Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Think Secret: "real" video iPod coming.

Think Secret: "real" video iPod coming.
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

Linky.

Interestingly, they say it'll have what some 'NNers have been clamoring for: touch-sensitive display taking up the full size of the Pod and turning into a virtual click-wheel.

Sounds kinda like an interface disaster to me because of lack of tactile feedback. But if anyone can pull it off, Apple can. And I suppose if it's a real video player, users will want to be looking at it when they press the "buttons." The real problem is fingerprints—maybe it'll come with a Wet-Nap dispenser?

Update: AppleInsider just said the same thing, but they're citing an analyst's prediction, not their own source..

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 12:23 PM

Damnit. And I just bought a 60GB 5G. I guess I better start saving again

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 02:39 PM

I don't know if portable video is particularly interesting to me, but if this thing's introduction bumps up the capacity/price ratio down the rest of the iPod line, I might finally get around to getting one..

I can't believe this forum isn't going ape over this story. Or is everyone on the "Think Secret sux0rz" bandwagon now?

trevor.o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 04:09 PM

I mocked these up some time ago mainly because I was curious to see if reading books was possible on a larger screen and I wanted to see what Front Row might look like on an iPod. I did not give it too much thought so they are not perfect but you will get the idea. I would have concerns about touchscreen deterioration as well.

http://www.cry9c.com/iPod/

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 05:05 PM

thats cool sutff trevor.o
I remember when the vid pod first came out, lots of people were really upset that it couldnt actually record anything. But in reality, its like the cell phone cameras, you dont need it, the quality sucks, and its just something to be able to charge more. Im happy with my video capable ipod, no recording for me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Interestingly, they say it'll have what some 'NNers have been clamoring for: touch-sensitive display taking up the full size of the Pod and turning into a virtual click-wheel.
Has Apple invented a fix for the big round fingerprint smudge?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 9, 2006, 08:03 PM

Linky.

Sounds kinda like an interface disaster to me because of lack of tactile feedback. But if anyone can pull it off, Apple can.
Maybe, maybe not... I'd say the worst of the iPod designs was the 3G. Those "buttons" were just too inconsistent.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2006, 08:21 PM

I can't believe this forum isn't going ape over this story. Or is everyone on the "Think Secret sux0rz" bandwagon now?
Well, it's not exactly the first time we've heard this stuff, but it is sort encouraging to hear it "confirmed" by more sources.

I will definitely buy one if it has a wide screen that is significantly larger than the current model. I'm hopelessly addicted to the idea of mobile video. I've converted close to 2,000 TV show episodes and movies already. The current iPod is a pretty good size for non-widescreen TV Shows, but once you get to widescreen (especially movies) things get a little too small for comfort.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 9, 2006, 08:32 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:50 AM. )

porieux
Baninated
Feb 9, 2006, 08:34 PM

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Yeah those 3G buttons were a nightmare (I still have one)

Amazing how many people claim to prefer that model.
The only cool thing is the red backlight.

I wish Apple had a backlight on the click wheel - minor little thing, but then Apple is all about the little details..

bourgeoisie
Feb 9, 2006, 11:29 PM

Yeah those 3G buttons were a nightmare (I still have one)

Amazing how many people claim to prefer that model.
The only cool thing is the red backlight.
we don't "claim" to prefer that model, we do prefer it.
green links don't belong to me!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
I agree... the 3rd Gen iPod was slick. No moving parts whatsoever (Except for the spinning hard drive inside). I thought the red looked cool too.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 01:14 AM

3rd gen ipod....best ipod design/layout imho.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2006, 01:41 AM

Why do you say that? I have one of the 3G iPods and while it's certainly not a terrible design, the buttons are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough, and having them in a line above the scroll wheel just means that you have to move more to reach them. I'll take the click wheel any day, personally.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 02:52 AM

If you have a 3G in a plastic case like the Contour Design Showcase, the raised plastic that surrounds the buttons makes it a little more difficult to accidentally activate them. The 3G may not have been the best design, but it still was great due to its solid state functionality.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

I loved the 3G. Everything here mentioned was what made it awesome (pure slick, no moving parts, red backlight, etc.)

However, one thing that just made it wonderful was how the buttons took up more "face space". The newer ones are just too blank on the frontside.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 09:12 AM

Damn I hope it's not a touch sensitive clickwheel that doesn't sound good.

The main thing I am hoping for is increased Hard Disk space.
60GB is not adequate [insert whining from non-music fans here]
60GB is not adequate? What are you doing, running your entire system from your iPod's HD?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
60GB is not adequate? What are you doing, running your entire system from your iPod's HD?
Some people have a lot of music. Get over it. Just because you only have a small library doesn't mean that everyone does. Some people like music a little more than the next guy.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 01:03 PM

I loved my 3g pod, I think having the buttons seperate from the wheel is what made it for me. Plus the red backlight was cool as hell.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 10, 2006, 03:08 PM

porieux
Baninated
Feb 10, 2006, 03:09 PM

porieux
Baninated
Feb 10, 2006, 03:11 PM

DavisH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 03:42 PM

I have owned every iPod from the beginning (minus the photo ipod) I still have a 3rd generation and I think its one of the best. Apple truly nailed down the whole iPod concept with the 3G, they rounded off all the sharp edges, perfected the software and I believe it was the first one Mac and PC compatible. With regards to button layout it all comes down to personal preference, the single scroll wheel probably being the simplest to use. WHAT CONCERNS ME THE MOST about the new iPods, having just received a new 5G 60gig is build quality. I don’t have any hard evidence, but when I pick up/touch my 3G iPod it just feels of a higher quality. 4G I noticed a decline in build quality, but the 5G seems to be the worst. I guess when you ship 14 million of them there has to be compromises. There are a lot of things I dislike about my new 60 that where not an issue with my 3G. I believe the 3G is the best overall.

Side not: I noticed the same when I compare my iPod mini to my Nano. Mini is constructed out of aluminum, and just feels of a higher quality. Nano has a plastic feel to it.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 05:31 AM

I JUST got rid of my newly refurbished 40GB 3G iPod, and having the new 5th generation I will have to say that it feels of lesser quality than the 3rd generation iPod. Then again, it is also heavier and bulkier.

I do love the new video feature and use it everyday at lunch. i'm going to check out how well the video is on an SVGA (? 800x600) LCD projector. If it is VCR quality, I may found my easy way of showing videos in the classroom (DNA, Evolution series for my Biology classes).
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Nuks
Feb 11, 2006, 10:01 AM

Here are some photoshops of what it might look like.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2006, 10:44 AM

What do people mean when they say the 5G feels like it is lower quality? I can't say that I agree with that at all. The 3G does feel nice in your hand because of its rounded corners, though, and maybe its heft helps contribute to a sense of quality.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 03:12 PM

Yay.

And I just got a 5G a couple months ago.

(I have a feeling all the 5G owners will be 'happy').

Jerk_circus
Feb 11, 2006, 09:55 PM

Here's a link to some pics from Apple's Patent Application. Looks promising.
http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/54/touch-sensitive-ipod/
Jerk_circus | Toronto Web Development

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 11:22 PM

Once again, I'll say that "I'll believe it when I see it." Then again, I could be bitter that I replaced my 2G iPod with a 5G iPod for video watching, and would love to get a widesceen video iPod. Oh well. I guess only time will tell.

Plus, the idea of a touch screen wheel will get dirty real fast.

volcano
Senior User
Feb 12, 2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
What do people mean when they say the 5G feels like it is lower quality? I can't say that I agree with that at all. The 3G does feel nice in your hand because of its rounded corners, though, and maybe its heft helps contribute to a sense of quality.
Personally, I don't think it's the overall build quality that lacks in the 5G iPod. I've had/have a 3G, 4G (w/ color display), Mini, and now my 5G model.

The only thing that bugs me about the latest model is the click wheel. It just doesn't feel as solid as it did on my Mini or 4G iPod. It feels cheaper to me. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that Apple changed manufacturers on the 5G models for the click wheel... anyone know about this?

I'm happy with the current model though. I got rid of my 4G model, but I still have my 15GB 3G iPod. It's funny putting them side-by-side: the new model looks so much sleeker, and the difference between screen sizes seems substantial... the 3G screen looks so tiny. The scroll wheels are the same size, though. The weight difference is noticeable, too - nothing to write home about, but it still amazes me that my current iPod has twice the storage of my 3G iPod, video capability, and better battery life - yet it's almost half as thick.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2006, 12:50 AM

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2006, 03:01 AM

*Raises hand as another 3G lover.*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2006, 10:11 AM

Hmm... nVidia GoForce 5500

H.264 VIDEO CODEC
H.264 decode at D1 resolution [720x480 @ 30fps or 720x576 @ 25fps]
H.264 encode QVGA at 15fps and 384Kbps
H.264 codec QVGA at 15fps and 384Kbps

"The First GPU to Deliver the World of Portable Entertainment to Your Mobile Phone"

HazMacFan
Feb 13, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
Agree, 3G is a gr8t device. Still love the backlight.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006, 10:18 PM

I have had absolutely no problems with my fith 3G iPod.

1st 3G iPod stopped working with a broken folder icon and I had to return it.
2nd 3G iPod froze and would not turn on or be recognized by the computer at all.
3rd 3G iPod could only copy about 800MB before it completely locked up and needed to be reset.
4th 3G iPod worked good until the battery would only get about an hour (by then the warranty was up)
5th 3G iPod costed me $60 to fix the battery problem and it has been fine ever since.

ben.mcguire
Feb 14, 2006, 09:37 AM

I would have given up the third time!!

24klogos
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 12:30 AM

i think y'all whinners should go to walmart and buy a walkman - they hardly ever scratch, cheap batteries - phone quality sound, and best of all, when you squeeze them real hard, you can actually slow down the music, pretty gangsta - try that apple.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 02:51 AM

This soon?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Daveecee
This soon?
If they do release something like this, I would think it would be in addition to the current models, not replacing them. At least at first. Kind of like original iPod photo.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
If they do release something like this, I would think it would be in addition to the current models, not replacing them. At least at first. Kind of like original iPod photo.
If that were the case, how early could we be seeing this? Because I was planning on ordering a Video today. Should I hold off or something?
( Last edited by Daveecee; Feb 20, 2006 at 12:40 PM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Daveecee
If that were the case, how early could we be seeing this? Because I was planning on ordering a Video today. Should I hold off or something?
Nobody has an answer for that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 05:36 PM

Not really asking for an answer, just a suggestion.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2006, 03:31 PM

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 10:59 PM

I looks very Apple for sure, don't know about the 250gb hd that's been described. It would make that thing about $1000. Could be the infamous tablet finally.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 12:55 AM

I won't buy another iPod (got the 5G).

But I would SO buy a Mac tablet. Oh me oh my I would...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 02:00 AM

I don't know why someone would suggest 250 GB. That wouldn't make sense either for an iPod or a tablet. No such drives exist anyway, and I'm sure Apple isn't about to release a tablet either.

P.S. That cable apparently says "This side". Strange. Well, perhaps it's to tell them which side is up. If I'm not paying attention sometimes I try to plug in my iPod cable upside down too.

P.P.S. If you really want a media oriented iTablet, here's one:

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 08:14 AM

There's a lot of debate on other sites (Engadget, TUAW...) about whether the Macshrine picture Eug has posted is real or fake. It looks real to me, and looks similar to the 5G iPod picture that got out just before it was released, apparently this is from the same factory.

The Feb 28th Apple invite has an iCal icon on it, that picture looks like what you get if you combined an iPod with a Palm LifeDrive PDA...

Is 2 and 2 making 4 or 5 here???

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
There's a lot of debate on other sites (Engadget, TUAW...) about whether the Macshrine picture Eug has posted is real or fake.
Looks like a real picture to me, but we shall see...

It looks real to me, and looks similar to the 5G iPod picture that got out just before it was released, apparently this is from the same factory.
Is Apple gonna switch manufacturers? Or is this leak gonna be used to leverage even deeper discounts. Or maybe it was intentional... It certainly has gotten Apple a lot of free advertising.

The Feb 28th Apple invite has an iCal icon on it, that picture looks like what you get if you combined an iPod with a Palm LifeDrive PDA...

Is 2 and 2 making 4 or 5 here???
You hit the nail on the head. Even the Acer machine I linked above isn't really a tablet. It's just a media device with a touch screen. A widescreen iPod with touch screen is still an iPod... and perhaps a PDA too, but it certainly does not make it into a tablet.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
You hit the nail on the head. Even the Acer machine I linked above isn't really a tablet. It's just a media device with a touch screen. A widescreen iPod with touch screen is still an iPod... and perhaps a PDA too, but it certainly does not make it into a tablet.
We could be seeing the beginnings of a real Knowledge Navigator. Think about it: 3G cellular technology coupled with a touchscreen interface would make this a carry anywhere terminal to the Internet.

BlackBerry is under fire right now, and Apple could pick up any ensuing slack with a cellular PDA that does double-duty as a multimedia device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules