Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDVD: Files exported from iMovie 11, one works, one "Unsupported File Type : Unknown

iDVD: Files exported from iMovie 11, one works, one "Unsupported File Type : Unknown
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 25, 2013, 03:43 PM

I used footage from the same camera (taken on the same weekend using the same settings) in several different iMovie "projects". All were shared from iMovie 11 as "File" using the quality setting "SD 480p".

In Quicktime Player, all ".mp4" files will play and they show the following info in its inspector:
Format: H.264, 854 x 480
AAC, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)
FPS: 29.97

One exported file will drag, drop, and burn in iDVD just fine. The other two files show the error "Unsupported File Type : Unknown format" as soon as I try and drag them into iDVD.

The only difference I can find is that the one file that works is about 803MB, while the files that don't work are 1.87GB and 3.98GB.

All files and the iDVD project are in the same folder on my startup volume. I've tried deleting com.apple.idvd but that didn't help. I've tried rebooting and starting the iDVD project from scratch but I get the same results.

Mac OS 10.9.1
iMovie 10.0.1
iDVD 7.1.2

Any ideas?

P
Dec 25, 2013, 06:43 PM

How long are those movie clips? iDVD cannot make DVDs longer than 120 minutes, .mp4 is probably H.264, and 2 and 4 gigs in SD H.264 will be more than that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 25, 2013, 07:53 PM

The clips are 20 minutes, 49 minutes, and 103 minutes. Adding them in any order gets the same results. I re-exported one of the non-working files and got the same result again.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2013, 08:37 PM

It does sound like size or duration is the problem with the non-working files.

You might break up the two problem files into several parts (I'd aim for the running time of the one file that worked) and see if the parts will export individually. I'm thinking that certain output formats produce larger output files for a given length of running time, but with the H.264 codec that shouldn't be the issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2013, 11:58 AM

I took one of the large clips that didn't work before and cut it down to about 11 minutes/440MB. iDVD gave me the same error when trying to add it.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2013, 03:39 PM

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I'm using iMovie 10.0.1 which has very limited quality adjustments. In every case I chose the smallest size, which iMovie 10.0.1 calls "SD 480p (854 x 480)". I used this same setting on all exports.

I still have iMovie HD (6.0.4) and iMovie '11 (9.0.9) on my iMac so I tried both of them. In both cases, they could import only the file that works in iDVD. Both older versions of iMovie choked on the longer movies exported from iMovie 10.0.1.

I have many many hours into the editing of these clips and I do not want to have to go back and redo everything in an older version of iMovie. Might I be better off going with a different DVD creation software? Or am I out of luck? Because I can't really change iMovie 10.0.1's export settings, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to get it to export it as something that iDVD can use (really, I can't even tell why it's different and why iDVD doesn't like it).

P
Dec 27, 2013, 08:06 AM

Sounds like the problem is with iDVD, yes. Maybe you should give something else a try. If it's just about burning the DVD and not adding menus etc, something like ffmpegx can do it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2013, 08:16 AM

It's a wedding DVD for some friends and I was really counting on some nice looking menus. The last time I did this I was using iMovie HD which gave me the ability to use chapter markers that would work straight in iDVD and the end result was great. It's really too bad that Apple has let this integration slip so much, I really liked when "it just worked."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2013, 09:12 AM

Apple hasn't exactly "let this integration slip" - they just outright killed iDVD years ago.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2013, 08:38 AM

Ended up giving up on iDVD. I used Bombono's free version for Windows which kind of sucks but got the job done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules