Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDVD & Toast 5

iDVD & Toast 5
Alain-Pierre BECHET
Feb 2, 2001, 09:24 AM

Hi,

It seems that :
1/ iDVD can create all the structure of a DVD
2/ Toast 5 will be capable of burning DVDs on a simple CD-R; not that long, sure, but a good bunch of minutes...

So, the question is : will it be possible to make "small DVDs" on simple CD-R, with a simple CD burner ?
Imagine : iMovie => iDVD => Toast 5...

Great !

------------------

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Alain-Pierre BECHET:
Hi,

It seems that :
1/ iDVD can create all the structure of a DVD
2/ Toast 5 will be capable of burning DVDs on a simple CD-R; not that long, sure, but a good bunch of minutes...

So, the question is : will it be possible to make "small DVDs" on simple CD-R, with a simple CD burner ?
Imagine : iMovie => iDVD => Toast 5...

Great !

Where did you read that Toast 5 will make DVDs?

One of Toast 5's new features is its ability to burn "VIDEO CDs" without any additional software. The earlier versions of Toast were able to make Video CDs but you needed to create the files with some other software, now Roxio is including an MPEG encoder to convert your QuickTime compatible movies (including a plug-in to go directly from iMovie to Toast to VCD, as I was told by a Roxio rep at Macworld last month) to the MPEG format for Video CDs. These will not be DVDs, but most DVD players can play VCDs. (If your DVD player can play a CD-R Audio CD, then it will probably be able to play a CD-R Video CD. See the link below.)

Video CDs are not the same quality as DVDs. Each 650MB CD can hold about an hour of video and stereo sound. Most commercial Video CDs of movies come on two CDs. This is a really great feature, I've been investigating making some Video CDs for a while but the software to encode files to the correct MPEG-1 format are all $999+.

Check out: http://vcdhelper.com/dvdplayers.php
It is a list of many DVD players and their compatiblitiy with CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, Audio CD, MP3 and other disks. The reports are sent in by readers. Since the announcement of iDVD and Apple's DVD-R disks a new choice of "DVDR" has appeared in their features list.

Apple's iDVD software will probably only work with the new SuperDrive, so it wouldn't be necessary to use Toast after creating a DVD layout (we'll just see what happens when Pioneer starts selling the same DVD-R drive as an external option for a reported $995!).

-Doug

[This message has been edited by GreenMnM (edited 02-02-2001).]

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 05:03 AM

Toast 5 will incorporate Toast DVD, enabling the creation of DVDs without needing a separate application.

I don't know what KIND of DVDs (data, music or video) it can create, nor have I heard of being able to create a DVD (even a very small one) on a CDR. I will greet this feature happily, though I can't think how useful it would be - I should think a CDR with the capacity of 700mb would only hold a few minutes of DVD video.

elvisripley
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2001, 03:59 AM

If you used iDVD you probably couldn't fit much on the cd but if you used DVD Studio Pro and compressed the video much more than normal then you could fit an hour or so and still have pretty good quality.
http://elvisripley.com

Yuri1419
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2001, 04:09 PM

Yes, but would that be "seen" as a DVD by a player? I'm expecting the problem to be in th 650meg vs (I forget how many) gig media.... it would probably "know", I predict.

But it would be cool if I was wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules