Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook decision

macbook decision
bcswbc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 12:49 AM

I am looking to purchase a new C2D macbook. The color doesn't really matter to me, but I have a limited amount of $$$ to use to upgrade some features. My question is this: should I 1) upgrade from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB? or 2) should I upgrade the harddrive space.
I currently have a G4 powerbook with 768 MB RAM and 80 GB harddrive.
Will the RAM upgrade really make that much of a performance difference? What about more HD space?
I look forward to your help!

CKr
Nov 27, 2006, 01:44 AM

I would upgrade the RAM to 2GBs. If you do a lot of multitasking you'll thank yourself. Then again if you have a 60GB iPod and a large music library maybe you could use the HD space more than the memory. It's really a matter of what you are going to use the computer for. Overall you'll have a better experience with more memory.

With that said I just ordered a 2.0GHz white MacBook with 2GB memory and the stock hard drive. I rely on external drives to store my photos so hard drive space isn't necessarily an issue for me. Most of my work involves a lot of multitasking, web development, and photo manipulation so I require the extra memory.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 03:21 AM

Perhaps you could be more specific with describing what you are using the macbook for?

The newly refreshed Macbooks are really quite nicely kitted out for the budget concious. If you are not multitasking heavily and you stick with the intel native apps, the 1 GB is adequate, plus you can always add more later. If you opt for an upgrade, going with reputable 3rd party RAM (ie OWC) to save you some $ over Apple's rather pricey upgrade.

Macbook HDDs are easy to swap out, if you are not filling 3/4 of your current 80GB just go with the stock drive and upgrade later.
mavafyipdq

Forum Links
Forum Rules