Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook newbie

Ibook newbie
optimgr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 06:44 PM

Hi! I am hoping to get some help. I just bought a used Ibook & love it so far. However it is very different to me from ms computers especially since my computer at work runs on windows. I was wondering 1st of all if there is a website I can go to to download a torrent program? I used to have bitcomet but when I went to their site they only said it could be downloaded on microsoft. Also what about updates? Can I get free updates & support like with Microsoft? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 08:12 PM

1. Azureus

2. Software Update (Apple menu)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

optimgr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 02:58 AM

I downloaded azureus but it won't install. It saysmount due to no mountable files. What does that mean? What do I do?

bluekatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 05:49 PM

it would help if you tell us what kind of ibook you have
clamshell dual usb G4
the clock speed the amount of ram
and what version of mac os you have installed

from the sound of it you either have os 9 or need to redownload the file
azureus is trash however its a java driven ram hog interferes with aim\ichat and bogs down the system
bittorrent is much better

optimgr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 07:59 PM

Like I said I am new to the wonderful world of apple but here is what I know about the ibook. It is 700mhz 256mb ram running 10.2 jaguar. Please help. Surfinh the net is fun but I want to do more with it but it won't let me install anything.

kauffee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 09:39 AM

It seems like you need to learn how to install programs on the Mac. When you download a program, it typically is a .dmg file. When you click on this, it will open a "disk image" file which will look like a little white disk drive. Open that, and you should see an icon for the program. Don't click on it. Instead, drag it to your "Applications" folder in Finder. That will install the program.

For torrents, I recommend Transmission. It's really light and quick.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 09:57 AM

I want to do more with it but it won't let me install anything.
What do you mean? Are you being asked for an Administrator's user name and password? Is your account an Admin account?
Apple Icon --> System Preferences --> Accounts

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 14, 2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by optimgr View Post
I downloaded azureus but it won't install. It saysmount due to no mountable files. What does that mean? What do I do?
I've seen the warning "no mountable file systems"(or something like that) when I've tried to mount a dmg file that was defective. Try downloading it again, or from another source.

Forum Links
Forum Rules