Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Radar / Laser Detectors

Radar / Laser Detectors (Page 4)
downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 15, 2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
And yet you're intentionally being as obnoxious as possible

Here's a simpler theory, and it fits the evidence better: you're selfish. That's all. You sacrifice the safety and convenience of others for your own gain. And rather than feel guilty about this, you make up long complicated illogical grasping-at-straws justifications in order to fool yourself into thinking you're not simply being a bad person.
Uh... wait, what? How is honking/flicking lights behind someone who REFUSES to obey "slower traffic keep right" sacrificing anybody's safety? I already told you I don't tailgate. I just want people to move over, when they can. If they're passing someone, I don't bother them. But as soon as they have a chance to move over, I flick my lights, twice, in quick succession. 80% of the time people move over. The other 20% of the time they're driving SUVs.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 15, 2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Here's the biggest problem with your simple rule: way too many jerks believe that I should somehow magically disappear when they're behind me, whether I have a place to go or not, whether I am able to go faster or not.

On the other hand, I've been all too happy to get out of the way of such jerks when the opportunity presents itself. I particularly like to do this when I have seen the rolling state police car ahead but the guy with his headlights flashing in my rear view mirror has not. I think of it as karma, really.

The biggest problem with the driver selecting what he/she chooses as his/her top speed is that there aren't enough people on the road who are safe at the posted speed limit, let alone more than 5 MPH faster than that. Here in San Antonio, it seems like 90% of the drivers learned how to drive by watching sitcoms. In Romanian. Without subtitles. So many people here really are that bad. In general, I let people who want to go faster than I am going, which will seldom be much over the posted limit.

I do not like paying more for car insurance, nor the legal threat of losing my license for "minor" offenses. I have ONE moving offense in the last 30 years, and that's because of confusing speed limit signs. That record gets me lower rates, and I want to keep it that way.
I don't harass drivers who are held up by someone in front of them. Again, it's courtesy. I believe in being a polite driver. When I see someone coming up behind me, and I'm in the passing lane (and passing a group of cars, otherwise I'd be in the right lane!), I will speed up, move over and let them pass me.

I had a TON of moving violations when I drove my old neon, which had aftermarket wheels and a windshield banner (that said windshield). When I sold that and got my SVX, I had... one moving violation, in Illinois, because I was stuck behind a dump truck flinging rocks at my car for 15 minutes, and was not able to pass him, so when I was finally able to, I floored it to try to get around him, with a police officer on the side of the road shooting radar. With my Accord, no tickets. With my Prelude, no tickets. With my Civic, no tickets.

I'm not driving like an asshole guys. I'm just annoying people who are being assholes themselves, and refusing to yield to faster traffic, which is common courtesy.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Uh... wait, what? How is honking/flicking lights behind someone who REFUSES to obey "slower traffic keep right" sacrificing anybody's safety?
Speeding, causing intentional distraction, cutting people off in order to do exactly the same you accuse them of doing...

80% of the time people move over. The other 20% of the time they're driving SUVs.
The SUVs are just less vulnerable to you killing them directly.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2010, 04:52 PM

I'm not driving like an asshole guys. I'm just annoying people who are being assholes themselves, and refusing to yield to faster traffic, which is common courtesy.
Those people aren't being assholes. They're just annoying you for being an asshole yourself, by refusing to obey the speed limit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2010, 05:29 PM

You're a bully, Rob.

You think you know better, you think you drive better, and you're out to teach a lesson - you're a bully and an asshole, and people will react by provoking you, at least those that don't assume you have a 12-gauge behind the driver's seat, and figure out that you're completely impotent to do anything at all as long as they follow the law.

If you're stupid enough to break it with your bullying (strobes, whatever), they've got YOU by the balls and teach YOU a lesson you're apparently never gonna learn.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2010, 06:00 PM

It's a simple concept. If someone is going faster than you, MOVE OVER. If you are going faster than someone else, they should move over for you. If everyone adhered to such a simple, easy rule, there would be less traffic jams, less road rage, and less people on the road at any given moment, because people like yourself would not be holding up a string of 10-15 cars that are waiting to pass you.

That sign is called COMMON COURTESY, which, in my eyes, is MUCH more important than some arbitrary speed limit. I posted a link on the last page, that basically says the speed limit is about 10 mph slower than most people drive, so I really don't care what the speed limit says. I drive as fast as I feel comfortable and safe driving. On a highway, in my civic, that is about 90mph. I've upgraded the wheels/tires/brakes/suspension so 90mph is about as fast as I want to go. 4 months ago, when it was stock, I only liked cruising at about 70mph. In my SVX, I was content to cruise at 110mph. And I bet in a BMW 850, I'd be content to cruise at 130mph.
The problem with your idea is that by your description you can't do both of these without breaking the law. If somebody is in the left lane doing the speed limit while still passing traffic on the right, I see no reason to complain. How can you be cross at somebody for being within the law? If they are doing the speed limit but going slower than the right lanes, they should move over as soon as possible, and if they aren't moving over, then sure, flash your lights a couple of times, maybe tap on the horn. But don't become an M3 driver.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2010, 06:41 PM

Guys, stop discouraging Rob. This has the potential to become truly epic. Let it play out.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Aug 15, 2010, 07:12 PM

Is there a single person on here who agrees with him regarding his sign, honking, cutting people off, and installing strobes with the intent of impersonating an emergency vehicle?

Anyone?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2010, 09:41 PM

I'm hearing crickets here, Railorader... As in an empty stadium otherwise filled with silence...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Aug 15, 2010, 09:47 PM

"Railorader" will be my next username here. Just kidding, I appreciate your post though.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2010, 10:31 PM

STupbser finggers! Need sleep I guess.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 16, 2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The problem with your idea is that by your description you can't do both of these without breaking the law. If somebody is in the left lane doing the speed limit while still passing traffic on the right, I see no reason to complain. How can you be cross at somebody for being within the law?
I'm not. I've already said this like 6 ****ing times. If someone is passing, I just wait patiently for them to pass. But when they are going slower than the right lane, or just driving right next to someone for like 2 minutes, I enter into "annoy stupid driver mode". Ever heard the term "shit or get off the pot"? Same goes for passing a car. It should not take 2 minutes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 16, 2010, 08:51 AM

I'm not driving like an asshole guys.
Clearly.

I hope I piss all of them off and make them have bad days.
If you do that to me I pass you, cut you off, and then go 5-10mph slower than you until you move into the correct lane.
Exactly why I don't mind annoying the @#($U@#$(U out of them
Fortunately you've been able to rationalize away all of this as "omg they like totally deserve it."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 09:09 AM

Newsflash: The faster you drive doesn't increase the amount of right of way you have.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Newsflash: The faster you drive doesn't increase the amount of right of way you have.
I got a flash for you joy boy - the faster you drive not only increases the amount of right of way you have, but actually deposits extra right of way credit in an interest bearing right of way fund located in Swaziland.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I got a flash for you joy boy - the faster you drive not only increases the amount of right of way you have, but actually deposits extra right of way credit in an interest bearing right of way fund located in Swaziland.
I thought its was Lala land.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2010, 10:16 AM

As long as it's not Switzerland - they have incredible fees for speeding.

A guy just had his AMG SLS impounded for doing 290 in a 120 zone - he's facing a fine of up to about a million dollars.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2010, 10:21 AM

The Swiss hate cars.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 10:28 AM

I also have a big sign that says "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" that I can hold up as well.
Now I really want a video of his commute.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
As long as it's not Switzerland - they have incredible fees for speeding.

A guy just had his AMG SLS impounded for doing 290 in a 120 zone - he's facing a fine of up to about a million dollars.
it should be noted that the Swiss also base the fine on income.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 11:11 AM

Had the cruise control set to 45 last night. Got pulled over and the cop gave me a ticket for going 58 in a 40. I am absolutely certain my speedometer didn't go over 50, let alone 58. This ever happen to anyone? It was nearly 1:30am. Cop also kept asking if I had "illegal drugs or alcohol" in the car. Of course I don't.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

andi*pandi
Aug 16, 2010, 12:20 PM

Were there other cars near you that perhaps suddenly slowed down? I had a friend get nailed for something similar, in a pack of cars and someone else zooms up and then slows down, the radar can't tell which car.

I had a radar detector once. It was great for finding microwaves.

A friendly blink of the headlights once in a while to indicate desire to pass can be ok, but strobe-flashing, honking, tailgating, etc is just annoying.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 12:22 PM

I was the last car in a line of them going along a winding road. If I was speeding then the rest of them must have been doing it also.

I just faxed the ticket to a traffic lawyer. I don't live in this area and won't be able to fight it. The lawyer costs less than the ticket does.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 12:26 PM

Obviously this is because you're black.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 01:41 PM

I happen to be pretty white.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 01:43 PM

I knew that joke would go over your head.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 01:54 PM

Oh. I don't like race jokes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 01:59 PM

That's alright, you weren't the target audience.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
A friendly blink of the headlights once in a while to indicate desire to pass can be ok, but strobe-flashing, honking, tailgating, etc is just annoying.
This.

I mean - installing strobes in the car to 'flash' other drivers? Keeping a road sign in the car to 'show'? Who does that? There's enough road rage to go around out there - why add to it with premeditated road rage? Sheesh.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 16, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
So is flat out refusing to move over for faster traffic.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 16, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
This.

I mean - installing strobes in the car to 'flash' other drivers? Keeping a road sign in the car to 'show'? Who does that? There's enough road rage to go around out there - why add to it with premeditated road rage? Sheesh.
Sign = communicating to other drivers why you're annoyed with them, and reinforcing the signs posted that say "slower traffic keep right". By constantly reinforcing this message, people will stick to the right more. It's not rage, rage = flipping people the bird and tailgating and whatnot. I'm just honking, pointing at the sign, and smiling. Sarcastically. Because they're dumb.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2010, 02:26 PM

The cure is worse than the disease.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 03:36 PM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2010, 04:05 PM

How about getting pulled over while doing 75 in a 55 (I was) and being asked to buy FOP fundraiser tickets? I bought 10 of them. That's gotta be some type of blackmail.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 05:08 PM

Sign = communicating to other drivers why you're annoyed with them, and reinforcing the signs posted that say "slower traffic keep right". By constantly reinforcing this message, people will stick to the right more. It's not rage, rage = flipping people the bird and tailgating and whatnot. I'm just honking, pointing at the sign, and smiling. Sarcastically. Because they're dumb.
Getting annoyed is understandable. Everyone gets annoyed. And - it's quite possible that the other driver is dumb - or, they might be having a bad day and made an honest mistake. Your problem here is assuming everyone's driving habits revolve around YOU and YOUR immediate idea of 'courtesy'.

When you get annoyed, and feel the need to demonstrate your annoyance externally, including going to lengths such as carrying props around, you, sir, have crossed the line into rage. Let it go. Your quixotic quest to educate the travelers on I-94 doesn't have the result you think it does. Know what people are 'learning' from your antics? '(Spoken into cellphone while cruising in the left lane) Hey, there's some fag in a foreign car behind me flashing his lights and honking. What an asshat! Wait, what'd that sign say? I couldn't see it. Oh well. What a moron! (Resume previous cell phone conversation.)'

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 16, 2010, 08:25 PM

Sign = communicating to other drivers why you're annoyed with them, and reinforcing the signs posted that say "slower traffic keep right". By constantly reinforcing this message, people will stick to the right more.
And you have data to back up this statement? Or this thought just helps you rationalize driving like an asshole?

It's not rage, rage = flipping people the bird and tailgating and whatnot.
Aren't you the guy that was bragging about how badass you are because you flip off H2 owners?

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 PM

Maybe someone has already contacted the proper authorities in that area to be on the lookout for Rob.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Aren't you the guy that was bragging about how badass you are because you flip off H2 owners?
And taking pictures of it.

Remember that time he bragged about pulling out some throwing stars and licking them over a driving incident. Good times.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 17, 2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And you have data to back up this statement? Or this thought just helps you rationalize driving like an asshole?
I drive the same route all the time. I pass the same people who are driving the same route all the time. Some of them are now "driving" in the right lane now. Others who have suffered the wrath of 118db Hella horns and headlights have also gotten better at moving over. I recognize familiar cars... theres a black red mazda 3, there's a neon with a silver hood, etc etc etc.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 17, 2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
Maybe someone has already contacted the proper authorities in that area to be on the lookout for Rob.
I'm sure they have.

So far people on this forum have :

1. Reported me to the SS.
2. Sent a link to my GF with the thread about her.

So it'll be no surprise that some low life piece of shit would do that. But I don't really care. I know all the cops tricks, and all their spots. They can't catch me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The Swiss hate cars.
No - the Swiss hate assholes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Your problem here is assuming everyone's driving habits revolve around YOU and YOUR immediate idea of 'courtesy'.
His problem is assuming that the entire world works that way.

Narcissism

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I sat there staring like an idiot at the first line for maybe 30 seconds, wondering what the hell “ia toi ma i” is supposed to mean, before I made it to the second line and and figured it out.

I believe you owe me thirty seconds, sir.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I believe you owe me thirty seconds, sir.
What would we do?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 09:28 AM

They can't catch me.
Famous last words.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2010, 09:46 AM

"I'm not a tuna!" was pretty famous too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM

I drive the same route all the time. I pass the same people who are driving the same route all the time. Some of them are now "driving" in the right lane now. Others who have suffered the wrath of 118db Hella horns and headlights have also gotten better at moving over. I recognize familiar cars... theres a black red mazda 3, there's a neon with a silver hood, etc etc etc.
So no real data, but just your very biased perceptions. Gotcha.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
What would we do?
Dangerous question, young man.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
"I'm not a tuna!" was pretty famous too.
besson, is that you?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I sat there staring like an idiot at the first line for maybe 30 seconds, wondering what the hell “ia toi ma i” is supposed to mean, before I made it to the second line and and figured it out.
That'll teach ya for doin' too much learnin'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules