Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder view settings

Finder view settings
badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2016, 08:14 AM

Since I got a new MacBook Pro I am not able to make my finder view settings stick after a restart!
Is there anything I can do about that now?
I already tried fixing the permissions (with a tool called "Cocktail" since this feature has been removed from disk utility) but that didn't help!
And I already tried to delete all the .DS_store files but that didn't help either!

The MacBook Pro runs El Capitan with all the settings and data I copied from a time machine backup from my old MacBook Pro.

What do I mean with "finder view settings" you might ask?
Well, I don't like the default settings for finder windows and change that mostly to "always use icon view" and "snap to grid". After a restart these settings are always gone and reverted to the default list view setting!
Quite annoying!

andi*pandi
Mar 8, 2016, 03:37 PM

I have also had issues with this.

Dr. B
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2016, 06:14 PM

I have powermac G5 tiger. The finder just hangs with a spinning beachball on my desktop. I cannot open any programs and applications. Never finish loading I just get the spinning beachball. Need help. Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Mar 8, 2016, 08:30 PM

Dr. B, your problem should be in it's own thread. We can move it in a bit, after you've seen this post.

You can try holding the Shift key during boot, to force a minimalist safe boot. If that doesn't cure it, disconnect any non-boot drives and the optical drive, then try to boot again. Also unplug all USB / FireWire devices except the keyboard and mouse.

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have also had issues with this.
You had or you still have?
If you don't have the issues anymore, did they just disappear some day?

I really don't understand why I have this problem now! Never had it on my old MacBook Pro and the new one is just a clone with new hardware!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2016, 06:12 PM

I'm on 10.9.5 and that stupid preference never sticks for me for very long. Seems to default to list view when I initially open a new Finder window no matter what I do. I don't recall it ever working. I try with each new OS, but it remains random.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2016, 10:53 PM

I jumped from Snow to Yosemite. Finder view settings became unreliable for me too. It often ignores the mode to open in, instead using whatever mode I reached it via. ie - reach in column view, double-click folder, it opens in column view too. Even though it's set to always open in icon view. It does work right sometimes, but I can't predict the outcome.

Also, icon previews. I have a pictures folder set to show thumbnails. After each reboot, it doesn't show them - the preference becomes unchecked somehow.

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2016, 09:16 AM

Ok, so I am not alone with this issue! Seems to be quite common and I wonder why I never read any complaints about it before!
I still don't undertstand why I didn't have these problems on my old hardware!

mindwaves
Mar 10, 2016, 11:59 PM

Works for me nowadays. Didn't before.

Who uses cover flow view? Most useless viewing mode ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules