Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fan or hard drive noise.

Fan or hard drive noise.
foolintherain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 09:15 PM

My iBook has been making some funny whizzing noises lately. It is almost new, bought in December 2004. The noises happen randomly and it sounds like the fan is on full blast, but the noise is coming from under the keyboard and it is very loud. The temperature of my computer, from ThermoinDock, is around 58 degrees C when the noise starts and is around the same when it stops. Could this be the hard drive dying or is my fan going crazy.
14" iBook
1.33 GHz 1.25 GB RAM 60 GB HD Airport Extreme-3G 10GB iPod-1 GB iPod shuffle-Airport Express

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 02:39 AM

What kind of programs were you runing while it happened and is happening?

foolintherain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 07:21 AM

I was running Safari, Adium, Mail, and iTunes.
14" iBook
1.33 GHz 1.25 GB RAM 60 GB HD Airport Extreme-3G 10GB iPod-1 GB iPod shuffle-Airport Express

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 12:13 PM

Ummm, yeah, that doesn't sound like to much at all... many be your disc is corrupting... I recomend Disk Utility. (Mac. HD> Apps.> Utilities> Disk Utility> select the japaneseish word in the list on the left. Then go to the "First Aid" tab, then click "Repair Disk Premissions" (down at the lower right corner). If this doen't work than there could be some thing really wrong.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2005, 05:09 PM

I had a similar problem the first week I had my iBook.... I would bring it to work to use as a jukebox, only running iTunes, and after about an hour, the fan would start spinning, and keep going for about an hour.

this lasted a couple days, then it stopped. It could be a HD issue, but it could just be the fan acting weird. Its been known to happen on Apple's.

Is there an Apple store nearby that you can take it to?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 06:56 PM

It's most likely the fan. I mean, does it sound like a small fan?

foolintherain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 09:51 PM

It sort of sounds like a fan, but a really scratchy one. It sounds to rough to be a fan. It is so loud the keyboard actually vibrates from it. It also happens at very random intervals, but mostly when it is idle and just sitting there. I usually go downstairs for a drink and come back upstairs like 10 minutes later and the thing is loud. I hope its just the fan.
14" iBook

aleksteph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 08:19 AM

It started randomly at the beginning but now it is almost all the time...
But never first 15 min when I switch on the computer (which makes me think
that it is the cooling system)...
I have noticed that it stops when you close the computer (as that sends it to sleep).

Forum Links
Forum Rules