Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > dfold scoring, how does it work?

dfold scoring, how does it work?
DAlex
Jul 24, 2003, 04:42 PM

I must have my 'captain thicky' head on today but, after having read the blurb on the project site, I'm still no clearer on how the points are awarded...

Anyone care to help me out

DAlex

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 09:42 PM

DAlex,

The first generation (10,000 structs) gets you 100 points. Period.

Each generation thereafter is 50 structs. This number remains constant. The calculation goes like this:

50 x sqrt(gen number) = points awarded

So at generation 4 it looks like this:

50 x sqrt(4) = 100 points

dfold rounds down the result. An entire run of 250 generations gets you 132,083 points. That is if my meager Excel skills don't completely suck.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2003, 10:05 PM

I got 132050 or 132187, depending on if I round the square root before or after I multiply by 50.
I'm curious which is right out of these 3, or if it's none of the above.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 10:18 PM

Jeff Gilchrist, the developer of the dfGUI application for Windows, calculates the total points for 250 generations as 132,083. It's indicated on the "Points" tab in his application. I arrived at the same number via Excel. I'm rounding after I multiply by 50. I think. Here's the formula I used in Excel.

=FLOOR((50 * SQRT(A1)), 1)

DAlex  (op)
Jul 26, 2003, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by enola:
Jeff Gilchrist, the developer of the dfGUI application for Windows, calculates the total points for 250 generations as 132,083. It's indicated on the "Points" tab in his application. I arrived at the same number via Excel. I'm rounding after I multiply by 50. I think. Here's the formula I used in Excel.

=FLOOR((50 * SQRT(A1)), 1)
Thanks, I've never been accused of being good at maths and, ahem, I didn't twig that sqrt meant squareroot! DOH! Definitely had 'captain thicky' head on for that one.

Cheers

Aydon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by DAlex:
I didn't twig that sqrt meant squareroot!
I know *exactly* what you thought "sqrt" meant, you DIRTY man!

DAlex  (op)
Jul 29, 2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Aydon:
I know *exactly* what you thought "sqrt" meant, you DIRTY man!
Thwarrrpppp (thats the sound of a long, loud raspberry in your direction you sick puppy! )

To other team members, please say hello to my buddy Aydon, devoted PC user but kind lender of machines for occasional power boosting

DAlex

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 07:53 AM

How do I find the overall user rankings within the dfold project? Is there one large master list or project stats page for the whole thing?

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
How do I find the overall user rankings within the dfold project? Is there one large master list or project stats page for the whole thing?
The official distributed folding site doesn't seem to have one (just the top tens, etc).

But you can list all users on Dyyryath's Arachnid Stats.

Disclaimer: It should of course be noted that apart from said feature, the aformentioned stats pages are vastly inferior to reader50's work of genius that is the Team MacNN stats

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by wulf:
The official distributed folding site doesn't seem to have one (just the top tens, etc).

But you can list all users on Dyyryath's Arachnid Stats.

Disclaimer: It should of course be noted that apart from said feature, the aformentioned stats pages are vastly inferior to reader50's work of genius that is the Team MacNN stats
Not as impressive as Team MacNN, but still, extremely nice for what it does do! One thing I did like about their page a lot, it was FAST! Every link came up real fast, even the complex pulls with lots of users.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
Not as impressive as Team MacNN, but still, extremely nice for what it does do! One thing I did like about their page a lot, it was FAST! Every link came up real fast, even the complex pulls with lots of users.
Speed is high on the list of things to be worked on for teamstats.
It has two components, server equipment, and the code itself. More should be posted about upcoming changes soon.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules