Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Flip4Mac: the dumbest software name ever

Flip4Mac: the dumbest software name ever
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:47 PM

I've always wondered what the rationale was behind this name. Not only does it not suggest anything about video (as is common with many other software titles), it just sounds unprofessional and kind of embarrassing to bring up. Is anybody else with me?

If they wanted to come up with a more professional sounding name that people like and recognize, they could have went with "besson3c", but I digress...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:50 PM

really, who cares? it's essentially invisible, you don't have to open it, see it's name in the dock. you install it, it does it's thing.
AND it's free..
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 11:51 PM

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:54 PM

Maybe you should go to their website and learn about their name.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
really, who cares? it's essentially invisible, you don't have to open it, see it's name in the dock. you install it, it does it's thing.
AND it's free..
I'm not losing sleep over it, it doesn't impact me really, I just find it bizarre...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If they wanted to come up with a more professional sounding name that people like and recognize, they could have went with "besson3c", but I digress...
But if they did that, I wouldn't be able to trust their installer not to leave crap all over my hard drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
But if they did that, I wouldn't be able to trust their installer not to leave crap all over my hard drive.
Yes, it would probably litter "metadata" all over the place (and by metadata I mean my healthy and rich stool samples which are available for scientists to purchase for further study)

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 07:24 AM

Yes, it would probably litter "metadata" all over the place (and by metadata I mean my healthy and rich stool samples which are available for scientists to purchase for further study)
And by "available" you mean you have samples collected and sitting on your shelf waiting to be sent out?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 07:54 AM

I don't know if this will make it past the 'NN profanity filter, but my all time favorite is PublishIt
PublishIt.com Welcomes You!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 08:53 AM

I've always wondered what the rationale was behind this name. Not only does it not suggest anything about video (as is common with many other software titles), it just sounds unprofessional and kind of embarrassing to bring up. Is anybody else with me?

I can think of a worse one. MacPOS. AKA Mac Point of Sale

Their webpage is macpos.com...

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I don't know if this will make it past the 'NN profanity filter, but my all time favorite is PublishIt
PublishIt.com Welcomes You!
Ok it that one beat mine.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
And by "available" you mean you have samples collected and sitting on your shelf waiting to be sent out?
Besson3c and I use a Just-In-Time manufacturing philosophy to insure that every stool sample that is sent out is as fresh as it can be. By operating in this fashion, we can be more agile in meeting the needs of our customers while keeping our inventory low. All Stool Samples are made from genuine American* parts!

* = parts may be from any of our suppliers in North America, or South America, or China (once we get through annexing those godless communists...)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 09:23 AM

Stool samples do not belong in the Applications forum. And I don't think that discussing the name of an app is sufficiently technical either.

On the other hand, half the time programmers name apps (and we're typically a less than creative in the literary sense), and the other half of the time they're named by marketing people (and I use "people" in the most charitable manner possible here), so I think it's a wonder that any app gets a decent name in the first place.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 09:29 AM

I guess our goal now is to write a stool-sample CRM and Inventory tracking program, so that we can talk about it in the Applications Forum! Besson3c, get to work! I want it on my desk by Monday.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I guess our goal now is to write a stool-sample CRM and Inventory tracking program, so that we can talk about it in the Applications Forum! Besson3c, get to work! I want it on my desk by Monday.
Yes, and I think we also need to come up with a better marketing name... I know that I do *not* want us to be called Flip4Stools, because that would be plain dumb (although some people do flip when they use our product)

How about iSciStool?

Glen, if this wouldn't belong in the Applications forum, maybe we need a new forum devoted for our product similar to the Delicious Monster forum section?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 11:19 AM

Stool Handling International Tracking / Heuristics-Enabled Application Database.

(Noone can top that, you can lock this thread now!)

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 11:20 AM

People seem to like things that rhyme.. How about "Cool Stool Handling Bandling International Interfational Tracking Backing"?

That might be too long...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 11:25 AM

People seem to like things that rhyme.. How about "Cool Stool Handling Bandling International Interfational Tracking Backing"?

That might be too long...
Does CSHBIITB mean something in Canadian?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Does CSHBIITB mean something in Canadian?
No, does Stool Handling International Tracking / Heuristics-Enabled Application Database mean something in American?

Edit: yes it does

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 01:15 PM

Did you ever learn why Flip4Mac has that name?
Vandelay Industries

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 01:21 PM

Art: no... I suppose you'd like to rain on my tirade by explaining why?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 01:25 PM

Telestream has a whole line of Windows-based "Flip" video converters.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 01:35 PM

analogika beat me to it. Telestream, the parent company, has a line of "Flip" video software, known as "Flipware", for the Windows platform. So, Flip4Mac is short for "Flipware for Mac." A quick trip to their website reveals this.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2007, 01:40 PM

All of that stuff may be true, but I still think the name sounds dumb, so that's that, okay?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 01:41 PM

I think ffmpegx is a far worse program name.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 02:31 PM

Agreed.

I also think that the name Flip4Mac isn't NEARLY dumb enough to warrant wasting this entire thread on.

Please keep the lame threads to the Lounge, where they may safely be ignored.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 02:36 PM

Agreed (on that last point). Total Lounge thread.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 06:35 PM

The thread wasn't really that bad. It was about applications, and bad names. And I agree there are some doozies out there.

Sooperduper! or whatever it's called comes to mind too.

And while we are at it, Pacifist? WTF?

Just joking Charles

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The thread wasn't really that bad. It was about applications, and bad names. And I agree there are some doozies out there.

Sooperduper! or whatever it's called comes to mind too.

And while we are at it, Pacifist? WTF?

Just joking Charles
I always thought SuperDuper was incredibly lame and kind of boycotted it on that ground alone.

And I have to admit that I never got "Pacifist". Pac short for package or something?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
And I have to admit that I never got "Pacifist". Pac short for package or something?
The answer to this is in Pacifist's docs. Shame on you for not reading the documentation before asking questions!

Apple's installer uses a command-line tool named 'pax' to make the archive's payload. Additionally, the pre-Leopard packages used to have the payload as a file with extension .pax inside the .pkg's bundle. Pax is Latin for peace, so I made a pun out of it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
analogika beat me to it. Telestream, the parent company, has a line of "Flip" video software, known as "Flipware", for the Windows platform. So, Flip4Mac is short for "Flipware for Mac." A quick trip to their website reveals this.

That doesn't explain it very much though.... it's not the "4Mac" part that sounds so dumb, it's the "Flip" part. "Flipware" is just as dumb sounding. NOW explain it away!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 10:39 PM

The answer to this is in Pacifist's docs. Shame on you for not reading the documentation before asking questions!

Apple's installer uses a command-line tool named 'pax' to make the archive's payload. Additionally, the pre-Leopard packages used to have the payload as a file with extension .pax inside the .pkg's bundle. Pax is Latin for peace, so I made a pun out of it.
Thanks for that bit. And I am sure you read the white text.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 11:12 PM

And I'm sure you noticed that the post I was replying to didn't have any white text.

My reply was mostly in jest anyway, so no need to get upset.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 03:58 AM

Never mind Kevin, Charles - my question was genuine.

Thanks.

And I'm an old-school Mac user. I don't read manuals.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
And I'm an old-school Mac user. I don't read manuals.
Heh, I don't either. But I am very fond of nagging other people for not reading my manuals.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 07:13 AM

so no need to get upset.
No one got upset.

Forum Links
Forum Rules