Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook: Noticing high power consumption when sleeping

MacBook: Noticing high power consumption when sleeping
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 01:08 PM

When I had my iBook G4, I could sleep it over night, wake it up in the morning, and it would have lost, say, 3% of the overall battery.

With the MacBook, if I put it to sleep for similar periods of time, it can lose up to 13% of its battery....

anyone else notice this?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

bo989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 06:08 PM

How are you putting it to sleep? Closing the lid or just waiting for it to go to sleep on its own?

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 01:49 AM

Closing the lid
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 05:18 AM

The Macbook is like 5x faster and more powerful then the older iBook is replaces yet people expect it to draw less power? I dont get the Macbook people!!
iMac G4 / Macbook

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 06:49 AM

I didn't say whilst using it!!! I mean under sleep mode - there is no reason it should use any more power than any other previous laptop machine....

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 07:23 AM

Well it is a new CHIP with a new architecture, so I would assume from Apples past that battery life and optimized sleeping and such will be improved over time. It seems as though you first adopters are just looking for problems in the new Macs every time.

Just use the thing!
iMac G4 / Macbook

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 07:26 AM

I agree, the machine wastes batery life while sleeping and it should be that way. Another thing I noticed is that you shouldn't keep your Macbook on while inside the carrying bag. I did it once and I found the computer crashed due to overheating, very weird.

My old rev tiPB didn't give me these kind of problems.

Still the Macbook is a killer mchine I think these problems are OS related.

Carlos
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 07:31 AM

I think I can sum it up with...First adopters will always find the quirks, and Apple will fix them all in time. 2nd revision will be smooth
iMac G4 / Macbook

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cenutrio
I agree, the machine wastes batery life while sleeping and it should be that way. Another thing I noticed is that you shouldn't keep your Macbook on while inside the carrying bag. I did it once and I found the computer crashed due to overheating, very weird.
I carry a MacBook around all the time without it waking from sleep. Is something causing the latch to open?

Forum Links
Forum Rules