things without using it for awhile?

I knew WiFi reception would be limited because I've owned several aluminum models previously, and their WiFi range was significantly less than any plastic body units, such as original MacBooks & iBooks. But I didn't know it would be this poor, frankly, and it's kind of surprising.

There's not much of a choice anymore, Apple's really kind of stuck it to folks IMHO. To them it's all about the money, naturally, as they force-upgrade users to the more expensive models. But to me, it wasn't about the money, it was a really tough decision to surrender either Firewire or get stuck giving up doing any work on a seat-back tray with a 15"-er when the guy in front of me decides he's going to take a long nap. So, I chose to continue working with a much needed 13" footprint (I wish this was 11 or 12" instead!)... although missing 1394 has me gritting my teeth every single day.

The screen is pretty much out of everyone's decision now; looks like they're all shiny across all models. The colors are quite vibrant but the mirror-effect makes the screen a 2nd class citizen IMHO.

To me, this is a nice, solid machine with good performance and while I like the way it looks, I hate the sacrifices that Apple forced me to accept in order to travel light and smaller.

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2008, 07:18 PM

matt_s:

I have none of the problems you have: in fact, most of what you say is contradictory to my experience.
That's awesome. If you'd be so kind, please direct me to the make/model of the pad you're using to protect your LCD screen.

I have been completely unsuccessful in finding one that allows the lid to close securely.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I even went to a fabric store and bought a small piece of thin felt. Incredibly, even that was too thick!
( Last edited by matt_s; Dec 21, 2008 at 08:16 PM. )

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Eye popping eh? I'd like to see a video !!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 09:11 AM

I can understand people using the rationale that removing FW saves on cost or board complexity or makes it possible to cram all the ports on one side. But I'll never understand those who say it's good because that way there's "one less hole" in the side of the computer. I actually saw a posting from one person on another forum that said he didn't like FW because it's just another "ugly port." That kind of justification has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever heard said about technology.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 22, 2008 at 09:31 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I can understand people using the rationale that removing FW saves on cost or board complexity or makes it possible to cram all the ports on one side. But I'll never understand those who say it's good because that way there's "one less hole" in the side of the computer. I actually saw a posting from one person on another forum that said he didn't like FW because it's just another "ugly port." That kind of justification has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever heard said about technology.
I have to admit, that's not something I've ever read or heard before but it's relatively hilarious. No point in getting into a performance debate regarding 1394 vs USB, any Mac user worth his/her salt prefers Firewire and understands why.

Suffice to say that on a 1394a + USB2.0 combo external HDD, what used to be an 11 minute back up process using SuperDuper! over 1394, now takes that same application 27 minutes to execute over USB2.0. At 16 minutes per week, about an hour extra per month, that's going to be about a half day of my life lost per year. Thanks, Apple!

I can no longer connect 2 Macs together using Target Disk mode and copy huge folders (10-20GB) of PDF specs or PPT presentations, as we typically do every Monday to sync sales machines. I now have to copy them to an external drive over USB (which takes forever), unmount that drive, mount it on the target machine, and copy the damn folder yet again. Who doesn't love doing the same thing over and over? Especially when you can do it slower than before! Thanks, Apple.

I can't connect my camcorder to my MacBook, so I had to leave something I really used to enjoy behind. Guess that Final Cut suite I bought will be paying dividends for me now, eh? Thanks again, Apple.

Anyway, what I would like is a return to PowerBook greatness where users did not have to sacrifice anything - when you bought a Macintosh laptop, you were buying state of the art functionality & features - not a stripped down, bare bones unit. When did we have to become computing monks?

To me, the best Mac laptop ever was the Pismo. No sacrifices in connectivity & external IO; lightweight, decent footprint; and with 2 battery slots, would run for 9-1/2 hours... longer than the flight from ORD to CDG!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 10:28 AM

I strongly concur. However, to be fair, matt, the MacBook line is the successor to the iBook line, and the original iBook did not have Firewire. I waited for Firewire before I bought one. So it's not completely unprecedented for Apple's budget laptop not to have Firewire, although people have gotten accustomed to fully ported iBooks/MacBooks.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 11:43 AM

I strongly concur. However, to be fair, matt, the MacBook line is the successor to the iBook line, and the original iBook did not have Firewire. I waited for Firewire before I bought one. So it's not completely unprecedented for Apple's budget laptop not to have Firewire, although people have gotten accustomed to fully ported iBooks/MacBooks.
I'm not sure I know which laptop you're referring to - this "budget" laptop I have here - MacBook Late 2008 - cost nearly $3,000!!!! Maybe that's pocket change for you ...

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 11:46 AM

the MacBook line is the successor to the iBook line, and the original iBook did not have Firewire. I waited for Firewire before I bought one. So it's not completely unprecedented for Apple's budget laptop not to have Firewire, although people have gotten accustomed to fully ported iBooks/MacBooks.
It sounds like most people are quite happy with their purchase and those that are complaining about things like firewire are more upset they can't afford the machine they need rather than the features missing from the machine they can afford.

Some of the other frustration I understand, but mute points about lacking firewire (which you knew about before you purchased) do not seem like prudent points to make.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
I'm not sure I know which laptop you're referring to - this "budget" laptop I have here - MacBook Late 2008 - cost nearly $3,000!!!! Maybe that's pocket change for you ...
What? Nearly 3000$? Where did you buy it from?
I paid about that for a fully loaded (2.8 CPU, max ram, 7200rpm HD...) MacBook Pro and that's in canadian dollars, the same would be at an even lower price in the US!
( Last edited by Jerome; Dec 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM. )

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 12:00 PM

I paid about that for a fully loaded (2.8 CPU, max ram, 7200rpm HD...) MacBook Pro!
I think that's the question we all have. The BEST MacBook I can configure right now is a MacBook, 15 inch screen, 4gb memory, 128gb SSD = $2349 US.

Did you go ahead and order the 24" flat panel too?

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
But that wouldn't make the MacBook a $3000 laptop...

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 12:28 PM

But that wouldn't make the MacBook a $3000 laptop...
ha, my point exactly, neither would any of the other periphs or software.

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 01:11 PM

I paid about that for a fully loaded (2.8 CPU, max ram, 7200rpm HD...) MacBook Pro and that's in canadian dollars, the same would be at an even lower price in the US!
It was around $2500-$2600 with tax & AppleCare, which to me anyway is nearly $3k. I'm including all the extra RAM & goofy adapters I bought from Apple, plus a huge and fast hard drive purchased separately from OWC.

BTW, to add 1394 requires very little in terms of PCB real estate. It's about 3/4" square, single sided. The TI combo PHY/LINK chip costs little accounts like us less than $5, and a 6 pin connector is around sixty cents (well, for us that is, I'm sure Apple gets a much better price, probably half of that). Add some R's & C's and you're looking at less than $6 for even a low volume manufacturer, so this would add $18-$20 at the retail level - worst case scenario. Apple's BOM cost is probably more akin to $4.

I don't think the whole cost savings argument is valid. Instead of paying $2567, would I have paid $2587 and maybe $1.20 more tax for 1394a to be present? Duh.

I wonder if there's some price discount deal on processors &/or motherboard designs that Apple received from Intel to get rid of 1394 in favor of USB.
( Last edited by matt_s; Dec 22, 2008 at 01:21 PM. )

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 01:18 PM

It was around $2500-$2600 with tax & AppleCare, which to me anyway is nearly $3k.
Since Apple Care is $250 we'll go ahead and deduct that and say $2250- $2350 - not quite $3000, not even nearly $3000.

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 01:42 PM

Since Apple Care is $250 we'll go ahead and deduct that and say $2250- $2350 - not quite $3000, not even nearly $3000.
First of all, I don't understand why you're giving me grief for spending money at the Apple Store. Secondly, your figures are incorrect.

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Apple USB Modem
Apple MagSafe Airline Power Adapter
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook/MacBook Air - Auto-enroll

This was $2224.

Add tax and shipping and I was up near $2400. The hard drive I purchased separately was just about $200 including tax & shipping. To me, that's nearly $3,000.

Even at $2k, or $2200 or $2500, this is not a "budget" machine. If you think it is, man, I'd love to have your budget This whole unit price debate is BS.

The real deal is why did Apple dump 1394? The savings in BOM cost & PCB real estate were not significant nor worth the bad rap that they knew would come. Even the white plastic MacBook has 1394. They deliberately took a PR hit; Steve even got involved via email with a user, trying to defend the decision. There had to be some other reason, some big buck deal from Intel.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2008, 01:56 PM

The real deal is why did you buy it? It's not like you figured out about the lack of Firewire, the glossy screen and the trackpad only once you opened the box... You could have spent less, got the WhiteBook that's still available or, dare I say it, a PC... I can understand the machines don't fit everyone's needs but I don't get why someone who complains about almost everything on it still buy it... at nearly $3000.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 02:50 PM

indeed, I've been wondering the same thing. When I purchased my MBP, I had weighed all factors and decided that the MBP is the best solution for me because I spent so much money, I wanted to really be sure.

matt_s if you're not happy with it and its beyond the 14 day return period, I recommend selling it, because you seem pretty displeased with the laptop, you seem to dislike every facet of the MBP. You might be better served selling it, and getting a machine that closer to your needs.
~Mike

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 03:11 PM

I think that's the question we all have. The BEST MacBook I can configure right now is a MacBook, 15 inch screen, 4gb memory, 128gb SSD = $2349 US.

Blatantly obvious, but even the BEST MacBook comes with a 13 inches screen, making it slightly 'more affordable'.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 03:36 PM

The real deal is why did you buy it? It's not like you figured out about the lack of Firewire, the glossy screen and the trackpad only once you opened the box... You could have spent less, got the WhiteBook that's still available or, dare I say it, a PC... I can understand the machines don't fit everyone's needs but I don't get why someone who complains about almost everything on it still buy it... at nearly $3000.
This is exactly why I'm giving you a hard time. It's all in good fun, but really, after subtracting Apple Care (since it is not required upon purchase) or your new hard drive it is only a $2300 laptop, far from a $3000.

Blatantly obvious, but even the BEST MacBook comes with a 13 inches screen, making it slightly 'more affordable'.
I was referring to the ability to order an Apple LCD external display too

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 05:07 PM

I can no longer connect 2 Macs together using Target Disk mode and copy huge folders (10-20GB) of PDF specs or PPT presentations, as we typically do every Monday to sync sales machines. I now have to copy them to an external drive over USB (which takes forever), unmount that drive, mount it on the target machine, and copy the damn folder yet again. Who doesn't love doing the same thing over and over? Especially when you can do it slower than before! Thanks, Apple.
Ethernet is way faster than Firewire 400, and you don't need to reboot your book.

I haven't used Target Disk Mode for simple file transfer in probably about six years. Troubleshooting and migration, yes, but file transfer?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 22, 2008, 06:58 PM

Spheric:

Great post, and Migration Assistant in Leopard now supports Ethernet connections, instead of just Firewire like it used to.

matt_s:

I can't help but feel that you are bordering on trolling. And as others have already said, why did you buy it? You only have yourself to blame.

As for connecting via firewire, you can with any Unibody MBP to any other FW 400 port, with a FW 800-400 cable.

As for the screen protector, instead of running around everywhere, why don't you just use the thin plastic sheet that the MB came with out of the box? You know, the sheet that was placed between the screen and the keyboard... Wow, what an idea!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 07:18 PM

Its futile to argue about something that is done and paid for. IMHO the footprint advantage that the MB might have vs all the missing feature that present on the MBP isn´t worth all that grief that is causing. Even yet a refurb MBP would be a steal compared to that late 08 MB. Anyway.. good luck.

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2008, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
Its futile to argue about something that is done and paid for. IMHO the footprint advantage that the MB might have vs all the missing feature that present on the MBP isn´t worth all that grief that is causing. Even yet a refurb MBP would be a steal compared to that late 08 MB. Anyway.. good luck.
Exactly. Thanks for a voice of reason. Any Apple slam here is met with vast resources of attack, and the only sin I made was to spend a lot of money at the Apple Store.

Even that's not good enough for these folks.

I've owned well over 300 Mac laptops over the years, many of which I've purchased for my business and companies. To own three or four simultaneously is not uncommon, so when folks ask me why I spent $2600-$3000 on something I don't like, well, I have to say: (1) I work in OS X, so I have to have a Mac laptop, and, (2) 15" is just too large.

Anyway, I thank you for your thoughtful comments, they are logical and meaningful. This post was about trumpeting what I thought was a stripped down laptop; I said why I was disappointed & you were honest enough to appreciate that. What more was needed?

I still think Apple made a back room deal with Intel to get discounts on product in exchange for killing 1394.
( Last edited by matt_s; Dec 23, 2008 at 12:42 AM. )

tcphoto
Dec 23, 2008, 12:19 PM

I think that calling it the best ever is a bit premature. I picked mine up the first day they were released and was fairly impressed. But there is a list of on going problems that have not been resolved. The questionable battery life, freezes requiring a hard restart, lose hinges that Apple says are a design feature, no matte display option and the elimination of FW400 with only one FW800 connection. At this point, I'm giving the previous generation MBP the prize for best Apple laptop.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 12:41 PM

Reading many posts here, I keep repeating to myself:

"Sticks and stones will break my laptop, but forum postings will never hurt me."

There is a great resemblance between childish playground behavior and forum postings. Many times you wish that there were some sort of sobriety test (like solving 5 puzzles before you're allowed to start your car), something along the lines of successive pages with "are you sure you want to post that?" or "really, did you think that one through?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules