Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nexus One

Nexus One (Page 5)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Are you on 3G?
I believe we've been over this already... I don't care about the 3G... If you do, then by all means don't get a Nexus One to use on AT&T...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I believe we've been over this already... I don't care about the 3G... If you do, then by all means don't get a Nexus One to use on AT&T...
What we've been over is you ignoring a FACT that the N1 doesn't work on AT&T's 3G. Just because YOU don't care, doesn't negate the fact that it's a serious oversight by the makers of the phone.

You treat the FACT like it's an opinion.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 11:23 AM

This thread is almost as bad as the evolution one!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:25 AM

What we've been over is you ignoring a FACT that the N1 doesn't work on AT&T's 3G. Just because YOU don't care, doesn't negate the fact that it's a serious oversight by the makers of the phone.

That sounds like a post right out of the "Glenn sucks!" thread.

He's obviously said that it's a fact that the Nexus One doesn't have 3G on AT&T. If you'll kindly read his comment that he posted...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:27 AM

Um, no. I haven't been ignoring that at all. I put a significant amount of consideration into that fact before making the decision to purchase a Nexus One that will be used on AT&T's network.

I also doubt that it's an oversight by the manufacturers. In fact I would be surprised to learn that they hadn't contemplated the possibility of putting in a radio that would work on both T-Mobile and AT&T's 3G networks. However I suspect that the reason the current Nexus One only works with T-Mobile's 3G is the same reason that the iPhone only works with AT&T's: you can make a cheaper phone that way, and the vast majority of people are only going to use it on the carrier that explicitly supports it.

If you really need 3G connectivity, don't get a Nexus One and use it on AT&T's network. It's that simple: determine which combination of products and services best suites your needs and act accordingly.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That sounds like a post right out of the "Glenn sucks!" thread.

He's obviously said that it's a fact that the Nexus One doesn't have 3G on AT&T. If you'll kindly read his comment that he posted...
If you'll kindly read his response where he ignores that point, maybe you'll kindly understand the problem.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:37 AM

I think you're making up the problem.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 11:49 AM

Are you on 3G?
That's not technically possible. T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100mhz frequencies for 3G, while AT&T uses 850 and 1900. So while their 2g phones are compatible, their 3g phones will not work on the others network unless they're capable of all of those frequencies.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That's not technically possible. T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100mhz frequencies for 3G, while AT&T uses 850 and 1900. So while their 2g phones are compatible, their 3g phones will not work on the others network unless they're capable of all of those frequencies.
You gotta ask nonhuman, since he insinuated that he is using 3G.
Of course, he's gonna deny it, but if you read through Starman's and nonhuman's posts, you'll see that nonhuman makes it look like he is, where in fact, there is no effing way he is.

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You gotta ask nonhuman, since he insinuated that he is using 3G.
Of course, he's gonna deny it, but if you read through Starman's and nonhuman's posts, you'll see that nonhuman makes it look like he is, where in fact, there is no effing way he is.

-t
Wait, when did I say that? I'm pretty sure I was quite explicit with the fact that I am using EDGE with my Nexus One, exactly as I was doing two days ago with my iPhone 2G.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. Whatever.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 01:09 PM

Dude, stop. The FACT it doesn't work on AT&T's 3G isn't a f'n opinion.
Clearly I disagree since I'm using a Nexus One on AT&T as I type this...
Are you on 3G?
Wait, when did I say that? I'm pretty sure I was quite explicit with the fact that I am using EDGE with my Nexus One, exactly as I was doing two days ago with my iPhone 2G.
Are you crazy ?

SM: Doesn't work on AT&T 3G
You: I disagree since I'm using a Nexus One on AT&T

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 01:28 PM

Are you crazy ?

SM: Doesn't work on AT&T 3G
You: I disagree since I'm using a Nexus One on AT&T

-t
What I was disagreeing with was your implication that, since the Nexus One isn't compatible with AT&T's 3G network, using it on AT&T shouldn't even be considered an option. Since I've stated exactly that—explicitly—on multiple occasions in this thread I didn't think it was necessary to spell that out yet again.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 01:30 PM

Well, but you do admit that that particular piece in the conversation thread can be easily misread.
Apparently, jokell82 hasn't followed the whole conversation, hence his comment regarding 3G.

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 01:31 PM

Well, but you do admit that that particular piece in the conversation thread can be easily misread.
Apparently, jokell82 hasn't followed the whole conversation, hence his comment regarding 3G.

-t
Yes, someone who jumps into a conversation at the end without getting themselves up to speed might misinterpret statements that refer back to previous ideas mentioned.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What is different is that now there is a plan that allows you to practically be able to get unlocked phones, instead of it being prohibitively expensive to do so, and as a result you actually end up paying less for the unlocked phone than you would have for the locked one.
Big whoop. They are late to the party.

I don't see how it is better or different from this:
WIND Mobile | Shop | Choose your Voice Plan

No contracts, you own the phone, great plans (unlimited). Heck they will even sell you just a SIM and you can bring whatever phone you want.

Nexus is a Niche within a Niche.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

No contracts, you own the phone, great plans (unlimited). Heck they will even sell you just a SIM and you can bring whatever phone you want.

Nexus is a Niche within a Niche.
That does those of us in the US a whole lot of good...

I don't think anyone here denies that the US is lagging behind pretty much the whole rest of the world when it comes to just about every aspect of mobile telephony.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 03:38 PM

That does those of us in the US a whole lot of good...

I don't think anyone here denies that the US is lagging behind pretty much the whole rest of the world when it comes to just about every aspect of mobile telephony.
Well didn't the US just sell a bunch of 700mhz to new carriers? Wind did that in Canada and is one of the new ones. Don't see why they wouldn't come to the US.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 03:43 PM

O'Rly ?

I love how this myth gets perpetuated over and over again.

The US might not be leading, but it's by far not the caboose.

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 04:00 PM

Paying for incoming calls will always be stupid. No matter how far the US may come.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Paying for incoming calls will always be stupid. No matter how far the US may come.
Pfff, weak argument.

Minutes cost a fraction of what they cost in other countries.

Plus, you ARE aware that other countries charge you extra high rates when you call a cell phone, often ridiculously high compared to local calls.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Honestly I find anything other than unlimited ridiculous. I never understood the whole minutes thing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 04:29 PM

I never understood the whole minutes thing.
Some people don't use a lot. I know, very complex.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 04:36 PM

Honestly I find anything other than unlimited ridiculous. I never understood the whole minutes thing.
Well, get used to it.

Flat-rate models are about to die.
Those "all-you-can-use" data plans are not sustainable in the long run.

Why ? Because you always have some idiots that use abnormally high bandwidth, paid by everyone else.
In order to guarantee QoS and available bandwidth, more and more providers are going to jump off the flat-rate bandwagon.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 04:38 PM

Well, get used to it.

Flat-rate models are about to die.
Those "all-you-can-use" data plans are not sustainable in the long run.
-t
Na actually they are all just starting to turn into unlimited plans and not the other way around. As for data though the "unlimited" is 5-6 gigs/month which is way way more I could ever use anyway.

You can bet At%T will be adding caps too especially if skype works over 3G

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 04:38 PM

It's different maybe because, i dunno, you can use it in the US?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 04:40 PM

Na actually they are all just starting to turn into unlimited plans and not the other way around. As for data though the "unlimited" is 5-6 gigs/month which is way way more I could ever use anyway.

You can bet At%T will be adding caps too especially if skype works over 3G
I don't think that's where it's headed.

The companies already started preparing the public for it.
E.g. Verizon CTO: flat-rate data 'isn't long-term sustainable' -- Engadget

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jan 14, 2010 at 04:59 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 04:43 PM

Attempting it now...

I was, in fact, able to transfer a file to the Nexus One over Bluetooth. I do not have the ability to 'Browse Device' over Bluetooth though, nor have I (yet, at least) found a way to initiate a transfer from the Nexus One to my Mac.

I just installed the Bluetooth File Transfer app on the phone, and once I turned on Bluetooth Sharing in my Sharing pref pane I was able to transfer files from the Nexus to my Mac over Bluetooth as well.
Thanks! What type of files were they? Did it work with MP3 files (some phones block this)? Can you use a transferred MP3 file as your ringtone?

Also, are you able to trigger the voice dialing feature from a Bluetooth headset, or do you have to actually physically pull the phone out for that?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks! What type of files were they? Did it work with MP3 files (some phones block this)? Can you use a transferred MP3 file as your ringtone?

Also, are you able to trigger the voice dialing feature from a Bluetooth headset, or do you have to actually physically pull the phone out for that?
I tried it with a .txt, .pdf, and a .m4a file. Strangely, for all of them OS X told me that the phone wouldn't accept that kind of file but then gave me the option to try anyway. It worked.

The m4a I transferred can't be used as a ringtone, but I don't know if that's because it's the wrong kind of file or if I just need to put it in a different location or what. I still need to experiment with that.

Let me test the voice dialing right now, I happen to have my bluetooth headphones on to listen to music off the N1...

Hmm, doesn't seem to work. :/ Might be that my headphones aren't sending the right signal for that though (I'm using NOKIA BH-503s). I can, however, answer calls from the headphones just fine.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 05:25 PM

I'm quite impressed so far...

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 05:46 PM

I tried it with a .txt, .pdf, and a .m4a file. Strangely, for all of them OS X told me that the phone wouldn't accept that kind of file but then gave me the option to try anyway. It worked.

The m4a I transferred can't be used as a ringtone, but I don't know if that's because it's the wrong kind of file or if I just need to put it in a different location or what. I still need to experiment with that.
Try an MP3, and see what happens. Good to know that it at least supports OBEX at all, but if it can't be a ringtone, then that's not that useful (although I suppose it'd still be good for getting stuff like pictures off the phone).

Let me test the voice dialing right now, I happen to have my bluetooth headphones on to listen to music off the N1...

Hmm, doesn't seem to work. :/ Might be that my headphones aren't sending the right signal for that though (I'm using NOKIA BH-503s). I can, however, answer calls from the headphones just fine.
Yeah, I'm not terribly surprised since that didn't work on the iPhone last time I tried it either. It seems these big expensive "smartphones" often have trouble supporting the kind of basic functionality that you can find on a six year old piece of junk RAZR. I am still having trouble figuring out why that is.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:14 PM

I know it's possible to create custom ringtones, I just haven't gone to the trouble of figuring out how yet. I would be extremely surprised if it couldn't be done with an arbitrary MP3 (and a little surprised if it couldn't be done with other sorts of audio files as well).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 06:17 PM

It's different maybe because, i dunno, you can use it in the US?
Um, what's Nexus' big selling point then in other countries?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:20 PM

I'd expect it to be possible since the thing's unlocked, but then again you never know. With the original iPhone, you had to jailbreak it in order to put custom ringtones, and later on they added that thing where you had to pay $1 extra for approved iTunes Store items...

Basically, it may seem silly and frivolous, but the ability to make arbitrary ringtones from my CD collection is important to me, so I'd like to know that that's possible.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:21 PM

Um, what's Nexus' big selling point then in other countries?
... it's an HTC smartphone with Android on it?

You know, the same selling point that it has in the US?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:22 PM

I'd expect it to be possible since the thing's unlocked, but then again you never know. With the original iPhone, you had to jailbreak it in order to put custom ringtones, and later on they added that thing where you had to pay $1 extra for approved iTunes Store items...

Basically, it may seem silly and frivolous, but the ability to make arbitrary ringtones from my CD collection is important to me, so I'd like to know that that's possible.
That's high on my list of things to figure out as well, but I'm going camping this weekend so I won't really be able to play around with it too much until next week. Fortunately—for this purpose, if not others—my wife will be out of town next week when I get back so I'll have lots of time to geek out over my phone.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2010, 06:25 PM

I have a rooted G1, and I assure you that .mp3 files can be used as ringtones. I haven't tried an .m4a, but have used quite a few of my own mp3 ringtones in the past. I have little interest/need to transfer files over bluetooth, but know that several apps exist in the market to make it possible. Obex isn't an official part of android yet though, as far as I'm aware.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:27 PM

From what nonhuman described, it seems like the latest version of Android that's on the N1 has OBEX, so the question becomes whether MP3s can be set as ringtones on a non-rooted phone.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
I have a rooted G1, and I assure you that .mp3 files can be used as ringtones. I haven't tried an .m4a, but have used quite a few of my own mp3 ringtones in the past. I have little interest/need to transfer files over bluetooth, but know that several apps exist in the market to make it possible. Obex isn't an official part of android yet though, as far as I'm aware.
What do you have to do to get the MP3s to work as ringtones? Are they automatically detected? Do you have to put them in a particular directory?

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2010, 06:38 PM

You can create a folder anywhere in the phone directory structure named "ringtones" and put your mp3 files in it. I believe also if you find the song in question using the music app, you can long press on it and then select "use as ringtone" or something similar.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 06:41 PM

I realize it’s possible Apple will break this in a future release, but you can make arbitrary iPhone ringtones from your CD collection. Edit, convert to AAC, change file extension to .m4r, and double-click. Shows up in your ringtones collection in iTunes. Time limit is 40 seconds, but that’s probably not a huge problem in most cases.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, but figured I’d get in and say it before somebody berated you for not acknowledging it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
You can create a folder anywhere in the phone directory structure named "ringtones" and put your mp3 files in it. I believe also if you find the song in question using the music app, you can long press on it and then select "use as ringtone" or something similar.
Nice, I just made an m4a file into my ringtone using the music app method. Worked like a charm!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 06:51 PM

Sweet, good to know.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 07:28 PM

BTW who here finds trendy pop songs blasting some random verse all distorted in public the coolest thing EVER!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 07:35 PM

������ Look at my horse, my horse is amazing! ������

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 07:54 PM

BTW who here finds trendy pop songs blasting some random verse all distorted in public the coolest thing EVER!
Trendy pop songs? If I wanted to blast those, I wouldn't need to make my own - I could just buy them from the carrier's retarded ringtone store. I prefer to have mine play an excerpt from Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor. I bet you don't hear too many of those while walking down the street.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 08:31 PM

Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. It's like him enjoying his purchase bothers you.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. It's like him enjoying his purchase bothers you.
Nope that's just a side note to all phone owners including iPhones.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 15, 2010, 08:20 AM

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > Nexus One Upgrade Price Slashed

Google has suddenly slashed the upgrade price of its Superphone - the Nexus One just over a week post its launch. It was just yesterday that reports of the Nexus One's rather poor showing in the sales charts was revealed.

Was this a knee jerk reaction from Google to make the Nexus One an attractive deal for new users and in turn to improve the sale figures for the phone? Might be. Ever since its launch, the Nexus One was plagued by costumer service issues - and some technical issues with the phone switching on to the slower EDGE network on T-Mobile even when there's 3G available.

The price of the upgrade at the time of launch was $379 which has now been slashed to $279. Those who have already paid $379 for the upgrade will get a rebate from Google. Google sure knows how to keep everyone happy.

Will this be enough to push the sales graph of the Nexus One through the roof? Only time will tell.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 10:27 AM

Nope that's just a side note to all phone owners including iPhones.
He didn't claim it was anything more than that, nitwit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules