Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who rides a bike with their MacBook?

Who rides a bike with their MacBook?
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 05:32 PM

So, I've got this MacBook, which I'm loving (and currently using to avoid schoolwork), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring it to campus with me.

I ride a bike (~1.5 mi each way), and usually use Arkel's brilliant The Bug. It's a backpack that converts into a pannier, so I can bring my piles of book to school firmly attached to my rear rack, and then stick 'em on my back when I go indoors or need to walk around.

On the few occasions that I'd ride somewhere with my old PowerBook, I would carry it in a pack on my back, because my knees add lots of shock absorption, compared to just my bike (which, without suspension, only absorbs shock in the tires).

So, am I being paranoid? Does anyone carry their laptop with a pannier or otherwise attached to their bike without suspension? Or should I keep carrying mine on my back? And if so, do folks know of the smallest possible shoulder bag for a MacBook? I'd like to be able to keep using the Bug and shove my laptop bag into it when I get off the bike.

Thanks in advance.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 05:43 PM

I carry a laptop in a bike pannier and lot, and have never had any problems. In theory, there is more shock going into it, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 06:00 PM

Get AppleCare and don't worry about it. If something vibrates apart and you have don't anything that would be considered beyond normal use you are fine.

I ride often with mine on a backpack, that includes motorcycles, and motor-cross bikes(only once) and have yet to had a problem. My MacBook as good as new thanks to my AppleSac and Invisisheild rip off and if I run into problems I always have 3(or so) years of Applecare left.

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I carry a laptop in a bike pannier and lot, and have never had any problems. In theory, there is more shock going into it, but I don't think it's a big deal.
Good to hear. Maybe I'll just get a sleeve then. For how long do you own a laptop, on average?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 06:40 PM

I had a Thinkpad for about 3 years, and a powerbook for about 2 - even had the pannier bounce off the bike with the TP in it once, none the worse for wear...

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 06:59 PM

I ride a motorcycle with my MacBook in a backpack. Once i've swapped my bike over i'll be looking to put it in a top box.

No problems so far...

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 10:29 PM

I suppose I should've specified "bicycle" instead of just "bike". I wonder what the difference in shock is between a motorcycle and a bicycle. While the former go way faster, they also have lots more suspension in the forms of fancier shock absorbers and comparatively huge tires.

Anyway, thanks to all for the responses. I'll probably just go get a sleeve and use the backpack until I get a little less nervous.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 12:46 AM

I sometimes bring my Mac with me on my bike (hybrid road/mountain bike), but most of the time it's in my backpack which I put behind my back, rather than putting it in my panniers -- not enough padding, I feel. So far it's survived my excursions.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 02:48 AM

I've ridden with my PowerBook in my padded sleeve which was in my messenger bag which was in my pannier, but only a couple of times and I worried the whole time. No problems, though. I think there are companies that make laptop backpacks that sort of suspend the computer with straps and padding. (I've seen only reviews, so I'm not able to explain it very well.) Maybe one was by Tom Bihn?

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 02:47 PM

Arkel makes a pannier (the Commuter model) that supposedly has extra suspension for laptops, though it doesn't convert into a backpack. I definitely prefer a backpack to a shoulder bag once I'm off the bike. I'm realizing that one more option I have is to keep the computer in a bag on my back and put any other books and such in my regular pannier. Of course that involves a lot of transferring stuff back and forth.

I think I'll probably stick with using a sleeve in the Bug and trying not to hop curbs too hard..

Forum Links
Forum Rules