Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FedEx, surprisingly awesome?

FedEx, surprisingly awesome?
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2008, 11:08 PM

I ordered a Cinema Display from Apple on Thursday the 7th. It shipped that night, and Fedex gave me an expected delivery date of the 12th. It was just the standard free shipping.

So color me surprised when yesterday, Saturday the 9th, the online status tells me the display is out for delivery. Sure enough, it arrives about 11 in the mourning.

Pretty freakin fast delivery. To be fair, the house in Portland is pretty close to the Fedex depot. But it's still odd it would get delivered on a Saturday 3 days early.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I know people have had a lot of bad experiences with Fedex...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2008, 11:13 PM

I've actually had similar things happen. I can't remember any specifics, but at least 2 or 3 times I've had a package that I ordered with the cheapest possible shipping method arrive the next day.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2008, 11:17 PM

did you know there is an arrow between the "e" and the "x" in the fedex logo?!?!??!

i KNOW, it's f'n bananas.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2008, 11:23 PM

The same exact thing happened to my package a few years back (it was shipped via UPS). I now must conclude that both private shipping companies are super freaking awesome!

Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
did you know there is an arrow between the "e" and the "x" in the fedex logo?!?!??!

I thought I was the only person to notice that. I told no one. How dare you ruin it?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2008, 11:45 PM

I remember stuff I ordered from Apple always came from their warehouse in Elk Grove, but lately stuff I order comes from Mira Loma Ca. Now if I order something around noon, I'll get it the next morning.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post

NO WAI!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2008, 11:53 PM

FedEx for me has been the best of all the delivery services. They actually call me to make delivery. UPS isn't that good, but it is acceptable. DHL is horrific. It is the worst of all. I live in a gated apartment building, and all 5 deliveries that I received recently via DHL, was horrible. The driver wouldn't even slow down as he blasted past my building, and he wouldn't leave any kind of notice.

Several weeks later, I noticed a DHL tag on the front gate. There are almost 25 people in this building, and the only information that the idiot driver leaves is the package number and maybe the time he tried to drop it off. NOTHING about which apartment or last name. NOTHING. Who's to know who the tag belongs too.

I didn't think it was possible, but DHL is absolutely the worst delivery service ever. Each of those 5 times I didn't get a tag, I called DHL Customer Service and they swore they would fix the problem. NO FIX.

Sorry about the rant, but they deserve it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I ordered a Cinema Display from Apple on Thursday the 7th. It shipped that night, and Fedex gave me an expected delivery date of the 12th. It was just the standard free shipping.

So color me surprised when yesterday, Saturday the 9th, the online status tells me the display is out for delivery. Sure enough, it arrives about 11 in the mourning.

Pretty freakin fast delivery. To be fair, the house in Portland is pretty close to the Fedex depot. But it's still odd it would get delivered on a Saturday 3 days early.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I know people have had a lot of bad experiences with Fedex...
We at FedEx *ahem* will usually deliver a package in advance of the delivery date so long as we have possession of it at the delivery station. It basically stems from the fact that it's a lot easier to keep track of what we do have when we get rid of everything that comes into the station as quickly as possible.

UPS, on the other hand, doesn't seem to operate in the same way for some reason.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 12:10 AM

UPS, on the other hand, doesn't seem to operate in the same way for some reason.
And that is annoying as hell. TNT and DHL don’t do it either (not here, at least). They had my PowerBook for something like six days (tracking status on their web site said, “Delivered at local depot, Glostrup” that whole time) before they delivered it, just so they’d deliver on the expected delivery date—heaven forbid the customer gets his things early!

Bloody idiotic system.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 12:16 AM

I think it depends partly on delivery distance.

I think UPS' take on it is that if you're sending a package from, say... California to Nevada that you want delivered the next day, your incentive to actually pay for overnight service is pretty low if you know it'll get there the next day through the slowest service because of the delivery distance.

The post office seems to operate similarly but I don't think they're as bad a UPS.

I wont say we're never guilty of the same thing. But if we have something in the station that isn't due for delivery for another day or two and it doesn't go out, it's because we're experiencing higher than usual volume and other stuff that is due is taking priority for the driver in that area.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 12:27 AM

I think it depends partly on delivery distance.

I think UPS' take on it is that if you're sending a package from, say... California to Nevada that you want delivered the next day, your incentive to actually pay for overnight service is pretty low if you know it'll get there the next day through the slowest service because of the delivery distance.
I’m not sure I’m following you here...

Mine was shipped from Shanghai, I think. For some reason, it arrived in Glostrup (about 15 miles from where I live, the closest ‘local’ depot there is) almost a week sooner than expected. I live in the metropolitan area, so there’s no way they didn’t have other deliveries somewhere right here in my neighbourhood during those six extra days—but nope, they left it there that long.

I didn’t pay for overnight service, of course (wouldn’t have possible anyway from Shanghai, would it?). It wouldn’t have mattered if it had just been on schedule, being shipped on the right date, arriving at Glostrup on the right date, and then delivered to me on the right date. It’s more the kind of passive-aggressive provocation that, sure, we can get the thing around the world to about 15 miles from where you live in no time—but then we’re going to taunt you by keeping it there an extra week!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
And that is annoying as hell. TNT and DHL don’t do it either (not here, at least). They had my PowerBook for something like six days (tracking status on their web site said, “Delivered at local depot, Glostrup” that whole time) before they delivered it, just so they’d deliver on the expected delivery date—heaven forbid the customer gets his things early!

Bloody idiotic system.
Over a month ago, I ordered a book for my current class, it was one of the packages that DHL didn't even try to deliver. I paid the Book company a premium for 2 to 5 day delivery. That book sat in a DHL warehouse 400 miles from me for almost 7 days. Needless to say, even though I ordered the book over 2 weeks before class start, I didn't get the book until the following week.

Avoid DHL at all cost. They do NOT care that their service sucks.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
NO WAI!
WAI.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
We at FedEx *ahem* will usually deliver a package in advance of the delivery date so long as we have possession of it at the delivery station. It basically stems from the fact that it's a lot easier to keep track of what we do have when we get rid of everything that comes into the station as quickly as possible.

I didn't think Fedex even delivered standard packages on Saturdays though...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 01:14 AM

Eh, it happens. But not all the time.

The thing with Saturday is that nearly everybody that is delivering volunteered to come in for the overtime. So as Saturday is planned during the week, it is done assuming that x number of people will be volunteering to come in and that there will be x amount of work to distribute.

If there winds up being less Saturday packages than there are drivers who were told to come in to run them, that's when stuff that isn't due for a couple of days heads out.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 04:20 AM

The only problem I have with the Fed Ex guy is how he parks in the road, (I live in the country and have a driveway) sets my package on the step, knocks and literally RUNS back to the truck and takes off.

I hate that. The UPS guy doesn't do that shiit.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 08:15 AM

See, there ya go - I prefer that they deliver a package when they say they're going to, and not earlier.

Saves getting up at 7 am every day until it arrives.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2008, 09:55 AM

Whenever I've had parcels delivered via FedEx, they've been delivered on time or earlier, been in great shape, and I've been very satisfied with the whole process. But...

A neighbor gets regular shipments that could be best described as big envelopes. Now I know that FedEx has different divisions for different kinds of deliveries, but don't you think ALL of their delivery guys should at least be able to read the freakin' address on both the package and the house? Not so with the guy who delivers big envelopes in my neighborhood. He consistently delivers these envelopes to my next door neighbor (which has this big "for sale" sign in the yard and has been vacant for about 2 months now) instead of the correct address-it goes to "2518" instead of "2618". Geeeeeezzzzzz!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
FedEx for me has been the best of all the delivery services. They actually call me to make delivery. UPS isn't that good, but it is acceptable. DHL is horrific. It is the worst of all.
Well, the greatness of Fedex is something they are working on to get "fixed".

FedEx seen in talks to buy DHL - Jan. 25, 2008

-t

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

Interestingly, I've had the best luck with Fedex and DHL - I avoid UPS when possible, and will only use their ground service if I'm ordering within their "1-day-to-deliver" range [which, for me, extends into most of NY].

I've had FedEx do the early delivery bit as well... always a nice surprise.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

kelso
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 10:35 AM

I've always had good experiences with FedEx. Things would always be delivered a lot earlier. But there are a few cases where I noticed when I was tracking the package, that it went back and forth to Alaska 2 or 3 times but yet I still got it early.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 12:00 PM

Bloody idiotic system.
On the other hand, if I have to ensure I'm at home that day to receive the package, I definitely do not want it arriving early unless I have some advance warning.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
See, there ya go - I prefer that they deliver a package when they say they're going to, and not earlier.

7 AM?

Well, over here, they only deliver between 10 AM and 3 PM, so I don’t have to get up too early.

Besides, if they’d taken it out the first day they got it, and had failed to deliver it because I wasn’t home, I could have called them and arranged for them to deliver it the next day, either to my home address or my work address, depending on where I’d be. I’d still have had it four days sooner than I did.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The same exact thing happened to my package a few years back (it was shipped via UPS). I now must conclude that both private shipping companies are super freaking awesome!
I think you are remembering things incorrectly... UPS will not do that.

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
The only problem I have with the Fed Ex guy is how he parks in the road, (I live in the country and have a driveway) sets my package on the step, knocks and literally RUNS back to the truck and takes off.

I hate that. The UPS guy doesn't do that shiit.
Why does that bother you? You like chatting with the delivery person?

Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
On the other hand, if I have to ensure I'm at home that day to receive the package, I definitely do not want it arriving early unless I have some advance warning.
With UPS (or FedEx) if they try to deliver and you are not home (or do not answer) they leave a note on your door, or just leave the package if no signature is required. So delivering early shouldn't be all that bad for someone. Then again, we always get packages around 3PM (sometimes even up till 7:30PM), so I don't have the 7am problem.

I hate that UPS lets the package just sit at their location until the delivery date. If it arrives in town 4 days early it will not ship till the delivery date, and you cannot pick it up until the delivery date. Makes me frustrated to have something just sitting there and not being able to go pick it up.

FedEx is would be my choice over UPS anytime, and the second runner-up is just the normal USPS delivery.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 05:45 AM

7 AM?

Well, over here, they only deliver between 10 AM and 3 PM, so I don’t have to get up too early.
Notice I said "getting up" at 7 am. I like an hour to get my head together in the morning. They generally deliver anywhere between 8 am and 6 pm.

Besides, if they’d taken it out the first day they got it, and had failed to deliver it because I wasn’t home, I could have called them and arranged for them to deliver it the next day, either to my home address or my work address, depending on where I’d be. I’d still have had it four days sooner than I did.
Yep, they do that here too. But I'm none too keen on the type of stuff I have delivered bouncing around on the back of a delivery truck for two days.

Anyways, Parcel Line is where it's at. You can tell 'em what time you want the delivery (only carrier I know who does guaranteed afternoon deliveries). Stuff comes with a message to the driver still attached "This package must be delivered between *** and *** or you're looking for a new job, etc..".

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 05:54 AM

Must be a British problem again.

Our buildings come fitted with doorbells.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Must be a British problem again.

Our buildings come fitted with doorbells.
Which can obviously automatically open the door and sign the chitty while you're still upstairs having a dump. Or while you've got your head buried in some DT100s.

This is why I admire German inventiveness and engineering.
( Last edited by Doofy; Feb 12, 2008 at 06:49 AM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2008, 09:13 PM

Notice I said "getting up" at 7 am. I like an hour to get my head together in the morning. They generally deliver anywhere between 8 am and 6 pm.
You need to get your head together before signing a piece of paper?

Me, I’d just sleep in and wait to be awoken by the door bell, scribble something on the piece of paper (with the delivery guy sniggering at the blathering idiot standing in his undies in the doorway with puffy eyes, trying to look alive), put the pack on the table, and go back to bed to sleep till noon.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 09:26 PM

You need to get your head together before signing a piece of paper?
I have an image to maintain.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 09:38 PM

I have a small rant about FedEx ground.. (which I didn't know there were separate facilities for air and ground). 2 weeks ago the fedex guy brought my iMac to my house and rang the doorbell. I was walking from the kitchen to the front door which is NOT far at all. By the time I got to the door he was getting back in his truck pulling away. I tried to chase him down but it was too late. I was extremely mad. I called fedex and they tracked him down and they gave me his cell phone number. He gave me 2 options. A) Wait until tomorrow (HELL NO) B) or meet him on his route. Of course I met him and asked him why the hell he ran back to his truck so quickly... His excuse you may ask? He had a bunch of deliveries to make. WTF! You can't wait literally 10 seconds? Anyways.. that was it. I guess I'll go to extremes when it's an Apple product..

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 07:20 AM

So. Apple just turfed up with those degrade install disks. Thought they'd be in the mail, but no - they sent a courier (utterly free of charge). Good job I had a "phone blah blah blah if no answer" sign on the kitchen window because I was in the bath. My image took a severe battering, but I have 10.4 install disks so I don't care.

Kevin Dunahee
Feb 13, 2008, 09:50 AM

I read all the way to the bottom and thought 'this makes sense, FedEx has been surprisingly awesome lately.' And then I realized, the problem with this post was in the very first sentence.

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I ordered a Cinema Display from Apple on Thursday the 7th.
Why? Because of you, Apple thinks people still want their dinosaur displays... Just kidding, the screens are still great. Congrats on your new purchase.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 10:01 AM

I just had yet another bad experience with UPS. On Monday I slept through the UPS guys delivery attempt (hey, it was 9am!), so he left a sticker on the window that said he'd try again on Tuesday before 10:30 AM, and that a signature was required. So I sat around waiting until 11:30. Nothing. Eventually I decided that he just wasn't going to come that day, got my stuff ready to go, and left. What do I find on the front porch? My $400 package that he wouldn't drop off the day before because a signature was required, but that he was more than happy to drop off this time without even bothering to see if I was home.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2008, 11:23 AM

I have an image to maintain.
What part of the rock ’n’ roll image does not play nicely with tearing open the door, looking wild and unkempt, wearing only your underwear (and with a glimpse of scantily clads damsels in the background—though I suspect this latter one applies more to you than it does to me)?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 12:22 PM

What part of the rock ’n’ roll image does not play nicely with tearing open the door, looking wild and unkempt, wearing only your underwear (and with a glimpse of scantily clads damsels in the background—though I suspect this latter one applies more to you than it does to me)?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee View Post
Why? Because of you, Apple thinks people still want their dinosaur displays... Just kidding, the screens are still great. Congrats on your new purchase.
Because it will look great next to my 8 core Mac Pro I ordered at the same time.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2008, 09:09 PM

Learned tonight that FedEx "lost" my MacBook Air before it even made it into the country.

I'm not a happy camper. So you'll excuse me for negating the point of the entire thread.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules