Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > While starting up I want to play sound...

While starting up I want to play sound...
altivec
Mar 15, 2000, 11:56 PM

Long, long time ago, ohhhh 3, 4 years ago there was this mysterious control panel/extension set called 'the sync' or whatever. this control panel made me play a system sound file during startup (extension loading...) i can't find any program similar to that. i have this startup player shareware control panel, but this repeats the sound file over, and over. makes it annoying... is there anything that would make me play a sound file once???

PappaBear
Mar 16, 2000, 02:27 PM

You could always drop the sound file, or an alias to it in the startup items folder. It wont play during the loading of extensions, but it will play when the finder loads. I remember the extension you are talking about, what would be really nice is if you could replace the default mac startup chime with your own. But that would require edditing the ROMs I've been told. Does anyone know if it is stored in the MacOS ROM file in the system folder now? or if it's still in the hardware ROM?

wilvc
Mar 16, 2000, 03:09 PM

I'm not *absolutely* sure, but it strikes me that since the Mac makes the first startup chime before the disk is accessed, it makes a certain amount of sense to assume that the chime is in the hardware ROM. There was a rumor on Macosrumors awhile back that Apple was working on a new, more impressive, stero-imaged startup sound for the UMA-2 Macs, but that's neither here not there.

NilesDonegan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 03:18 PM

I have this old (1993) extension called Noises (from David Catmull) running during my startup. It randomizes whatever set of sounds you put in its folder, which for me are all the sound quotes from Alpha Centauri Obviously, if only one sound was wanted, only one sound would be put in its folder!
It unfortunately stops the system from loading while the sound plays, but clicking on the extension it stops mid-word.
Also, I couldn't find it again after I originally downloaded it, but it's 16k, so I could send it along if need be.

Niles
[email protected]

aarroneous
Mar 16, 2000, 06:08 PM

I highly recommend the control panel utility called Kaboom! I think it's still not PPC native, but it still runs on 9600/452 G3 with OS 9. It allows for a startup sound when it loads itself (extension march), as well as when the finder loads, when a window opens or closes, etc etc. Extremely configurable. Also allows you to modify the volume of the sound if you have some samples of varying quality.

kupakai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 08:30 PM

I think you are talking about "A Sync" it's at http://www.scruz.net/~gosborn/oes/index.html

altivec  (op)
Mar 17, 2000, 01:31 AM

yes!!! that's the one... he hasn't upgrade it since. still the original file... but i'm going to try it now. i wanted a utility that would load a sound DURING startup (extensions loading). after the finder loads, especially when i throw a sys sound file in the startups folder, i have to wait and that's not fun...

i just want some flexibility and change when i startup, like i change the startup screen a lot and just want a some audio that went with it....

about the startup chime, i heard from this apple certified tech (actually he's a software programmer) that i know long time ago but he said the sound is built in the chip, processor. i kinda doubt him... but i know it's in the hardware... a rom, somewhere... can't be changed though... that sound is what makes a mac!!!

thanks again guys,
john

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2000, 04:53 AM

You can also do the trick with no extra extensions:

Put your sound, MP3, MID, AIFF, WAV, AVI or MOV in the System Folder and rename it StartupMovie (I am unsure of the capitalization or the spacing, you try it).

Restart your Mac, you'll hear the standard chime.

After some required Quicktime extensions are loaded, StartupMovie will play, audio or video

Playing the movies like this will probably delay your startup time by the number of seconds your mm file has.

altivec  (op)
Mar 18, 2000, 06:15 AM

it does delay startup process...

The starupmovie isn't popular compared to startupscreen, but it is one of the best hidden feature for the macos.

oh and i installed the app and although it hasn't been upgraded for recent versions of the os or qt, the shareware works flawlessly. just rename it to load AFTER quicktime and sound manager. (type letter "t" in front or rename sound manager). no problem!!!

thanks kupakai, i've been looking for this since long, long, time ago!!!

Brian Graham
Mar 18, 2000, 03:19 PM

You can also try a little application/extension combo called SoundStarter. The app creates an extension out of a sound file that will play the sound while extensions are loading. You can d/l it at: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...ndstarter.html

Brian

Mar 18, 2000, 03:37 PM

Hello. I'm Gary Osborn, author of the A Sync program. I'm glad to see there is still interest in my little program. I started an update to it a while back, but never got back to it after I had to do some work to actually make some money. Didn't receive too many registrations for A Sync.

I'd like to update it. If anyone wants to suggest some features they'd like to see added to it, please post a reply (or email me) and let me know. I'll give any reasonable suggestions my consideration.

Thanks,
Gary

<http://www.scruz.net/~gosborn/oes/index.html>
<[email protected]>

gilda
Mar 30, 2000, 07:32 AM

A program named Ultra Recorder will allow you to create sound files called Startup AIFF sound files that will play as your computer starts up. You can either use Ultra Recorder to record the sound or it will convert an exisiting sound to the startup format. The only caveat is that the files it creates have to load after the Sound Manager Extension loads. You can find the program at:
http://members.aol.com/ejc3/Ultra.html

gilda
Mar 30, 2000, 07:33 AM

A program named Ultra Recorder will allow you to create sound files called Startup AIFF sound files that will play as your computer starts up. You can either use Ultra Recorder to record the sound or it will convert an exisiting sound to the startup format. The only caveat is that the files it creates have to load after the Sound Manager Extension loads. You can find the program at:
http://members.aol.com/ejc3/Ultra.html

Sender
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2000, 05:34 PM

I have never been able to get StartupMovie to work, and putting it in the startup items folder is not the way I want it to work/look.

Has any one actually done this with a movie

running an iMacSE 256megs RAM

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2000, 05:46 PM

I have done this sucessfully. I used to have the iMac commercial come up every time my computer started up. Name a file "Startup Movie" (with the space, if you omit the space it will not work) and put it into the System Folder.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules