Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stupid 12" RAM!

Stupid 12" RAM!
Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 06:27 PM

I bought a 12" with the default 256MB RAM, thinking I would use my own 256MB chip that I had salvaged from my other computer to replace the 128.
But wait! the 12" uses some other kind of ram, not the standard 133! Is there some good reason for this I don't know? I'd like to not be angry at Apple over this...
you are not your signature

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:
I bought a 12" with the default 256MB RAM, thinking I would use my own 256MB chip that I had salvaged from my other computer to replace the 128.
But wait! the 12" uses some other kind of ram, not the standard 133! Is there some good reason for this I don't know? I'd like to not be angry at Apple over this...
how could you be a moderator and not know the answer to this question?? Maybe it's just me...but anyone who *can* install their own RAM, *should* know why they are different??
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 07:11 PM

Well lets see you being a jerk helps the problem.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 07:11 PM

I have to agree with pamelah.
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 07:18 PM

Offensive post deleted by poster. Sorry.
( Last edited by PeterKG; Apr 11, 2003 at 09:31 PM. )

Gametes  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 07:19 PM

Whoa. Strong reactions there guys. You're making me blush. I'm not sure how my being a jerk can make the ram requirements of a machine vary, but if that's your explanation...

I don't know enough about ram apparently; the bus speed on this machine is 133, and I thought that meant they were the same (as the ram which is 133).
Yes, I should have looked closer at the tech specs before I opted not to buy the apple ram, but this comes as an unexpected surprise to me.

My question remains: what is the determining factor of the PB architecture that makes it require a ram chip different from the one the iBook requires?

Edit: no, not anyone can be a moderator. you have to be moderate; not any old jerk with a keyboard can be one. Knowledge is only one characteristic, and mine happens to be elsewhere is all.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2003, 07:32 PM

I don't think the "jerk" comment was directed at you.

The problem is that the new powerbooks use DDR RAM which is faster (and more expensive) than the RAM used in older powerbooks and ibooks. The 17" and 12" are the first Mac portables to do this.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:

The problem is that the new powerbooks use DDR RAM which is faster (and more expensive) than the RAM used in older powerbooks and ibooks. The 17" and 12" are the first Mac portables to do this.
Correct, the new PowerBooks use DDR RAM, as opposed to the 15" PowerBook and the iBooks, which use standard SO-DIMM SDRAM.

In "defense" to the second poster, I would assume that since you are a moderator, you're capable of doing the small amount of research required to find the answer to your question.

But that's just me.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 08:32 PM

I didn't know Pc-133 was "standard" ram... I'll have to keep that in mind.

But really man.. wow.. you didn't happen miss that hole thing where Apple is now using DDR.. I meen. there was only like a little bit of bitching about Apple and DDR for quite some time.
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Gametes  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 09:17 PM

I did look in the forums for "different ram" and various things like that before I posted here, but it looks like I missed the one thread that would have answered my question within the constraints of "small amount of research". I didn't know what I was looikng for, which is the whole DDR thing. Yes, I did miss the whole parade about this, as I didn't start frequenting this forum until the day I got my PB; before this I stayed pretty much in the iBook and OS X forum, where I don't recall seeing anything.

Anyway: iCruise, thanks for the civil, non-patronizing, and informative response. I'm surprised this wasn't played up more by Apple, as it seems a big deal.
I just asumed SO-Dimm (what I meant with the standard shpeal) was standard, as it was before.

Thanks again, and I'm sorry that I've upset so many of you who are upset by questions from someone you feel should know the answer!

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 09:30 PM

I'm sorry for my remark Gametes. It wasn't called for. Please forgive me. You can moderate me any day. Hell, you probably have the power to delete me!

Gametes  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 09:35 PM

lol, no, I'm a mod in the ibook forum.
Flame away!
I just won't get angry.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2003, 10:23 PM

For the record, WAY too many people are WAY too quick to go for each others' throats.

It's RAM, people, not life and death.

DDR is a 200pin format, SDR (iBook, TiBook) is a 144pin format.

Sorry, they're not compatible. At least this is better than using the same number of pins and placing a notch in a different location (think SDR/EDO/FP variants in the 168pin desktop format.)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
For the record, WAY too many people are WAY too quick to go for each others' throats.
Agreed.

eightoeight
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 12:15 AM

He simply wanted help...not to be crusified...

Being a modertator doesn't mean your omnipotent.

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by eightoeight:
He simply wanted help...not to be crusified...

Being a modertator doesn't mean your omnipotent.
Learn how to spell dumb ass!!! cruCified.

hehe only kidding.

Just feeding on the inflammatory nature of the this thread's responses. It's pretty funny that even a mac forum can be just as volatile as a ricer car forum. I know why... probably penis envy.... same type of "my car is faster than yours" machismo fueled by a lot of pent up frustration about how even a $3000 powermac can have processor shortcomings compared to a peecee that's costs half as much. Yeah, that's gotta be it. What else is new?

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 03:32 PM

hmm ... who cares what a person is .. sometimes we want answers quick so hmm if someone just answerd his QS in the first time thistread would not have been this long nor got ppl fighting 2gether so chill and relax!

Forum Links
Forum Rules