Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Ask a Magellan Rep!

Ask a Magellan Rep!
Maggie-Magellan
Magellan Rep
Dec 15, 2009, 06:00 PM

Welcome to the Magellan GPS thread for Macnn!

Hi there!

My name is Maggie, and I am one of Magellan's community reps. I am here to answer and assist any questions or concerns you may have with our products or services. Just simply post here or send me a private message, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

In this thread you will also find information and news about all our new and upcoming products for the iPhone.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the open road!

Magellan GPS- Magellan RoadMate for iPhone
( Last edited by Maggie-Magellan; Feb 11, 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Users are against Free products)

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 15, 2009, 06:31 PM

please scale down your images, take out the "BUY IT NOW" text and the huge list below it, and remove a few of the screenshots. it's far too long and seem more like an ad than a thread where people can ask for assistance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2009, 10:26 PM

How the hell is this not spam ?

-t

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 15, 2009, 11:53 PM

they asked if they could post something. didn't know it'd quite be....this. hopefully they'll clean it up soon (or i shall).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 03:20 AM

a) how is this not spam?
b) after 9 hours why the heck is it still here?
c) and even if some genius has decided this has to stay here why doesn't it have an [ANN] tag per the forum guidelines?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2009, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Exactly.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2009, 08:40 AM

The poster asked permission to post and got it. That her post was so huge, so commercial looking and lacks the appropriate tag is something we're working on with her. It isn't spam-as I said, she asked permission first and is legitimately with the publisher-but the format and content will be fixed so that it doesn't look so spammy...

Can anyone comment on the content of the post (aside from the size)?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 09:52 AM

Umm Glenn, what content shall we comment on? It's an ad. With big flashy pics and ample fine print. Nothing we couldn't find on their web page or on the iTS if we wanted.

If this thread actually becomes something like a chat with one of their engineers (and not just some sales Joe) for bugs and/or feature requests it might serve a purpose. Right now it's plain old spam. And yet without [ANN] tags. Still.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 01:46 PM

Umm Glenn, what content shall we comment on? It's an ad. With big flashy pics and ample fine print. Nothing we couldn't find on their web page or on the iTS if we wanted.

If this thread actually becomes something like a chat with one of their engineers (and not just some sales Joe) for bugs and/or feature requests it might serve a purpose. Right now it's plain old spam. And yet without [ANN] tags. Still.

There is no value-add in this post.

Shouldn't they PAY for ads like this ?

-t

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 16, 2009, 01:55 PM

a) how is this not spam?
c) and even if some genius has decided this has to stay here why doesn't it have an [ANN] tag per the forum guidelines?
a) they asked permission to post it
b) i was giving them an opportunity to edit it themselves. that time has elapsed, and i edited it to better suit a thread where questions can be asked.
c) it's not a new product announcement. it's supposed to be a support/discussion thread.

hopefully that answers your questions.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 02:01 PM

Good edit, DH. Now it looks more like a support thread.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
hopefully that answers your questions.
Never mind those. But the edit was definitely a step in the right direction. Now this is starting to resemble something that actually ads value to the board.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 02:58 PM

Now, the real question is whether they'll ever be back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 03:18 PM

That's not really a question.

We all know the answer...

-t

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Dec 16, 2009, 03:20 PM

Hi All,

We apologize for the ad/picture postings. We were not fully aware of the polices and rules. Thank you DemonHood for editing it.

Our intent for this thread is to NOT spam, it is to answer members' questions regarding current and future products for the iPhone.

Once again, we do apologize for the initial posting.

Maggie
( Last edited by Maggie-Magellan; Dec 16, 2009 at 03:29 PM. )
Maggie-Community Rep, Magellan GPS
www.magellangps.com/iphone
Magellan GPS Thread for Macnn
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask!

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Dec 17, 2009, 07:59 PM

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away! We are here to help!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 11:09 PM

Okie, I'll bite. Will the iPhone app ever be priced at a level that encourages people to actually purchase the app rather than a standalone GPS? I'm not trying to sound rude at all, but right now running a GPS app on the iPhone requires 1) Giving up the use of your iPhone and other apps and 2) using nearly all over your battery power on even fairly short trips. For $80, you could easily buy a standalone GPS that leaves both your phone free and runs on its own battery. So my main question is really asking this: Will it be possible to make an efficient and cost-effective (for both the consumer AND the manufacturer) navigation app from the iPhone platform? I'm assuming that it takes a fair amount of time to build a large app such as a navigation app; after all it seemed as if it took months after Apple started allowing turn-by-turn navigation for satnav apps to actually show up on the App Store.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or flame or anything. Really my criticism goes to EVERY iPhone navigation app out there right now not just Magellan. But this is the first chance I've been able to ask anyone who might know Thanks.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 09:39 AM

The battery issue doesn't bother me. The only place I use a GPS for any length of time is in my car, where power isn't an issue.

Receiving a phone call during navigation can be annoying, but that strikes me as being an Apple problem, with not allowing multiple apps to run simultaneously. Having said this, my Navigon app restarts without issue.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 09:40 AM

Oh, and not answering a question for three days hardly counts as community involvement. We work on similar jobs for our clients, we'd get fired if we'd be as sloppy as this.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2009, 12:14 PM

Well it is right before Christmas...

For me the biggest issue is price... paying $80 now (or $100 when it goes up to full price) is just silly when you can easily buy a standalone unit for that much. It would be perhaps okay if there weren't any compromises involved, but there is.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Well it is right before Christmas...
That's what I thought when I saw the ad customer service announcement first.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2009, 02:47 PM

Lock this thread and ban the spammer, I say.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Lock this thread and ban the spammer, I say.
Seconded.

If we have to wait a week to get a reply from some sales Joe this is not a technical discussion but a cheap sales pitch.

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Dec 21, 2009, 04:15 PM

Okie, I'll bite. Will the iPhone app ever be priced at a level that encourages people to actually purchase the app rather than a standalone GPS? I'm not trying to sound rude at all, but right now running a GPS app on the iPhone requires 1) Giving up the use of your iPhone and other apps and 2) using nearly all over your battery power on even fairly short trips. For $80, you could easily buy a standalone GPS that leaves both your phone free and runs on its own battery. So my main question is really asking this: Will it be possible to make an efficient and cost-effective (for both the consumer AND the manufacturer) navigation app from the iPhone platform? I'm assuming that it takes a fair amount of time to build a large app such as a navigation app; after all it seemed as if it took months after Apple started allowing turn-by-turn navigation for satnav apps to actually show up on the App Store.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or flame or anything. Really my criticism goes to EVERY iPhone navigation app out there right now not just Magellan. But this is the first chance I've been able to ask anyone who might know Thanks.
Hi imitchellg5

That is a wonderful question, but the main reason why our price is at $80 is the cost to produce and maintain it like you stated. We understand that it may cost equivalent to some portable navigation systems (PNDs) out there, but please realize that it is comparable to a mid to high tier PND which can range from $150-$300.

Once again, we welcome your feedback and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank You,
Maggie

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Oh, and not answering a question for three days hardly counts as community involvement. We work on similar jobs for our clients, we'd get fired if we'd be as sloppy as this.
Hi Phileas,

We are terribly sorry, but our office is close from Friday to Sunday.

Thank you,
Maggie

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Dec 21, 2009, 04:18 PM

Seconded.

If we have to wait a week to get a reply from some sales Joe this is not a technical discussion but a cheap sales pitch.
Hi Simon,

We can assure you that we are not trying to sell anything in any deceitful way. We are just trying to help answer members' questions, and we will continue to do so well after the holiday season is over.

If we are doing anything wrong, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Maggie

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2009, 04:50 PM

I see some middle ranking sales manager has decided that forums are a good sales tool and given one staff member 50 or 60 forums to monitor as long as it doesn't interfere with her real job.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 21, 2009, 05:28 PM

Doc HM, I think you're being unfair. She returned, and answered all the questions aimed at her. You've added two unfavorable guesses about her position and assignment. While they could both be right, they could equally be completely wrong.

Besides, her position/assignment should not matter if she does give technical help.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 05:38 PM

Wow a lot of people beating Magellan up... I think its good if they are answering questions and getting involved.

I am surprised MacNN is still a viable message board, it seems like there is hardly any activity anymore here... could be the rudeness of some people.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2009, 06:52 PM

I remember there was once a rep for whatever game company ported Colin McRae to OS X. He got so much crap from people that he left (of course it didn't help that they were releasing the title on Mac a full two years after it was available everywhere else).

I was glad to hear an answer to my question, hopefully after time costs will go down.

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Dec 22, 2009, 02:50 PM

I remember there was once a rep for whatever game company ported Colin McRae to OS X. He got so much crap from people that he left (of course it didn't help that they were releasing the title on Mac a full two years after it was available everywhere else).

I was glad to hear an answer to my question, hopefully after time costs will go down.
Hi imitchellg5

I am glad to have answered your question. If you or anyone else have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you,
Maggie

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Wow a lot of people beating Magellan up... I think its good if they are answering questions and getting involved.

I am surprised MacNN is still a viable message board, it seems like there is hardly any activity anymore here... could be the rudeness of some people.
Totally. The amount of new threads/day here has gotten so small and people are still flipping out while being rude and combative at the same time? What's up with that? Leaving the thread *is* an option, it's not a big deal.

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Jan 6, 2010, 05:27 PM

Hi All,

I just want to inform everyone that to celebrate our Magellan Premium Car Kit's release date (January 7, 2010), we decided to give away TWO (2) FREE Magellan Premium Car Kits and a couple of our Magellan Roadmate 2010 Apps!

Instructions are below and I will post the winning videos here!

No purchase necessary.

Contest Procedures/Rules:

How to Enter: Upload a self made 3 minutes or less video on YouTube telling us why you should be the winner of a Magellan RoadMate for iPhone App or the winner for a Magellan premium car kit . Submit the direct link by completing Magellan Video Contest Form. The video must contain legitimate as well as clear and visible Magellan logo.

Winner Selection Process: "Let the creative minds win"! A selected group of Magellan judges will pick the 4 most creative videos and announce the winners via email on PST Tuesday, January 15, 2010. Winning videos will also be posted on Magellan's Facebook and Twitter fan page as well as various forums and blogs.

Prizes and Approximate Retail Value:
  • Grand Prize: Magellan RoadMate for iPhone App (Downloadable from Apple store)(Approximate retail value of $100.00) and Magellan Premium Car Kit ($129 value)
  • Prize 2: A Magellan Premium Car Kit ($129 value)
  • Prize 3: A Magellan RoadMate for iPhone App
  • Prize 4: A $20.00 discount coupon valid valid for purchase of the Premium car kit on MagellanGPS.com

Eligibility: Open only to U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Participants must own an iPhone 3G/3GS / iPod Touch. Employees, contractors and agents of MiTAC Digital Corporation / MagellanGPS, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and immediate family members (parent, sibling, child or spouse of any of the foregoing) and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible.

General: The winners will be notified within ten (10) days of the drawing date through e-mail or phone. If the winners enter an incorrect email address or phone number, their eligibility to the Prize will be voided and sponsor may select other winners by a random drawing. Winners should allow approximately two (2) weeks for delivery of the Prize. Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes. Prizes are non-transferable. No cash or other substitutions are allowed. Sponsor can cancel this contest at any time for any reason. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. The sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other errors in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the Prize. Magellan panel of judges will make the final decision.

No Warranty: By accepting the Prize, the winners acknowledge that the Prize is provided by sponsor on an 'as is' basis with no warranty of any kind. SPONSOR DISCLAIMS ALL GUARANTEES AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask! Please note that creativity is a plus!

Good Luck!
Maggie

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 05:44 PM

Maggie, can you send me some free t-shirts?

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Jan 6, 2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maggie, can you send me some free t-shirts?
Hi besson3c,

I am sorry, we dont have any t-shirts to give away but you can win the Car Kit and/or app!

Thank you,
Maggie

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 08:25 PM

See, Besson, no free lunch. Maggie must hate you

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 08:20 AM

besson3c, why don't you try and submit a video? Maybe you could include your favourite activity somewhere in there? That should be fun.

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Jan 7, 2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
besson3c, why don't you try and submit a video? Maybe you could include your favourite activity somewhere in there? That should be fun.
Agreed! It doesn't hurt to try!

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Jan 13, 2010, 09:20 PM

Just a reminder guys! Only 2 more days left until the Car Kit contest ends!!!

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Feb 11, 2010, 03:04 PM

Deleted, please pm me if you are interested in winning a Free Magellan Roadmate App ($79.99)
( Last edited by Maggie-Magellan; Feb 11, 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Users do not want Free products,)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2010, 03:36 PM

WTF

This is out of control.

Wasn't this supposed to be a support thread, not an ad thread ?

-t

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Feb 11, 2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF

This is out of control.

Wasn't this supposed to be a support thread, not an ad thread ?

-t
I was just trying to give away some free Apps, but if its against the rules then I will delete it. Please let me know thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 04:22 PM

Spam. Reported.

dedalus
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2010, 05:37 PM

Call me paranoid, but it’s as if Magellan paid off MacNN to turn a blind eye towards spamming this forum.

Stupid.

I never used to have an opinion about the company prior to this thread, but thanks to ‘Maggie’ here, I will now never buy any Magellan product, ever.

Good job, frigtards.

Maggie-Magellan  (op)
Magellan Rep
Feb 11, 2010, 06:04 PM

Hey everyone,

I can see that everyone is against me giving away free products, as a result, I will delete it. However, if you are still interested in entering, I will pm you the instructions. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Maggie

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 12:48 AM

Whatever happened to just ignoring threads that don't pertain to you?

The admins have said repeatedly that this thread was permitted. If you don't like it, move on. There's no reason to troll and torment a legitimate employee of a real business just because you don't think the thread belongs here. In case y'all forgot, it's up to the mods - and ultimately, the admins - to decide what is and isn't appropriate content for the various forums and subforums on MacNN.

To Maggie - I'm sorry that people here have been so rude to you. Take heart; not everyone in this community is a complete dipwad.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 12:53 AM

Secret MacNN formula:

1) Maggie starts this thread
2) People such as Simon and Turtle decide that they don't like this thread since it is apparently spammy
3) Simon and Turtle and whomever else raise a fuss
4) The same thread stays open
5) The same thread gets posted to later
6) Simon and Turtle and whomever else see the clearly identifiable same thread that they didn't like before and felt an overwhelming urge to return to the thread they didn't like, perhaps hoping that they would like it now?
7) Argument breaks out, people are reported or threatened to be reported
8) People yell at besson3c
9) Loop back to #3

MacNN cannot cater to everybody's likes and dislikes.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

The admins have said repeatedly that this thread was permitted. If you don't like it, move on. There's no reason to troll and torment a legitimate employee of a real business just because you don't think the thread belongs here. In case y'all forgot, it's up to the mods - and ultimately, the admins - to decide what is and isn't appropriate content for the various forums and subforums on MacNN.

To Maggie - I'm sorry that people here have been so rude to you. Take heart; not everyone in this community is a complete dipwad.
I take it you didn't see the post. It was 24pt bold red text. There's a certain lack of respect inherent in that kind of formatting that I think people were responding to.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I take it you didn't see the post. It was 24pt bold red text. There's a certain lack of respect inherent in that kind of formatting that I think people were responding to.
Yep, that's pretty much the point.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Turtle, myself, and others originally complained about this thread because it's spammy. The admins declared it ok, but set up some ground rules (did you see the huge pics in the original version?). Now a few weeks later those ground rules have been disregarded again. So obviously the thread gets reported again.

This is not about not accepting a thread or 'ignoring' it. It's about a certain somebody constantly crossing the line everybody else has to adhere to. It's an obvious display of disrespect to people on this board. And if that certain somebody lacks the courtesy to follow common etiquette then reports will be made.

Now which part of that is inappropriate? The disrespect or the reporting?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 04:00 AM

Oh and Maggie, what's with being cute in the edit tag? It's not that users don't want Free (sic!) products. It's that users don't want to be spammed with huge pics and 24pt headers. I have my doubts that being smart and treating people here like they're a bunch of idiots is good for business.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 12, 2010 at 04:45 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I didn't see the original, unedited post, no.

But isn't there an appropriate way to deal with something like that? If the OP is using some kind of app to create the BBCode based on some webpage or something that Magellan has created, I can see why there would be things like unnecessarily large text, etc.

Seems like it's a hell of a lot nicer - and more productive - to just ask her to edit the post (or edit it) and not be a dick about it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules