Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ordered 1 Ghz 15.2 inch Powerbook Today...

Ordered 1 Ghz 15.2 inch Powerbook Today...
Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 06:04 AM

That's right, I waited til after Macworld, I was in the market for a powerbook, and I decided on the 15 incher. The $200 price drop and the ATI card were the selling point for me. I could see being sad if I'd spent $2999 on the Powerbook before the fact, but since it's after now, it's a $500 price difference for some features I don't need all that much. The 15 incher is a better deal IMO at the moment. Anyways, one quick question. Is it worth getting one of those neoprene pads for the keyboard? Has anyone had problems with the keyboard scratching their screen when the laptop is closed? Thanx.
-Alex

AxelFonze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 06:22 AM

I started noticing marks on my screen about a week ago, but they were faint and came off when I cleaned the screen. Now I use a piece of 8.5 by 11 piece of paper, and it works great.
"Somebody set us up the bomb"

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 06:53 AM

I got one of those screen protectors when I first got my powerbook a year ago (time to upgrade!), and I suggest you save your money. A sheet of paper or thin fabric cut to cover the screen will do just fine.

I agree with your choice on the 15.2" TiBook... at this point it is a better deal (Radeon 9000 Mobility is better than the the GeForce), it costs a lot less for most of the same features, plus it can still boot in OS 9 (unlike the new PB's), something that is still important to me. The next PB i'll buy will be the 15.2",I'll get the 17-incher after it goes through a revision or two. But, damn, those new PB's a fly as hell...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

MickS
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 07:52 AM

My TiBook has had a slick handkerchief between the keyboard and screen since the day I bought it. No keyboard markings on my screen.

Basically anything thin and software between the keyboard and screen will prevent the markings.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 08:15 AM

Swiffer cloth

I use a Swiffer cloth on my TiBook which covers the keyboard and track pad perfectly. Cheap and easy to replace, useful round the house and good to dust the TiBook with as well.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:33 AM

Yes, Get a screen protector! I got one for my Superdrive Ti, And I have brought it all over the world... No marks on the screen whatsoever!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 07:50 AM

If I were you, I wouldn't put just any old thing between the keyboard and the screen. I mean, come on: a Swiffer cloth!? Aren't they very abrasive (how do they pick up all that dust?).

I recommend the PowersaveRz cloth from www.radtech.us. Costs $10 and is made of the same cloth used for cleaning eyeglasses.

Don't get it embossed with a logo: the logo is printed on and could be abrasive.

Neoprene keyboard covers are too thick for the TiBook. You don't want to have to force the screen closed.

azark
Jan 10, 2003, 11:37 AM

Clothes can put strain on the latch, so the best is a paper sheet.

I have used my Ti-550 for one year without any protection, I never had anything on the screen that can't be washed.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:05 PM

I can vouch for the Powersaverz cloth. It is thin enough that it basically just lays between the keyboard and the screen given the normal tension that keeps the two slightly apart; the mark thing is that it doesn't take much at all to push the two slightly together in a computer bag. Basically, having a thin soft and rigid cloth like the Powersaverz means you have a layer of protection that will stay there and not collapse in on itself nor overtension the hinge. And it saves a lot of trouble with cleaning the display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules