Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Oh joy: MacBook starts making hard drive 'clunk' sounds

Oh joy: MacBook starts making hard drive 'clunk' sounds
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 06:17 PM

So I turned my MB on tonight, and I noticed a sort of clunk sound after a few minutes of use. Its now happening every 30-60 seconds . This has definatly only started tonight. I can't be something I've done as far as battering the book around, as I take immense care over my laptop, and besides, it has barely been out the house since I have had it.

If I ring Apple and say 'ooo, my HD has just started making noises', will they try to blame it on me and say that its my fault, I must have bashed it around and buggered the HD? Or will they do something about it?

This is rather frustrating!!!!

Luckily I don't have to worry about loosing any data though, as there's barely any on my MB atm.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 06:32 PM

I don't know how far you are from the nearest Apple Store, but if it's within reach, I'd recommend going there and tell them specifically what happened - be honest.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2006, 08:10 PM

It sort of depends on the kind of clunking you're talking about, but since you say it started suddenly, it does sound like it could be a sign of an impending hard disk crash. They're not going to blame you if that does happen. I had a hard disk die within warranty on my 12" PB and they replaced it with no problems.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 05:04 AM

Hmmm, this is odd, turned on my MB this morning, and its not making the noises...

I still have suspision there is something wrong though. Besides, I was planning to ring Apple about the immense heat (which, by looking at a thread I started, is particually bad on my machine), as well as the 'moo', the sizziling power adaptor and the flickering screen at lowest brigtness.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Hmmm, this is odd, turned on my MB this morning, and its not making the noises...

I still have suspision there is something wrong though. Besides, I was planning to ring Apple about the immense heat (which, by looking at a thread I started, is particually bad on my machine), as well as the 'moo', the sizziling power adaptor and the flickering screen at lowest brigtness.
You've gave me some crap I think about my issues with my computers, I'm not sure....there have been alot of people. Granted, it was rediculous, I had 13 and trust me I understand that's out of control. But I feel alot of people, and as I recall, you included, were pretty harsh.

However, I feel your pain about the issues with the machine. They're new...and that's what I came to realize. I thought I'd find the right one. For me, right now, there might not be...but I recommend you fight until YOU find what's right for you.

I'm trying to be civil and nice to you after the comments you made, but I am loyal in what I believe and if you have issues with your computer, take care of them and speak up...don't just post a thread about it. Actually "ring" Apple.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 05:32 AM

Nope, I am afraid you got that one wrong, I have not posted any crap towards you. I checked all the threads you posted in, and the only one where I can see I commented was when you said you had issues with your 2nd MB, where I said 'Take it back, its unacceptable' or something like that. So you have got me confused with someone else.

Anyway, I am going to ring Apple today, and hold out for a replacement. Unfortunatly, the machine is just about 2-3 weeks old, which means its out of the normal 'swap-over' period where they will just give you a new machine. However I have issues that are technically unsolvable (like the moo and whine etc).

I might even throw in a white lie saying I have been on holiday and I have only been back under a week, so I would not have known about the issues etc (some may see it as imoral, but I see it as a harmless fib to get what I want, and rightfully should be given!)

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 06:26 AM

Not imoral at all. I mean, not the best way maybe, but you have to take care of yourself. You have to feel so good about the purchase you make that 7 months down the road, when you open up your macbook, you still feel the same about it the first night you got it. Go for it...
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 07:57 AM

Well I rang tech support, and they wanted to repair it. I said no, so they said talk to sales. I talked to the sales department, and the nice lady said that it was not a problem, they would make an exception to the 1 week replacement period, and she would get a replacement order set up right away.

i'd like to see that kind of service with dell

Just a note though, Apple UK really should move tech support to England - I really could barely understand this guy I spoke to! The woman from sales was based in the UK, which was much better, but I can't help but think the only reason for this is so not to piss off buyers when phone ordering, and once they have the money, then its off to India for support...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 01:28 PM

The cluking sound might be normal. An old laptop of mine was doing this, until I realized that it's a common occurance on some laptop hard drives.

The clunking is just the head parking itself, but it doesn't always do it the same way.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 01:46 PM

Oh right, well the thing that got me was that in 2 weeks of having the laptop, last night was definatly the 1st time it made that noise - it makes other clunky noises, but I know thats the heads parking, its much quieter, and my iBook G4 did it too.

Oh well, better to be safe than sorry, so I'll go ahead with the new one (and hopefully that won't have any issues this one doesn't have, like dead pixels and a loud whine, an hopefully it impoves uppon my current so far as heat and moo is concerned)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 08:46 PM

harrisjamieh, you also reported having quite a few kernal panics, and they are often hardware related. For instance, I've never had a single kernal panic on my Mini in 8 months of daily usage, and I would say they are generally very rare.

So I would definately recommend having it looked at. Have you checked out what disk utility says about the hard disk?

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
harrisjamieh, you also reported having quite a few kernal panics, and they are often hardware related. For instance, I've never had a single kernal panic on my Mini in 8 months of daily usage, and I would say they are generally very rare.

So I would definately recommend having it looked at. Have you checked out what disk utility says about the hard disk?
Disc utility says the HD is fine, but as I said above, Apple have already agreed to replace the machine. They actually wanted to repair it, and I said they couldn't, 1) because its a 2 weeks old machine and shouldn't need repairing, and 2) I know for a fact that the won't be able to fix the heat problem which some machines are inherintly worse than others with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules