Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > On-line Photo hosting

On-line Photo hosting
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2009, 05:52 PM

I'd really like to get my photos on-line so that family and friends don't have to wait until I send attachments to emails or DVDs in the post.

Since I use Gmail and Docs, I'm pretty sure that I don't want to rely on Google/Picassa for my photos.

The galleries wouldn't be viewable by the public, but I would want different people to have different rights on different galleries (not sure if this is clear or not : not an all-or-nothing-situation if you know what I mean).

I'd like to be able to link to photos in forums and blogs without giving away an identity if possible. Guess that I could still use Dropbox for this if necessary.

I'm tempted by

1) Flickr
2) getting MobileMe for a hosted web solution or
3) just getting a password protected website.

MobileMe is the most tempting atm, not just in terms of web hosting but the extra stuff that comes with it, plus Mac integration. Doesn't seem to expensive either. Flickr seems good but I'm not sure of Yahoo's future, and therefore Flickr's future.

So, what do you guys and gals think ?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2009, 06:36 PM

I have used ImageShack, and except for a few oddities with their policies (like if there's a word their brain-damaged bots think is pr0n in a post they block the pictures) they've been good for me. I have been relying on my own site to host my pictures for the last year or so, and that's been quite helpful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Mar 30, 2009, 07:26 PM

Flickr allows four access settings: public, private you, private friends, private family.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 07:40 PM

Flickr all the way. So far Yahoo haven't managed to ruin it and even if they should go bust, which I doubt, Flickr would survive. There are several iPhoto/Aperture to flickr plugins available.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2009, 07:41 PM

Opinion:

I use Flickr just because I like the interface, it's easy as pie to get things online to link to and I've had an account for a long time. On the other hand, I HATE yahoo, so that would be my sole reason NOT to use it if I wasn't too preoccupied to transfer all my photos out of it.

Picasa is nice, but I've had a lot of trouble getting images to display properly or at all when posting pictures in forums, for example.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2009, 07:56 PM

I use smugmug myself and I'm very happy with the service.
~Mike

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I use smugmug myself and I'm very happy with the service.
^
I don't use them, but I have heard great things about them. People seem to like them quite a bit.

I would either use Flickr, or SmugMug if I needed a service like that this.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2009, 11:23 PM

I'm super happy using Flickr, although I do wish they provided more granular access control.

Flickr Pro is only like $25/yr and gives you unlimited uploads, albums, and collections.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2009, 01:59 AM

Flickr for me too. 25$ a year is nothing for such a easy to use tool. Works great and is pretty easy to use.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2009, 07:28 AM

SmugMug eh??

Maflynn, How's the integration with (for example) iPhoto? Which level did you get?

Cheers for the replies people.

Nobody mentioned MobileMe, are there still problems?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
SmugMug eh??

Maflynn, How's the integration with (for example) iPhoto? Which level did you get?

Cheers for the replies people.

Nobody mentioned MobileMe, are there still problems?
One thing to keep in mind is that these commercial sites (like Smugmug, flickr) tend to be blocked by companies (I know mine does). I use my own server with domain name and all along with iweb.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2009, 10:38 AM

It doesn't have the fine tuned controls with groups and passwords, but I use getdropbox.com to host photos for my family.

It isn't the most powerful system out there, but dragging pictures into a folder is about as easy as it gets.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2009, 07:52 PM

I have .mac, flickr, and dropbox. Of those, flickr has the easiest blog/facebook hookup. I do wish it had easier support for forums without having to edit their code. Dropbox I don't tend to post much. .Mac gets used by the family who can't remember my flickr address, or things I want to keep private yet share in a few places... privacy only by obscurity I know. I'd use .mac more but haven't upgraded to iLife whatever and they seem to have disabled old fashioned homepages.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 08:27 PM

Flickr all the way

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 07:49 AM

villalobos, same thing at my work - Flickr uploads are blocked (I've just had it confirmed by one of the firewall guys)

Guess I'll only be able to upload at home, shouldn't be TOO much of an issue.

I presume that those Flickr fans have paid for the Pro account ?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 2, 2009, 09:52 PM

Another vote for SmugMug.

I am a PRO Account holder ($150/yr.) and I LOVE it. The guy that runs it is quite the geek and your whole site can be tailored to look like anything from a basic photo gallery site to your own designs at your own URL. Also privacy settings are a breeze.

Their basic account is similar to Flickr. And if you use this code "flickr" you'll get 50% off your first year, which makes it cheaper than Flickr. Lastly, they have a app called smuglr that will import your photos from flickr to SmugMug.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 05:10 AM

OK, black mark number 1 - and its a biggie - against Flickr. To download the original photo, even if you have shared your set, one needs to have a Flickr account. So Flickr is out for me.

Does SmugMug force someone to have an account if they want to download a shared photo?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2009, 07:29 AM

Nope, I have plenty of people who want my pictures and they download them for free and w/o an account.

I believe they smugmug has a trial offer, I suspect flickr does as well. Try them out and see what fits your needs the best.
~Mike

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 08:18 AM

I've signed up for the free trial of SmugMug and I've used their tool to transfer all my photos that are at Flickr to SmugMug - very painless and seems to work well.

This probably has to do with the transfer from Flickr to SmugMug, but if you upload a 3M file then I presume that when you "right-click save as" under Windows (which grandparents will be using) you will get the actuall 3M file that was uploaded. Can a SmugMug user confirm this please - before I splash the cash?

Cheers.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 3, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I've signed up for the free trial of SmugMug and I've used their tool to transfer all my photos that are at Flickr to SmugMug - very painless and seems to work well.

This probably has to do with the transfer from Flickr to SmugMug, but if you upload a 3M file then I presume that when you "right-click save as" under Windows (which grandparents will be using) you will get the actuall 3M file that was uploaded. Can a SmugMug user confirm this please - before I splash the cash?

Cheers.
Yes, you can upload the original and anyone (as long as you set permissions) can download the original. Here is an example.

On that picture:
  1. Set the appearance of the page
  2. I have hidden my identity,
  3. allowed EXIF data to be shown,
  4. set who is allowed to view what sizes,
  5. set who is able to buy what products,
  6. set who is able to link to the file,
  7. set who is able to download the file,
  8. set if google can index the file...
  9. .... [stuff I forgot] ...
  10. ?????
  11. PROFIT!!!

Railroader
Banned
Apr 3, 2009, 11:16 AM

Don't forget to add the code "flickr" to get 50% off your first year of Smugmug. That makes it cheaper than Flickr the first year.

EDIT: And if you want to save an additional $5, type in the code: j9Qkmv4cJNmYE

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2009, 12:45 PM

Yeah I'm sold. Tested it with my mother this afternoon. Think that I'll only use the 'standard' package though.

Cheers for the feedback on this thread, my mother will really appreciate it !!

Forum Links
Forum Rules