Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does anyone make a "noise free" mouse?>>>

Does anyone make a "noise free" mouse?>>>
Angelo78
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 12:23 AM

It may be a silly question but I sometimes wonder if there's a mouse that doesn't make a "click" sound when...um, click....pressing the buttons? Not that I need one but just curious.

Angelo

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 03:54 PM

That's not a silly question at all. Too many engineers don't give much thought to noise reduction in product design.

Unfortunately, I don't know of one off hand. There are some membrane type roll-up keyboards that are pretty silent, but I don't know of any mice that are.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 05:35 PM

I doubt that there are - the click is all part of the fundamental ergonomics of the mouse; a 'click' tells you that you pressed sufficiently hard.

Without the 'click' I imagine you would have less accurate press to select success - very much like what happens with my Wacom pen sometimes.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I doubt that there are - the click is all part of the fundamental ergonomics of the mouse; a 'click' tells you that you pressed sufficiently hard.
I recall that the old Sun Sparcstations had optical mice that exhibited a more gentle and silent click. That tactile click, as opposed to a loud audio one, was more than enough feedback for me.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 08:13 PM

I personally do not like the 'plasticky' click sound on most keyboard and mice. I get a very soft tactile click on my powerbook with the iSkin cover on, that I am very thankful for. I also use a Kensington optical mouse at work (sorry, can't remember the model) which clicks softer than the regular Apple optical mouse, but its still quite loud. Let me know if anyone out there knows of a softer clicking mouse.
mavafyipdq

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

My dad loves those "clicking" noise. He once told me that if he doesn't hear that "clicking" sound, the mouse is "bad".

AFAIK, the Apple Pro mouse produces the loudest clicking noise compares to two Logitech mice I have, optical wheel mouse and MX700.

Angelo78  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the responses! I guess the search continues. I understand both points made here. On the one hand you've got people who may be uncomfortable not hearing that confirming "click". On the other there are others who would rather have a muted, or silent, click. Granted most probably want the click, I wish an alternative was available.

KidKit I too prefer the softer powerbook sound compared to my mouse. Maybe if Apple ever releases a cool five button mouse they'll make it muted.

Thanks again. If I find anything I'll report back, for those interested.

Angelo

Forum Links
Forum Rules