Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple ships 1.2mil Macs 6 mil iPods $320 mil profit

Apple ships 1.2mil Macs 6 mil iPods $320 mil profit
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 07:17 PM

Well NN decided to eat Eug's post but here is the headline.

Press Release
CUPERTINO, California—July 13, 2005—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2005 third quarter ended June 25, 2005, reporting the highest revenue and earnings in the Company’s history. Apple posted a net quarterly profit of $320 million, or $.37 per diluted share, and revenue of $3.52 billion. These results compare to a net profit of $61 million, or $.08 per diluted share, and revenue of $2.01 billion in the year-ago quarter, and represent revenue growth of 75 percent and net profit growth of 425 percent. Gross margin was 29.7 percent, up from 27.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 39 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple shipped 1,182,000 Macintosh® units and 6,155,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 35 percent growth in Macs and 616 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

“We are delighted to report Apple’s best quarter ever in both revenue and earnings,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The launch of Mac OS X Tiger has been a tremendous success, and we have more amazing new products in the pipeline.”

“We’re very pleased to report 75 percent revenue growth and a 425 percent increase in net income,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “Looking ahead to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2005, we expect revenue of about $3.5 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $.32.”
The talking money heads are calling this Apples best quarter ever. Also while it has only been a month since the intel announcement it appears to have made no impact on mac sales at all as they were up still up 35%.

So Macs are up, iPods are still up, things are going well in Cupertino.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 07:18 PM

Way to go Apple!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 07:44 PM

I thought there would be a minimum of a dip in Mac sales considering the Intel switch.

Awesome!

juanvaldes  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I thought there would be a minimum of a dip in Mac sales considering the Intel switch.

Awesome!
Thats what all the tech people thought but we have to remember even with the small share apple has (thus IMO overall more aware customers) people who follow tech make up a insignificant percentage.

Next quarter will tell the real story though, who knows maybe they made all those sales before the intel announcement. I have to say though virtually every mac in the current line is old and stale, I'm amazed they did so well without any product updates.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 14, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I think most people on the street who walk into an Apple store don't know or care. It's only us hardcore give us a 10ghz Power Mac guys who throw arms up.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 08:32 PM

so how many ipods is that so far? is it up to 20 mil?

go apple go

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 14, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee

go apple go
22-25.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 15, 2005, 12:03 AM

I predicted the announcement wouldn't be this positive. I thus predicted the investors would do the usual "sell on news", and AAPL would go down. So I didn't buy the stock before the announcement.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 12:24 AM

go apple go
Apple said it was 20 million.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 12:33 AM

Great going Apple All that hard work is starting to pay off.

I think once they start migrating to intel, sales will start skyrocketing. I compare it to when the iPod and iTunes came out for Windows. Everyone wants it.

Good times coming to Apple

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 02:50 PM

They should buy amd with all that monay they make these days!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 03:25 PM

Apple is doomed!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 09:01 PM

souldn't we see the mac os gain marketshare? even of it's .5

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 09:14 PM

It's hard, though not impossible, to gain marketshare when your competitors sell more computers than you.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 09:17 PM

Depends on the total number of computers sold.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 10:19 PM

Inorder to gain marketshare in any one quarter, Apple will have to sell more computers(with MacOS) thank all it's competitors combined. Not an easy task....thats whats confined the Mac to a dwindelling market share.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 15, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Inorder to gain marketshare in any one quarter, Apple will have to sell more computers(with MacOS) thank all it's competitors combined.
Uh, no.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 10:56 PM

For example:

Let's simplify the world down a little bit:

PCs: 9900
Macs: 100

Mac marketshare would be a mere 1%.

All that Apple would need to do to increase marketshare is satisfy this equation:

CurrentApples/(CurrentApples + Current PCs) < (CurrentApples + NewApples)/(CurrentApples + Current PCs + NewPCs + NewApples)

i.e.

100/(9900 + 100) < (100 + NA)/(100+ 9900 + NP + NA)

.01 < (100 + NA)/(10000 + NP + NA)

100 + .01NP + .01NA < 100 + NA
.01NP < .99NA
NP/99 < NA

So if there were 990 new computers sold, for apple to gain marketshare, it would need to only sell more than 10 computers!

Why shouldn't this be surprising? Because all you have to do to increase your marketshare is sell more as a percent of the sales of the current quarter. So if you current marketshare is x%, you have y% marketshare in sales for the quarter, and y>x, your marketshare automatically goes up!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Uh, no.
Oh yeah...my bad.

Talking percentages.....

Assuming Apple's market share is 5%, and wintel is 95%, then...
for Apple to increase market share the following quarter,
of all comupters sold that quarter(Mac + wintel = 100%), Mac sales should account for more than 5%.

If Mac sales account for less than 5%(or whatever the mac market share is) of all computers sold during any interval of time, Mac market share goes down.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 16, 2005 at 01:41 AM. )

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 02:00 AM

Wait... you mean Apple sells things OTHER then iPods? Dude, when did they start doing this?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 02:47 AM

iono
.... josh ... like ... a WHILE ago...

i'm still jonesing over my ipod SOCKS! lol

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

michaeljohn63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 09:31 AM

According to the actual quotes I read in an article linked on MacNN's main page, Apple's Macintosh unit sales growth significantly exceeded overal PC unit sales growth. That necessarily means that the Mac marketshare was greater this past quarter than it had been. By how much, I can't say. but I'd say its quite a bit (because Apple's marketshare right now is so small, a relatively small number of unit sales growth can have a big impact on Apple's marketshare).

I do know this. Apple sold roughly 1.2 million Macs last quarter. For several previous years, Apple had been selling 750K to 850K computers per quarter. So, last quarter amounted to something like a 50% plus gain in unit sales over the same quarter last year, and a 30% plus gain over the previous quarter. There is NO WAY overal PC unit sales growth came close to that. I think PC unit sales growth was in the 5-10% range. If true, then last quarter, Mac sales accounted for 20-25% more of the total. Thus, if Mac marketshare had been 3%, it is now somewhere between 3.75 and 4%. Not much, but every bit helps, and you gotta start somewhere.

My continuing hope for Mac sales is less related to Marketshare, but more related to total sales, to spur software development on our platform. So, I'd like to see Mac sales reach and hover around 10 million Macs per year, which I think would put Macs in about an 8 or 9% Marketshare. More than that, and I'd worry that Apple would be so big, someone would buy them, and destroy our "little" community. Less than that, and software development stagnates or withers eventually.
[FONT=Garamond]Imagine no religion.[/FONT]

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 06:56 AM

Rumour has it that half of the iPods sold were Shuffles; i.e. the demand for HD mp3 players is starting to wane.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 04:01 PM

10 million macs per year would be fine. Currently, how many have they sold per year? Have they ever moved 5 million per year?

What they should do is put some version of OS X onto the iPod. You get people hooked on the OS which make the move to the computer easier.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2005, 04:17 PM

Sure. OS X on a Shuffle would definitely get people hooked to the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules