Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage, Sync Services, and Spotlight.

Entourage, Sync Services, and Spotlight.
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 08:12 PM

Check this out. With this new update, it appears that Entourage transparently integrates with Address Book and iCal, Syncs with devices and .Mac, and is searchable with Spotlight.

I may just have to switch back. I used to really like Entourage, but I started using Mail/AB/iCal because so many other apps seemed to tie into them and they do the Bluetooth sync with my phone easily. But I kinda prefer PIM/e-mail stuff to be combined into one app.

Anyone else find this somewhat intriguing?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 08:33 PM

I do--does anyone know yet in Entourage uses Spotlight for the searches it does within the app, the way that Mail does?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister
I do--does anyone know yet in Entourage uses Spotlight for the searches it does within the app, the way that Mail does?
It seems to find everything I would normally search for from within the app.

So far so good, now if Office would give access to Filemaker 7 & 8 instead of just < = 6. I would be a happy camper.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2006, 09:04 PM

How does the Entourage/iCal seamless integration work exactly? By adding something to Entourage's Calendar does it automatically add it to iCal and vice versa?

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
How does the Entourage/iCal seamless integration work exactly? By adding something to Entourage's Calendar does it automatically add it to iCal and vice versa?
That's what it looks like, from Andy Ruff's comment on the page I linked to. I'm pretty sure he's a developer. I suppose I should try it out, since as long as I use IMAP for mail accounts, switching back and forth on a whim should be seamless.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 10:50 PM

Post back if you try it...I'm hesitant to download the update because everything is working so well using e2sync and I don't want to break it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 12:12 AM

Andy8, I don't understand--what I'm asking is, has is Entourage using Spotlight inside itself for its own searches? When I used Entourage, its terrible searching, which took forever, was one of the main reasons I quit. While I could just pop out of Entourage and search with Spotlight in the Finder, I want to know if Entourage itself, the app, has improved its own search capabilities, because I don't want to be switching back and forth all the time.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 12:42 AM

From this screenshot it doesn't appear to be part of the search function built into Entourage. Looks like they just made the e-mail database searchable by Spotlight. Oh well...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrmister
Andy8, I don't understand--what I'm asking is, has is Entourage using Spotlight inside itself for its own searches? When I used Entourage, its terrible searching, which took forever, was one of the main reasons I quit. While I could just pop out of Entourage and search with Spotlight in the Finder, I want to know if Entourage itself, the app, has improved its own search capabilities, because I don't want to be switching back and forth all the time.
mrmister - sorry I did not read your post properly. It still searches the same from within the app, which is a pain to me, because I have so many folders i keep mail in, with spotlight it searches the whole database at once.

nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 08:50 AM

Happy day. Entourage (which I stopped using years ago) finally added sync services that allow me to synchronize it with .Mac. I have been wanting to get back to Entourage since many of my PC using clients occasionally have trouble opening documents I send through Mail.app. Adding support for Sync services makes it more likely I will switch back.

Adding to the joy is Mac support for Plaxo (http://www.plaxo.com/). Now, people who subscribe to Plaxo and keep their information up to date will be up to date in my Address Book, which now synchronizes with Entourage.

Only one complaint: I cannot figure out how to get Entourage to synchronize with my existing iCal calendars. Any clues?
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by nemanirc
Only one complaint: I cannot figure out how to get Entourage to synchronize with my existing iCal calendars. Any clues?
Same here, it didn't pull over any of my existing iCal entries/calendars.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 01:01 PM

In the light of all this I may reconsider Entourage again. After MUCH deliberation I stopped using it a few months back in favour of the Aple apps. Which I have to say I really do like now, particulary mail. Although I miss being able to colour code things.

The last straw was when Entourage quit on me and lost ALL of my information. I had backed up not too long before that but I still lost some stuff.

I later found out that there was a 2 or 4 Gb limit, but REALLY!!

Anyway I didn't want to rant about that....the function of being able to search my archived database is pretty valuable as there is some tidying up of a project I need to do. All the info is in Entourage and let's face it the search function was appaling.

So perhaps this is good news.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by nemanirc
If you add something to your Entourage calendar it will create an "Entourage" calendar within iCal and add the same event there. Anything you do in that particular calendar in iCal will be synced back to Entourage. So it appears that this one iCal calendar is the "link" between the two applications. It works for me because I only have work related stuff in Entourage so I just moved all my work related appointments and tasks to the "Entourage" calendar in iCal and deleted the existing calendar. Everything syncs just fine bi-directionally.

Having said that, it might be disappointing to those who use multiple calendars in iCal and would like to do the same in Entourage. It seems like Entourage doesn't really have the concept of multiple calendars. It does have "categories", which is similar but not exactly the same thing. So I suppose it kinda makes sense that the one Entourage calendar is only synced to one iCal calendar. But anyhoo, that appears to be what's going on.

OAW

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 07:15 PM

"mrmister - sorry I did not read your post properly. It still searches the same from within the app, which is a pain to me, because I have so many folders i keep mail in, with spotlight it searches the whole database at once."

No problem--but that is a massive disappointment. Between not having Spotlight searching within the app and Entourage only understanding one calendar in iCal (what?) it's basically a crippled implentation--if I'd never used iCal or Mail, I might enjoy the extra benefits, but there's no way anyone who uses more than one calendar with anyone else can migrate to Entourage.

Disappointing.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 08:00 PM

Entourage. What? Who?

Forum Links
Forum Rules