Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Playstation 2 vs Nintendo GameCube

Playstation 2 vs Nintendo GameCube
ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 12:12 AM

I know this subject has been discussed before, but i need feedback.

I am going to buy one of this consoles soon, and i'd like to hear comments from owners of both.
Specially i am interested in knowing about which one has the best quality graphics, and since both consoles are different in architecture that is hard to understand being based on the tech specs.

Anyone has been able to compare the same or similar games in both consoles, like FIFA 2001? does it look better in the PS2 or the GC??

The DVD player in the PS2 is not much of an advantage for me, since i can watch DVD perfectly in my Pismo.
And regarding games, i am pretty sure both consoles have great games that can make me enjoy whichever one i decide to buy (MGS2 for the PS and RS2 or the upcoming Mario Sunshine for the GameCube, for instance.)

One other thing i would want to understand is the following:
Some people claim the the PS2 can have greater quality games, since the DVD capacity is 4,6GB and the GameCube mini DVDs is *only* 1,5GB. But i know that only some PS2 games comes in DVD ROM format while a whole bunch still use CD ROM. What's the deal with that?
- DVD ROM games for the PS2 can be better in graphics than the mini DVD games of the GameCube?

- CD ROM Games for the PS2 are inferior in quality than the GameCube ones?

Well, that's all folks. I'll appreciate comments regarding both consoles in order to make the right choise and buy the best one!
Thaks!

...And a PS.: Don't even mention the stinkin' X Box, cos' I'm aint' buying that shite.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 12:35 AM

Graphics wise I would have to say GameCube. The games now for the GC are pretty comparable to the PS2, and since the true power of a console usually isn't reached until a year or two after the console's release. So in about a year I think the GC's graphics will be a fair amount better than the PS2.

When it comes to the whole DVD v. Mini-CD I think that is a bunch of BS. Most games don't take up the entire DVD and if a developer writes a game with really awesome graphics that would take more than the Mini-CD could offer they would just make it a multi-disc game.

However, I think you should base your decision on games. What kinda games do you like the most? If you're a big Mario/Zelda fanatic like myself go with the GC. If you more of a Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy person go with the PS2.

Hope this helps. Have fun with which ever console you get. I can't wait 'til I can scrap up enough for my GameCube

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2001, 12:39 AM

I agree. The Cube will have better graphics, as it is a more powerful system. However, a lot of games will be made for the PS2 first and then ported over to the Cube. Games like SSX Tricky and Tony Hawk 3 are better on the PS2 (only slightly) because they were built from the ground up for it. This may change later when developers get more practice with the GameCube.

I'd say get a Cube if you are more interested in Nintendos awesome first and second party exclusive games. And get a PS2 if you want to take advantage of their huge library and DVD player.

(I choose the Cube, but I will buy a PS2 sometime in the future, both are wise choices...)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2001, 01:02 AM

I got the PS2 right now and will be getting a GC soon, so I can't tell you my final reaction yet... but I was not that impressed with the PS2. Much like the PS1, there are a lot of games for it, but not very many quality ones (though definitely better than the PS1). I've played a lot of them and they just don't seem to be as exciting or original as the GC games - Pikmin, Super Monkey ball... (to be Released) metroid or Mario kart. I like games that are fun to play in groups, etc, and PS2 seems to be marketed towards violence and dark imagery. Don't get me wrong, that can be cool, but where are the stupid (yet fun) games like Mario golf??

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by mchladek:
<STRONG>What kinda games do you like the most? If you're a big Mario/Zelda fanatic like myself go with the GC. If you more of a Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy person go with the PS2.
</STRONG>
Damn! that's my BIG problem!
I really loved Metal Gear Solid, and I know MGS2 is awesome. But in the other hand, i loved as much, Mario 64, and the upcoming Mario Sunshine is absolutely STUNNING (have anyone seen this clip?? )

If only Konami announce it will make MGS2 for the GameCube, my decision would be made!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: ARENA ]

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2001, 02:57 AM

I was so looking forward to MGS2. Actually, MGS was the first game I bought for the PS2 (and one of the best... ) I have been a huge MG fan since the original. Anyway, I heard the new one is a little short... as in I was told to rent it and not buy it (by a store employee whom I knew as I was walking towards the cash register... and yes, he was pushing the PS2 hard on people). I haven't made up my mind (I wasn't going to buy it now no matter what since this semester is rather difficult), but I guess I will rent first before I buy, just in case....

Don't take this as gospel. I HAVE NOT played it. But still...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2001, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
<STRONG> However, a lot of games will be made for the PS2 first and then ported over to the Cube. Games like SSX Tricky and Tony Hawk 3 are better on the PS2 (only slightly) because they were built from the ground up for it. This may change later when developers get more practice with the GameCube.</STRONG>
Not quite...the developer of Tony Hawk 3 said that since they did the PS2 one first when they went back to port it to the GC they were able to fix some bugs, speed up the engine and all around make the game (slightly) better.

So the inverse is true.

Also, now that all of the systems are out, I would not be surprised if they worked toward the goal of simultaneous release for all systems.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

marusin
Senior User
Dec 14, 2001, 11:45 AM

I've been perplexed (is that the right word?) with the same question.. I opted to go with the Playstation 2. This is why. The original list of games that I wanted to get are as follows:

- SSX Tricky (Both PS2 & GC)
- FIFA 2002 (Both PS2 & GC)

Then I started thinking and realized that I really want to pick up Gran Turismo 3 (I fell in love with the game at Best Buy playing it on the demo PS2) and Grand Theft Auto 3 (read a lot about it)... With those additional games and the idea that I'll put this console in a den (which would be nice to play DVDs on as well), I opted for the PS2.. Still haven't gotten it (have to wait for "Santa" to come)..

The Game Cube really intrigues me, though. Once the Mario games come out and Zelda & Metroid, I will think about picking up a GameCube. I personally have an original PlayStation & Nintendo 64 sitting next to each other and don't feel bad...

I guess if it wasn't for me playing GT3 that day, I'd be wanting a GameCube for Christmas.. Now, the day Mario Golf 2 comes out for the GameCube, I'll camp out for one!

-Mike

Myrkridia
Senior User
Dec 14, 2001, 01:36 PM

I went an bought a ps2 (big mistake) the games are good GTA3, Metal gear.
But the graphics just aren't that impressive for a next gen system. There are still clipping and fade in problems in gta3 at one point I found my self driving on air before the system finally drew in the road. (of course it was only like .75 secs but still hard not to notice) Luigi's mansion, pikmin, and super monkey ball may look colorful and kiddyish, but they are very addicting, and the graphics are unbelievable. ALmost everything in the background can be manipulated in Luigi's mansion. I say GCN is the best gamble. If you have friends that come over alot or bros and sisters then Super Monkey ball will be more enjoyable to play with 2+ players, sure the first adult title "Eternal Darkness" won't be out till some time in Feb. but unlike sony, Nintendo keeps things back longer to refine and work out the lil bugs and glitches. ps2 will be more worth it if you have a dvd burner, and a mod-chip then you can "back-up" all your favorite games. Whatever choice you make, make it quick, cuz when Xmas gets here you may find youself not having any of the next gen systems, till some time after New Years.

"Software piracy is a crime"

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 14, 2001, 01:47 PM

graphically, the GC is supposed to be better (having been released after the PS2 and all). i'll agree with what the above poster said: if you enjoy multiplayer games with your friends, go for the GC. i recently bought Super Smash Bros. Melee and it's tons of fun. lots of Nintendo characters, battling it out, massive movement on screen, explosions, combos, shooting Peach in the face with a laser, ...good stuff.

{edit}
the only multiplayer game(3+ players) i ever played on my PS1 was NHL98. a fun game, but the time spent playing on that doesn't get anywhere near my time spent on Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, etc..
one of my housemates bought a PS2, so i get the best of both worlds. i can play MGS2 but i didn't have to buy the system . of course, he didn't buy MGS2, but that's beside the point.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 05:03 PM

Like others have said, it's all about the games. I have a PSX and an N64, but I didn't buy either until there was a must-have game (Resident Evil for the PSX and Zelda:Ocarina for the N64) out. I still don't have a next-gen system, but MGS is tempting me fiercly at the moment.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2001, 08:03 PM

Wow, that Mario demo is amazing. I've always been a big fan of Nintendo's in-house games. I already have a PS2. It's great, but not a GameCube. I will want to play Zelda and Mario, and the PS2 won't deliver that. Besides, did you know that Sega is making Sonic games for the 'Cube? All the more reason to buy it! I'll definitely be camping out to get that Mario game. Wow.

eep!
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 08:46 PM

if i were buying now, i'd go for the ps2 just because you've got a wider range of games (and so more chance of finding good ones) if i was buying in three months i'd probably go for the gamecube because the ps2 will probably get replaced sooner.
*for context i bought a ps2 god knows how long ago...

re: clipping and pop-up, ever think this may be a programming thing? i mean, play Z.O.E. on ps2: no clipping (as far as i could tell) and little pop up (again, as far as i could see) then go play crazy taxi also on ps2, wow, i was so glad i rented it rather than bought, the buildings rarely appear in the distance ( no sir! they wait until you crash into them)

note: i may have slightly exagerated with the above statement.

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2001, 09:02 PM

I can't believe that Mario demo clip. Holy sh!tballs!!

I find the Nintendo games much more fun and have massively higher replay value. For me, that is.

PS seems like mostly head to head fighting and racing games. Neither are my bag. The nintendo games have so much personality and are just plain goofy and fun as well as highly addictive. Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Twooie, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark. I absolutely NEVER get tired of playing those games. Looks like the GC games will take that even one step further.

Also, maybe i'm wrong, don't most PS games also come out for PC? I almost bought a PSOne to play Final Fantasy VII until I saw it on a PC. The graphics can't compare. If there is a PC version, it will almost always kick a console version's ass in graphics and interface (saving and game management).

Just depends on what you play, my friend.
It's wise to know who wrote the music to which we dance.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 09:35 PM

Anyone care to mention the new console on the street. What are x-box's prospects. I've seen a couple of demos on it. Some cell shaded game, and a fighter. They lookd quite good. Possibly the best of the three. But that isn't everything.

A note on the PS2. Is it really the least powerful, or did they just screw up the video output (the whole interlaceing thing). I remember reading that the PS2 is in some aspects the most powerful of the next gen systems. Apparently it has huge theoretical throughput through a massively parallel design. A design they botched by giving it only 4MB of video cache. Supposedly, you could make the thing do some pretty impressive feats if you could use all it's parallel power, but it's layed out in a very unfamiliar way, and it needed more RAM! Something about most games only using one of the vector units, and designers not being used to using the general purpose registers of the PS2's CPU. I read a interview/review about "Jaxter and Dax" (a game by, I think, the former "Crash" people) that said the graphics and gameplay engine are leagues better than anything else on PS2. The lead designer said the improvement owed a lot to re-writing their coding (he wouldn't say the Sony libraries sucked ass, but he kinda implied it -- at every mention of standout features of one kind or another, the response was that they wrote and re-wrote their own custom code, and that only now do they feel certain design methodologies are properly sorted.) I wonder how 'real' this improvement actually is? Is this game out yet? Has anyone seen it? I'd like to compare it to top GameCube and xBox titles.

Seems both Nintendo and M$ got the formula right from a developers standpoint. Simplicity, and/or familiarity. It might also mean that the games are much closer to their optimum design/performance (even in 1st gen games) and we can't expect them to get much better, though they're still awfully good.

Also doesn't seem likely that 3 consoles will survive in the market for more than two years. Look at Saturn, and Dreamcast. PS2 supposedly has 6million units in NA, and 25 million worldwide -- a substantial head start. Gamecube and xBox report strong sales, but with less than two weeks untill Christmas, I can still find them available at the major retailers. You couldn't do that with a PS2 last year. Do you think any of the consoles will die, and if so, which one? And why or why not?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2001, 10:54 PM

Bah! Who needs the XBox? No really. Nintendo has the games I want to play, Nintendo has always had the games I want to play. I will get a Nintendo. The Xbox games are just... games. I only am interested in Halo, which should be out for computer at some point. The GC will have Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, Metroid (!!!!), and even Pokemon. My brother made an astute observation about the N64. No matter how stupid it sounds, if you get a game with Mario in it (even those developed by other parties, like Mario Golf), it is going to be fun. He was right. We got a whole shitload of cheap N64 games, and those always ruled. Nintendo makes fun games.

Yeah, I heard that about the PS2. Unfortunately, I think the other two really do have better hardware now, even considering the potential of the PS2's massive memory bandwidth - it doesn't need much memory because as soon as you want something new in the memory, it is there... something like 3.2 Gb/s I thought.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2001, 02:11 PM

And don't forget Mario Tennis, one of my personal favorite Mario games!

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 02:37 PM

Thanks to all for the comments so far.
After reading all the posts, doing more research, and watching that awesome "Mario Sunshine" clip a few times a day i think i am fully convinced, and i will be getting the GameCube.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>Also doesn't seem likely that 3 consoles will survive in the market for more than two years. Look at Saturn, and Dreamcast. PS2 supposedly has 6million units in NA, and 25 million worldwide -- a substantial head start. Gamecube and xBox report strong sales, but with less than two weeks untill Christmas, I can still find them available at the major retailers. You couldn't do that with a PS2 last year. Do you think any of the consoles will die, and if so, which one? And why or why not?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]</STRONG>
So, Sega failed with the Saturn, and then with the Dreamcast. They are nowhere near the size of Nintendo or Sony especially M$. All of these company's have the deep pockets to stay in this game for a few generations each. That is why they dropped out and decided to go strictly games like Atari did. And I think they will do much better for it. M$ has taken their place as 3ed runner up. I happen to think this is a good thing for me too, now I don't need to buy Sega's system to get their awesome games!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 04:33 PM

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 05:10 PM

Ort, haha

Juan, hmmm... Perhaps 3 consoles will survive, but I doubt they will all have international success. I think it more likely that one of the consoles will be the world leader (but not neccessarily first in every market) and each of the other two will dominate one rather large market (US/Japan/UK/Europe), be second in another, and a bit player in the rest.

Take PS2, with a nice large Japanese base and **lots** of japination style RPGs in the pipe. They also have a big US base, but are only now getting really A-list titles. Probably will remain first in Japan.

Nintendo, has a children/first party niche which ought to play well in general in all markets and might let it run a close second in Japan.

M$ is expensive, too American, and probably too late to do anything in Japan. They'll sell systems in Japan because enough curious gamers will buy it, but they'll be third, maybe even a distant third. Sony kinda botched Europe and UK markets, so there's a window for the other two there. It looks like M$ is getting the games, but if they're going to dominate anything, they'll have to be first in the US. I wonder. A 6 million unit head start for Sony, and neary a price drop in sight; a cheaper GameCube, which by some accounts seems to be selling better right now; and the possibility that Sony will drop prices in 2002. If so, I wonder if M$ could afford to get into a price war. Yes, they're M$ so they can pretty much afford anything, but will they want to? Then again PS2 is a complicated little box, it may not have any room for any price drops in 2002.

What do you think, who'll be 1st, 2nd, 3rd on a market by market breakdown?

eep!
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 06:58 PM

matsu, how did sony botch the uk and euro markets? i haven't noticed any botching...

djkimothy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2001, 10:40 PM

PS2 has the games I want. Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tony Hawk 3 and maybe FFX and XI.

But then GC has that cool star wars game.

Oy, I hope santa is in a generous mood. Can't go wrong with either system, but i'm partial to the ps2.

And in terms of replay value, I'm still playing Gran Turismo 2 and Metal gear solid 1 as if it came out last week. It's fun fun fun to race a real life car with decent physics. Gran turismo 3 is absolutely amazing. But again, I'm partial because I love cars.

My advice is to try both out in store demos and see which one floats your boat the best.

djk

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by djkimothy:
<STRONG>PS2 has the games I want. Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tony Hawk 3 and maybe FFX and XI.
</STRONG>
Not to be nit picky but TH3 is out for GC, and a tweaked version of 2 is out for the XBox.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 12:58 AM

Will we ever see some Gran-Turismo-like game for the GameCube?
Or any realistic car game?

...At this point, I am decided for the GameCube, so it would be nice to know if some game like that will be released someday.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 03:01 AM

<STRONG>http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-12-14</STRONG>
lol! hehe so true.

-Owl

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 03:08 AM

eep,

PS2 was proportionally more expensive in the UK and in different Euro countries. They've (only recently) lowered the price to the equivalent of the US price. Unit sales could have been stronger (they weren't bad) in the UK and Europe is prices had been equal to the US prices and availability had been better from the outset. It was hardly a first class pooch screwing, but they should have done better for their Euro and UK customers.

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 05:42 AM

go gamecube.

having spent the last week and a half playing fifa 2002 on both ps2 and gc, i can say without question that by about 15 people`s opinion, the gc looks and handles slightly better (it`s not that big a deal, unless you play both, but once you get really used to the game, you notice the changes much more...)

also... god, the new rogue squadron game is going to be ILL!
and there`s always rare, which will kick out the best games ever for nintendo... thing is, nintendo just has better games... i mean, look at what they were doing with the n64?! did you play perfect dark?! insanity, i tell you.

sure, i lust after mgs2, but... once they got tony hawk three, there`s really no question for me... plus ssx... almost everything i ever need is on the gc... and i love it!

highest recommendation... only things i want are mgs2 and final fantasy x.
but both i can live without because i gain so much from rogue squadron/mario/rare...

words to think on...

pcat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 16, 2001, 06:30 AM

PS2:

Reason? You can't get good games for any nintendo system. You can get GAMES, but you cannot get "Epics" or "Simulations". I consider myself a more mature gamer, and I like games that have HUGE levels, impressive graphics, awsome scores and in depth everyhing. I like DEEP. Gamecube doesn't offer that, it offers crisp graphics and happy gay super awesome games. YAY! Gamecube! Woo! I wanna play the angry sad ghost and then maybe Turtle Wurtle!

PS2 just has COOLER games. From Metal Gear2 to Gran Turismo, from Silent Hill to Grand Theft Auto, from Bond to Tony Hawk 3, all of them are for an OLDER audience, not the happy goofy super wacky crowd of nintendo fans.

Also, the DVD player in the PS2 rules.

- Ca$h

nana2
Senior User
Dec 16, 2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by knifecarrier:
<STRONG>PS2:

Reason? You can't get good games for any nintendo system. You can get GAMES, but you cannot get "Epics" or "Simulations". I consider myself a more mature gamer, and I like games that have HUGE levels, impressive graphics, awsome scores and in depth everyhing. I like DEEP. Gamecube doesn't offer that, it offers crisp graphics and happy gay super awesome games. YAY! Gamecube! Woo! I wanna play the angry sad ghost and then maybe Turtle Wurtle!

PS2 just has COOLER games. From Metal Gear2 to Gran Turismo, from Silent Hill to Grand Theft Auto, from Bond to Tony Hawk 3, all of them are for an OLDER audience, not the happy goofy super wacky crowd of nintendo fans.

Also, the DVD player in the PS2 rules.

- Ca$h</STRONG>
Amen brother! I wonder how old many of the posters in this thread are, if not in actual age, in mental age

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 12:11 PM

<STRONG>http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-12-14</STRONG>
ROFLMAO!

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 01:16 PM

Regarding the topic, I'll probably get the GC.

It s a personal choice you see. I really would like all the games on the PS2 (GTA3, GT3, etc.). But the GC does appear to have better graphics, even if they are a bit cartoonish. Plus, I really don't buy a lot of games. I usually just buy a couple that I enjoy playing a lot. Between Zelda, Metroid, Mario Sunshine (phat clip!), etc. I should be contented. Besides, being out of a job soon, the $100 I save prety much makes the choice for me. And the xBox, yeah it looks awesome and I want Halo baaaaad, but it loses out on both games and price.

I've been a console gamer since way back (Atari 5200, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64), and I'm sure I'll get another one. I keep thinking maybe I'll skip a generation, and wait for better machines, but that never seems to happen. Whenever I do get one, I'm 90% sure it'll be the GC.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 01:16 PM

I just played a demo of Final Fantasy X. I'm getting a PS2. That was unbelievable.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 01:24 PM

Apparently, me and all of my friends (23+ years old) are not adults and only enjoy "Turtle Wurtle" games....

I don't enjoy kids games, I don't enjoy adult games, I enjoy fun games. And the GC has it. All the games for the PS2 look like awesome rental games - spend $5, play a good game for a week, but not anything that I'd actually want to buy.

Seriously though, don't you think the whole "GC is for kids, PS2 is for adults" thing is a little overdone? Cause all the kids in my college had played Mario Kart and Zelda (kiddie games, right?) and loved them. The other games kids at my college always played were the sports games (Madden in particular). So the "adult" games never even came into the picture.

I know this is a slight exaggeration, but are you seriously not going to get a system because Time magazine said the "GC is a great system for kids"? Mind you, they also said one of the pros of the XBox was the great controller, while not even mentioning the GC controller...

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 16, 2001, 03:19 PM

I won't get GC because nintendo is too ****ing ***** to come out with COOL games.

Example

Gran Turismo 3: GC's equivalent? I love cars, and I love racing, and nintendo has NOTHIGN to offer me. Never has. Choice is clear here.

Silent Hill 2 (or 1 for that matter): Scary ass game. Resident Evil? PFfft. LAAAMMEEEE. I want something SCARY, not just "Ooo its kinda scary compared to the ghosts in bowsers scary wary castle!". THere's no equivilent in GC's lineup.

Grand Theft Auto: God DAMMMN is that game fun. I'd have to say its one of the best I've played. Ever. What does the GC have like it? Nothing.

Metal Gear SOlid 2: The sequel to the best game ever, and alhtough short, its just AMAZING. GC? Nothing.

GC has 'party' games that are just fluff, without any REAL story, without any REAL characters, without anything of any real magnitude or depth. It's just happy goofy wacky stuff! YAY! Maybe if I watched Christopher Lowell's gay remodelling every day and my favorite show was rugrats I'd be a fan of gamecube.

- Ca$h

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 03:30 PM

The GameCube has been out for a month. What games did they PS2 have a month after it came out?

If you need exploding heads and big guns in your game to think it is "mature" then well, how mature is that?

The PS2 is a good choice for a system, but get over the whole Nintendo bashing thing. Don't want a Nintendo? Prefer the PS2 lineup? Then get a PS2, don't make fun of people who make a different choice then you.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>I know this subject has been discussed before, but i need feedback.

One other thing i would want to understand is the following:
Some people claim the the PS2 can have greater quality games, since the DVD capacity is 4,6GB and the GameCube mini DVDs is *only* 1,5GB.
Well, that's all folks. I'll appreciate comments regarding both consoles in order to make the right choise and buy the best one!
Thaks!
</STRONG>
Well first off the PS2 doesn't have better graphics than the GCN, a least not in any games I have seen. (And that includes MGS2.) Also I doubt that any developer out there could even use all 4.6GB on the PS2 dvd, we just don't have games that big.

The gamecube's mini-dvd is great, by making the dvd smaller than even a regular CD it has cut load times down to almost nothing, more information in a smaller area really makes a difference, and it keeps ppl from pirating games (Wether thats good or bad is ur opinion). I have a PS2 and GTA3 takes about 30-40 secs to load! thats to get into the game but then you've got about 5 sec load times evertime you enter a new city, the graphics are WAY better than GTA1 -2 but still aren't very impressive for a next-gen system. Ok that being said.

Lets look at games. PS2 you've got FFX (if you like that crap) MGS2,
Devil May Cry, GT3, GTA3.

For gamecube you have: Luigi's Mansion (It really is a fun game) Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Wave Race. And upcoming Resident Evil Series totally redone. TooHuman, and Eternal Darkness.

Personally I would go with GCN. But I doubt any one would be totally satisfied with 1 console, if you can buy them both because each one is going to have games that ur gonna want that won't be on the other consoles.

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 03:49 PM

<STRONG>The GameCube has been out for a month. What games did they PS2 have a month after it came out?

If you need exploding heads and big guns in your game to think it is "mature" then well, how mature is that?

The PS2 is a good choice for a system, but get over the whole Nintendo bashing thing. Don't want a Nintendo? Prefer the PS2 lineup? Then get a PS2, don't make fun of people who make a different choice then you.</STRONG>
Come on! It's the "mature" Ca$h! what do you expect from him

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:
<STRONG>

Personally I would go with GCN. But I doubt any one would be totally satisfied with 1 console, if you can buy them both because each one is going to have games that ur gonna want that won't be on the other consoles.</STRONG>
I'd love to buy them both, but unfortunately, where i live the prices are unreasonably expensive so i only can afford one.
I'll go for the GC! (I think i am *immature* enough for it)

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by knifecarrier:
<STRONG>I won't get GC because nintendo is too ****ing ***** to come out with COOL games.

Example

Gran Turismo 3: GC's equivalent? I love cars, and I love racing, and nintendo has NOTHIGN to offer me. Never has. Choice is clear here.

Silent Hill 2 (or 1 for that matter): Scary ass game. Resident Evil? PFfft. LAAAMMEEEE. I want something SCARY, not just "Ooo its kinda scary compared to the ghosts in bowsers scary wary castle!". THere's no equivilent in GC's lineup.

Grand Theft Auto: God DAMMMN is that game fun. I'd have to say its one of the best I've played. Ever. What does the GC have like it? Nothing.

Metal Gear SOlid 2: The sequel to the best game ever, and alhtough short, its just AMAZING. GC? Nothing.

GC has 'party' games that are just fluff, without any REAL story, without any REAL characters, without anything of any real magnitude or depth. It's just happy goofy wacky stuff! YAY! Maybe if I watched Christopher Lowell's gay remodelling every day and my favorite show was rugrats I'd be a fan of gamecube.

- Ca$h</STRONG>

Silent Hill sucked. The control skeem was shit. The first one was a rip-off of the RE series. I played through the whole thing and still didn't understand the storyline...y? Cuz it didn't have one, now I look at SilentHill2 and it doesn't look any different, cept the main boss likes to "get it on" with the monsters. Any @ss can think of sick Jeffery Domer shite, but Konami just took the shite and made it into a game. There is no storyline just mindless blood and gore..oh and kicking monsters in the butt cheek to finish them off. And you must be a wuss if you find Silent Hill scary.. "Oh god, my radio is going off. where... are... they...and..this..background music..SUCKS!!!!"

Hey blood and gore are fine as long as they have a purpose. I liked Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Perfect Dark, and Resident Evil. (Blasting zombies in half with a shotgun.. Sweet) You seem to me to be the kind of person who plays garbage like Duke Nukem, and Doom. Run kill, run kill, run kill. BORING!!! Have you even played a GCN game yet?

Silent Hill's equal? How bout Eternal Darkness.
Also your so called party- fluff games like Super Monkey Ball, Mario Kart, Pikmin rock. Games don't have to have mindless violence to be fun. Also PS2 has NO good multiplayer games, Unreal Tournament sucked, it felt like I was driving a tank and the game was sooo freakin slow. SMB is a great game, even better in multiplayer, and Pikmin don't sell them short just cuz they're colorful. GTA3 is a good game but it would have been better if there wasn't so much damn clipping, fade-in, pop-up. I was driving on the bridge to Shoreside Vale and flipped my car, I would have been fine until my car clipped through the road and I fell into the harbor, GTA3 has many flaws.

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2001, 04:30 PM

hey hate to mention it because no one else has (maybe it's in another thread) but what's the public opinion on xbox.. I want to know how they're doing.
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 08:44 PM

OK I came out for the GC, but I just want to put this out there. GTA3 rocks!

I played that game for about 6 hours straight the other day. It is effing mad fun. It is so totally pointless. But you get big guns, and you steal cars, and drive them all over, and blow stuff up. Insane stunt bonuses are hard to get, and all the more rewarding when you get them. I one trashed 17 police helicopters before the b@stads got me. The "modes" rock.. being a cop or a cabbie for a while. I thought the fast cars were fun for a while... until I got in a Hummer and ran right over a bunch of cars!

If only these consoles were cheaper... I'd buy one of each.

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 04:11 AM

<STRONG>The GameCube has been out for a month. What games did they PS2 have a month after it came out?

.</STRONG>
More mature than happy scrappy super duper fun world. Look at the game system ratings. Games with gore, violence, sex, and other 'bad' things get labeled with a "mature" rating. Super Duper Gay Mario world doesn't get a 'mature' rating, it gets one for all audiences.

- Ca$h

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 04:23 AM

Well first off the PS2 doesn't have better graphics than the GCN, a least not in any games I have seen. (And that includes MGS2.) Also I doubt that any developer out there could even use all 4.6GB on the PS2 dvd, we just don't have games that big.

1. Graphics do not make the system
2. MGS2 looks superior to any GC game I've seen so far.
3. You doubt they'd ever use 4.6 gigs?! HA! Boy is htat argument weak, and you know it. GTA3 and GT3 both use almost all of it.

The gamecube's mini-dvd is great, by making the dvd smaller than even a regular CD it has cut load times down to almost nothing, more information in a smaller area really makes a difference, and it keeps ppl from pirating games (Wether thats good or bad is ur opinion).

You're ****ing stupid. It only cuts load times because THERE IS LESS INFORMATION. A mini dvd still has the same amount of data as a regular DVD per track. Imagine cutting the edges off from a regular DVD. Thats what GC uses. Loading times do NOT decrease because of this, its only because its loading LESS DATA.

I have a PS2 and GTA3 takes about 30-40 secs to load! thats to get into the game but then you've got about 5 sec load times evertime you enter a new city, the graphics are WAY better than GTA1 -2 but still aren't very impressive for a next-gen system. Ok that being said.

Yes, because the city is HUGE. Do you realize how many polys are in each island?!?! HOly cow! Hence the reason for the graphics not being THAT great. Its because the game is GIGANTIC! You can go anywhere, do anything, and there's so much to do and destroy and ... ITS HUGE!!!!!! There's no way that GC could make a game like that because the discs can't hold that much info. Even if it was possible, nintendo wouldn't allow a game like that to be published because it's not 'happy wappy super duper' enough.

Lets look at games. PS2 you've got FFX (if you like that crap) MGS2,
Devil May Cry, GT3, GTA3.

Yes. All kickass games.

For gamecube you have: Luigi's Mansion (It really is a fun game) Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Wave Race. And upcoming Resident Evil Series totally redone. TooHuman, and Eternal Darkness.

So where's the GTA3 equivilent? Or GT3? Or FFX? ( I dont like that stuff but whatever), or MGS2? Nintendo has nothing serious. Its all goofy wacky super gay fun.

- Ca$h

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 04:34 AM

Silent Hill sucked. The control skeem was shit.

Just like any other control system, it takes a bit to get used to. Its pretty easy. I don't think 'being too ****ing stupid to get used to the controls' qualifies silent hill as a crappy game.

The first one was a rip-off of the RE series. I played through the whole thing and still didn't understand the storyline...y? Cuz it didn't have one, now I look at SilentHill2 and it doesn't look any different, cept the main boss likes to "get it on" with the monsters.

Wrong. Resident Evil is GAY. Here me? GAY. Its some stupid ****ing guy who just kills a bunch of monsters. Silent Hill, the first and the second, are both so in depth they just scare the hell outta you. That game's idea, the concept of a real world and a decaying old morbid world in the exact same locations is just frightening. Just because you were too dumb to understand the storyline doesn't mean its a bad game. Also, the boss in Silent Hill 2 is not Pyramid head.

Any @ss can think of sick Jeffery Domer shite, but Konami just took the shite and made it into a game. There is no storyline just mindless blood and gore..oh and kicking monsters in the butt cheek to finish them off. And you must be a wuss if you find Silent Hill scary.. "Oh god, my radio is going off. where... are... they...and..this..background music..SUCKS!!!!"

Where do you live? You can come over and we'll turn off all the lights and play it at night. Trust me. You'll jump quite a few times.

Hey blood and gore are fine as long as they have a purpose. I liked Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Perfect Dark, and Resident Evil.

Perfect Dark!? AhHAhaHAh WEEEE FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND AND HORRIBLE TEXTURES WEEEE! I LOVE PLAYING 4 player with 100X100 resolution and 3 frames per second; AWESOME! What a piece of shit.

(Blasting zombies in half with a shotgun.. Sweet) You seem to me to be the kind of person who plays garbage like Duke Nukem, and Doom. Run kill, run kill, run kill. BORING!!! Have you even played a GCN game yet?

Duke Nukem? Yeah, a long time ago. But not really. I like games with STORYLINES (more than can be said for any resident evil game), characters (mgs2)and most of all, uncensored FUN (gta3).

Also PS2 has NO good multiplayer games, Unreal Tournament sucked, it felt like I was driving a tank and the game was sooo freakin slow. SMB is a great game, even better in multiplayer, and Pikmin don't sell them short just cuz they're colorful.

I don't like multiplayer games much. They're lame. I like adventure and story and plot. Although I will say that 4 player Guantlet is pretty fun on the PS2.

GTA3 is a good game but it would have been better if there wasn't so much damn clipping, fade-in, pop-up. I was driving on the bridge to Shoreside Vale and flipped my car, I would have been fine until my car clipped through the road and I fell into the harbor, GTA3 has many flaws.

Odd, I've played that game for countless hours and nothing like that has happened to me yet. I smell bullshit.

- Ca$h

knifecarrier
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Korv:
<STRONG>OK I came out for the GC, but I just want to put this out there. GTA3 rocks!

I played that game for about 6 hours straight the other day. It is effing mad fun. It is so totally pointless. But you get big guns, and you steal cars, and drive them all over, and blow stuff up. Insane stunt bonuses are hard to get, and all the more rewarding when you get them. I one trashed 17 police helicopters before the b@stads got me. The "modes" rock.. being a cop or a cabbie for a while. I thought the fast cars were fun for a while... until I got in a Hummer and ran right over a bunch of cars!

If only these consoles were cheaper... I'd buy one of each.</STRONG>
The sad thing is Nintendo will never make a game this cool in fear of pissing off its 7 yr old fanbase. Well. I'm sure hte 7 yr olds would dig it, but the parents would be pissed.

- Ca$h

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2001, 06:24 AM

The only games console I have owned was a PSX, which I won in some competition. I would never have bought it, seeing as I've always been more inclined to computer games. On actual computers (my first one was an Amstrad in '85).

The thing is, despite me getting ir for nothing, I never liked the PS. I loathed it. It was ugly, slow (and then especially in loading times, it required you to BUY an EPROM to save your games on (that was amazingly stupid and uninovative of SONY - what were they thinking? that people generally don't like to save their games? ***that was a rhetorical question***) and most of all (and this one is the most important for me) I HATE THE PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER.

Yes, in my opinion it is $hit! It is a blunder of a controller! And unfortunately it comes with the PS2. 'cept it's black now.

BTW, I bought GT for the PSX way back, 'cause it looked good and seemed to play OK. But when pushed to the edge both the game AND the controller failed in capturing any kind of a driving simulation. (It is to driving as Pacman is to eating)

I have driven cars for, what 5 years. There is nothing at all a game like GT has in common with driving. It is ammmm ah, "imagined driving experience", or something. As I said, it has nothing to do with driving. Sorry. (looks good tho)

Needless to say, I packed the PS and haven't used it for a long time now, but my younger brother got himself a Nintendo64. That had a good controller, the ability to save the game, but didn't have any games that apealed to me. But then I tries Zelda:Ocarina of time and I was sold.

There is more quality over Nintendo. It is the Apple of the console world, I have little doubts about that. (and apparently M$ wants to be M$ of the console world )

Bottom line, I'd buy the Gamecube from Nintendo, if I'd buy a console. No question (there will be a Zelda for the GC, so that is enougfh for me)

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: voodoo ]
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

The Dude
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 07:29 AM

You know, considering that the GameCube is meant for people who like "sooper duper happy fun time games with that big italian who has a gigantic mushroom for a pal" games, makes you wonder why they got Capcom to do all the new and old Resident Evil games for it...

I mean, if you think that having a a ****ing zombie coming after you to rip out your intestines and eat you alive is "super dooper happy fun fun"...godDAMN you're messed up.

Having said that, let it be known that I don't own a PS2, GC, or Xbastard. Nor do I have any intention of getting one.

The Dude
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 07:32 AM

Ca$h: Each to his own, man.

I'm betting the GC has some very, very slick compression technologies for those mini-cds, just like the dreamcast did.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: The Dude ]

Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
<STRONG>(and apparently M$ wants to be M$ of the console world )
</STRONG>
LOL!

I say Super Smash Bros. Melee justifies buying a gamecube, or at least that's how I plan on justifying it .

Forum Links
Forum Rules