Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird Logout/in problem

Weird Logout/in problem
Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 8, 2004, 10:57 PM

my PB logs out and back in by itself, and in odd times too, such as times where i'm doing work, and there seems to be nothing wrong. then boom, just went blue, then the screen resumes, but with all my apps closed, as if i just logged out and then back in. this has happened twice within the month and it's a bit annoying sicne i lose all my work. it's reminiscent of a the auto restart on XP, except this is auto logout and back in.

i didn't except soemthing like this to happen anymore, but it does.

anybody has any idea? and maybe a solution?
Ryan

KidKit
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 02:14 AM

it seems a bit unlikely that it is a logout and login, since many programs will present a dialog box blocking the logout process if they've got unsaved work...

Anyways, just to get more details: Have you installed any new software or hardware lately? Can you replicate the "blue-out" consistently? What programs or situation triggers the "blue-out"? Is your PB connected to the internet when it does that?
mavafyipdq

Slayed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 08:32 AM

Actually, it sounds more like Finder restarting. I would check newly installed programs, and try to determine if they could be the cause. Badly behaving programs will cause finder to restart.

Ryan1524  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 11:29 AM

i always repair permissions after installing something new or big, and when finder restarted, let's call it that for now, i was running istumbler and macstumbler. ok so maybe i wasn't real work, but i was watching many web sites, so i left them open. and istumbler and macstumbler was open while i'm on the road, wardriving i guess.
Ryan

Slayed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 03:54 PM

I assume you are running MacStumbler and IStumbler at different times? I don't think the two programs would play well with each other, and could see them crashing finder.

Ryan1524  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 04:09 PM

i was greedy and ran the at the same time.
because sometimes one picks up a hotspot that the other doesn't. so my PB is not sick then. phew.

but here's another weird thing i wanna ask, when yu repair permissions, should you see the same things being fixed AGAIN when you do it the next time? if so, doesn't that mean the same problem is still there and something is messing with the permission? or is this normal?
Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules