Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Scanned Photographs

Scanned Photographs
Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 12:24 PM

I have some photos that I scanned at home on my wife's PC, saved as jpegs (high quality). They look good on the PC under Win98 and BeOS. They also look good at work, where we run WinNT 4.

On my iMac and my new Cube, the images seem very light, lind of washed. I have tried modifing the monitor settings to no avail. Images not scanned on the PC look lighter as well, though not as much.

Is this a Mac problem?

Thanks,

Agent69
Agent69

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 12:55 PM

What program are you using to view them?
Don't different apps decompress the JPEGs differently?
Try using Photoshop or something to view them.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 02:34 PM

Quicktime Picture Viewer

Agent69
Agent69

runningdog
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2000, 06:00 PM

i don't think its a software problem. Mac monitors are brighter than PC monitors. This is a fact you have to deal with when you work with webpage images - having to find the right display balance for images across the different platforms.

You can adjust the light levels in Photoshop then save it as a Mac corrected file.

Or you could recalibrate your Mac monitor using the Monitor Control Panel (under the Color settings) to duplicate the projection of a PC monitor. Then you just save those settings and you could always jump between settings as needed.

jzaw
Oct 15, 2000, 09:32 PM

pc screens and mac screens are setup with different gamma settings 2.2 for pcs and 1.8 for macs that is why the photos look different on your mac screen
also you may not be using a coloursync aware application to create yourjpgs or view your pics

have you set up your colour sync in the monitors panel?

try opening the jpgs in photoshop and see if you can convert the embedded coloursync profile to your monitors profile that should do the trick

hope this helps

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

Forum Links
Forum Rules