Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Christopher Lee, 93

RIP Christopher Lee, 93
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 10:15 AM

What an extraordinary career and life, not to mention longevity. One of the all-time greats in cinema.

Actor Christopher Lee dies at 93 - CNN.com
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 10:26 AM

Very sad news, he was one of a kind and will be missed dearly.

RIP
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2015, 12:04 PM

I always thought it was somewhat intimidating in Golden Gun that he was taller than Moore, who wasn't exactly short himself.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 01:33 PM

Didn't know he did so much during WW2. I already held him in high esteem.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2015, 02:42 PM

He must be the most accomplished movie villain of all time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2015, 01:53 PM

22 Incredible Facts About The Life and Career Of Sir Christopher Lee

1) He was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2007 for most screen credits, having appeared in 244 film and TV movies by that point in his career— at which point he made 14 more movies, with a 15th due later this year (titled Angels in Notting Hill). He also holds the record for the tallest leading actor — he stood 6’ 5” — but also for starring in the “most films with a sword fight” with 17.

2) He mother was an Italian contessa, and through her Lee descended from the Emperor Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire, as well as related to Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general.

3) He met Prince Yusupov and Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, the assassins of the Russian monk Rasputin. He didn’t do this as research for his later film role as Rasputin (in the 1966 Hammer film Rasputin the Mad Monk), but just as a child in the 1920s.

4) At age 17, he saw the death of the murderer Eugen Weidmann in Paris, the last person in France to be publicly executed by guillotine.
9) While filming a swordfight with a drunken Errol Flynn during the filming of The Dark Avengers in 1955, Flynn accidentally cut Lee’s hand so badly his finger nearly came off, and permanently injured. Later, Lee cut off Flynn’s wig while Flynn was still wearing it. Flynn stormed off set and refused to come out of his trailer until Lee claimed it was an accident.
11) Lee was not only related to James Bond creator and author Ian Fleming — they were step-cousins — but Lee was actually one of Fleming’s first choices for the role of Bond, not least because of Lee’s World War II and SOC experiences.
14) In the ‘50s, Lee was engaged to Henriette von Rosen, daughter of Count Fritz von Rosen. The Count apparently didn’t like Lee, because after hiring private detectives to investigate the actor and demanding references, he also refused to allow his daughter to marry him unless Lee got the blessing of the King of Sweden. Lee got it.
17) The story has gone around a lot, but it bears repeating because it is incredible: During his death scene in Return of the King (only included in the Extended Edition to Lee’s disapproval), director Peter Jackson was describing to him what sound people getting stabbed in the back should make. Lee gravely responded that he had seen people being stabbed in the back, and knew exactly what sound they made.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2015, 07:59 PM

I direct the collective attention of all and several to the current entry in Badass of the Week relating to Sir Christopher Lee. He was remarkably and broadly accomplished on the field of warfare - in particular being an early member of the forerunner of the SAS, the Long Range Desert Patrol, whose duties included wreaking havoc on Rommel's forces all over North Africa.

Interestingly this specific material was shared to me on Facebook by both my geekiest and most pacifist friend AND Smith Enterprise (maker of M14 rifles, among other things). Sir Christopher was more than just a badass though. He was not only CBE, but also CStJ.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gearhead40
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2015, 01:16 PM

Great actor. Didn't know he was that old! Still doing his craft to the end. Much respect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules