Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > maximum heat tolerance

maximum heat tolerance
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2004, 09:33 PM

What do you think is the maximum temperature that the ibook g4 can reach before it is officially "burnt out" and the displays go screwy? You can measure your heat with a program called "temperature monitor." If you search inside this forum you can find a link. Anyways I am running that and the loud fan comes on at 155degrees F. Every time I run an intense program, about 20 minutes later this ibook reaches 155F and the loud fan can be heard hard at work. I am afraid of the insides getting messed up if I keep this up. I currently have the ibook on a wooden desk with nothing underneath it. Does something like the coolpad or podiumpad really make that much of a difference? Anything cheaper or any other convential method of helping the ibook keep cool. Wow this machine is so amazing and this is also my first mac. I am pleased with it in every way but that is why I worry about the heat. Thanks for any imput.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Jan 3, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by cold aspiration:
What do you think is the maximum temperature that the ibook g4 can reach before it is officially "burnt out" and the displays go screwy? You can measure your heat with a program called "temperature monitor." If you search inside this forum you can find a link. Anyways I am running that and the loud fan comes on at 155degrees F. Every time I run an intense program, about 20 minutes later this ibook reaches 155F and the loud fan can be heard hard at work. I am afraid of the insides getting messed up if I keep this up. I currently have the ibook on a wooden desk with nothing underneath it. Does something like the coolpad or podiumpad really make that much of a difference? Anything cheaper or any other convential method of helping the ibook keep cool. Wow this machine is so amazing and this is also my first mac. I am pleased with it in every way but that is why I worry about the heat. Thanks for any imput.
Can I ask what program you're using to get those types of temperatures, because I usually freak out when I see my iBook up above 110F.

As for the those cool pads I don't have much faith in them either and I would also like to hear from someone that actually bought one.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 01:49 AM

Well I can usually get my temp around 105 with simple safari and aim but when i use a snes emulator to play chrono trigger, the heat goes blazing up, thats without any other program on. I usually hit 125 as a max when i just use itunes, aim, safari... someties appleworks. But yeah, i just tried playing the emulator with the big fan blazing and the temp steadily went down to around 147 from 155. I still don't like it because the consistent high heat might do something.

Yeah I tried mimicking the coolpad and podium pad with some boxes and I got the position nearly exact and the temp really didn't vary at all. I was watching temperature monitor the whole time. I found it much comfortable for some reason with the ibook positioned that way but didn't have enough faith in my rickity creation to use it full time. I might buy the pad or something just so i can have it positioned that way

Forum Links
Forum Rules