Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can guys REALLY be bisexual?

Can guys REALLY be bisexual?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

We all know about the double standard that exists with bisexuals: An otherwise decent looking bisexual girl will attract a lot of attention and guys will become very interested in her. If a guy is in the same situation, then all but the most daring girls will be put off at the thought of a relationship with him.

Do you think that bisexual men are automatically pigeon-holed as gay, and thus are no longer able to find normal girls to date?

And do you think that bisexuality even exists amongst men? Most of the bi guys I know have started to identify themselves as gay.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 09:22 PM

Pigeon-holed.®

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 09:23 PM

Would you like a cock in your pigeon hole, Rickey?

('m talking about a ROOSTER, you pervert!)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Do you think that bisexual men are automatically pigeon-holed as gay, and thus are no longer able to find normal girls to date?
Yes, they are pigeon-holed by many (as are bi- and homosexual girls); no, that doesn't mean they can't find 'normal' (define that one, eh?) girls to date. They are not pigeon-holed by all.

And do you think that bisexuality even exists amongst men? Most of the bi guys I know have started to identify themselves as gay.
Yes, I think bisexuality exists just as much among men as it does among women (and I do think it exists among women). If a bisexual guy starts to indentify himself as gay, that's probably because he is gay, then.

I don't think I know (of) more than one or two bisexual guys in my social circles, but they both quite plainly identify themselves as bisexual, not homosexual.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 09:29 PM

Would you like a cock in your pigeon hole, Rickey?

('m talking about a ROOSTER, you pervert!)
Wow, I'm very hot & bothered by all of this teasing.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 09:32 PM

these people have their own "scenes" and they have no trouble finding people who accept them

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2005, 10:00 PM

It appears that bisexuals are marginalized by both straight and gay communities, and it doesn't matter if they're male or female. Sure, lots of guys would "love to party with a bi girl," but the majority of those guys are really only interested in watching two girls play together and some with him.

Straight communities consider bi's to be "gay and won't admit it," while gay communities consider them straights that dabble with gays.

Personally I think that anyone who really is bi has the best of both worlds, and should never have a problem finding someone to dance with, but society in general doesn't see it that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 10:06 PM

There was some research in the news recently that suggested that bisexuality doesn't exist as a true sexual orientation among men. This study used a penile lie detector and found that bi men were aroused at the sight of erotic pictures of one sex but not the other (usually men). Of course, anyone can have sex with anyone else, but men have sex with sheep ferchrissake, that doesn't mean it's a sexual orientation.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 10:12 PM

I don't see why men couldn't be bisexual. Wouldn't think any less of them.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 10:12 PM

In my original post, I didn't really express many of my opinions, so for the record, I think that bisexuality is quite common, and I even have a little theory that quite a large portion of society is bisexual to varying degrees.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 10:17 PM

In my original post, I didn't really express many of my opinions, so for the record, I think that bisexuality is quite common, and I even have a little theory that quite a large portion of society is bisexual to varying degrees.
I second your opinion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 10:18 PM

I think bisexuality is an excuse to have sex with anyone and everyone. I only base this on the bisexuals I have known or encountered. Perhaps if I could meet a true bisexual, I would think otherwise.

I do believe in lovesexual- those that fall in love with someone of a certain sex regardless of their gender...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2005, 10:19 PM

The scientific community is mixed on this. Mainly I think it's because many "scientists" can't isolate their own, deep-down preferences and dislikes enough to ask the right questions the right way. Some see there being basically six distinct orientations (gay, bi and straight in each sex), while others see it all as a continuum from exclusively straight in all facets of life (from dreams and fantasies to active sex partners) all the way to exclusively gay in all facets. Many studies show that these two extremes are exhibited by a relatively small minority, which implies some sort of bell curve, which would imply that the majority would be somewhere halfway between exclusively gay and exclusively straight...And that's bi, isn't it?

BRussell, I've seen other studies where straight men were exposed to gay erotica and many of the more vocally anti-gay subjects reacted more strongly than the less biased subjects. And EVERY subject reacted physically to the images.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 10:38 PM

My first boyfriend was bisexual, but these days he's busy playing family man.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
lovesexual

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2005, 10:43 PM

Bisexuality does exist. Most people don't seem to be completely pegged at one end of the Kinsey scale. The difference is whether or not people are really indifferent as between the genders or not. I can only say unscientifically that while I am ok with the concept, with respect to the actual self-professed bisexual men I have known, they tend to strike me as less than honest about their identity. I.e. a very large number of them that I have encountered seem to be more like gay men with hangups about fully coming out than really people equally attracted to both sexes. I get the impression that they are sexually attracted mostly to men, but socially attracted to appearing to everyone else to be straight. Many seem to eventually get over it and declare themselves to be gay, although I am quite sure they weren't completely ********ting. I'm sure they had some attraction for the opposite sex. Just not quite as much as they (at least the ones I have known) want us to believe.

On the other hand, pretty much every lesbian I have met seems to drift between dating men and women and vice versa and seem totally at ease about the whole thing. Like a lot of people, I suspect homosexuality manifests itself somewhat differently in men and women.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Camali

Let me clarify my own statement, in cases where someone is COMMITTED to a member of either sex, I can understand bisexuality more.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 10:46 PM

I am a male lesbian.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
On the other hand, pretty much every lesbian I have met seems to drift between dating men and women and vice versa and seem totally at ease about the whole thing. Like a lot of people, I suspect homosexuality manifests itself somewhat differently in men and women.
The girls are looking to get love from anywhere they can while the guys are looking to get something to put their tackle into from anywhere they can?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Camali
Why do you think he's "playing"?

I'd consider myself bisexual, and I'm married with 2 kids. A fine man will still turn my head though; but it's very particular. I'm attracted to lots of females, but only a small subset of males. My wife says the same thing (she's very athletic).

Don't ask me. It makes no sense at all.

Actually, it does make sense biologically, if you consider certain research into the variability of testosterone during gestation, and the implications toward sexuality (not to mention unknown environmental considerations). Scientists don't understand it completely, but it's a hot topic (bad-da-bing!).

Take a look on craigslist.org for m2m or w2w relationships if you don't believe me. Many couples are looking for a third to mutually enjoy. The third can be of either gender.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 10:50 PM

90% of the guys I know that call themselves Bi are using it as a gateway term into admitting they are gay.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
90% of the guys I know that call themselves Bi are using it as a gateway term into admitting they are gay.
I need a stat graph on that asap a-ok?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The scientific community is mixed on this. Mainly I think it's because many "scientists" can't isolate their own, deep-down preferences and dislikes enough to ask the right questions the right way. Some see there being basically six distinct orientations (gay, bi and straight in each sex), while others see it all as a continuum from exclusively straight in all facets of life (from dreams and fantasies to active sex partners) all the way to exclusively gay in all facets. Many studies show that these two extremes are exhibited by a relatively small minority, which implies some sort of bell curve, which would imply that the majority would be somewhere halfway between exclusively gay and exclusively straight...
I don't buy this at all. I think it's more down to the commies' need to see everything in shades of grey - which may explain the fact that the scientific community is mixed on this subject. Surely if proper science were involved, instead of biased guessing, then the results would speak for themselves and there'd be no mixed message from the scientific community?

If the above bell curve thing is, in fact, true then I must be at the very extreme "no fashion sense" end of it. The same appears to be true for almost everyone I know (although I obviously have no idea of what they fantasise about).

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
If the above bell curve thing is, in fact, true then I must be at the very extreme "no fashion sense" end of it. The same appears to be true for almost everyone I know (although I obviously have no idea of what they fantasise about).
Umm, yeah...

Curves are all over in science. Binary is the exeption, not the rule.

Especially in chemistry...

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Dec 12, 2005, 11:03 PM

This girl i liked said she was bisexual. Clearly she just wanted attention, saying she was dating a girl. I personally dont belive in bisexuality in the least bit, just another thing to try to gain acceptance. Just a note to anyone who finds a bisexual girl, id suggest keep away!
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Umm, yeah...

Curves are all over in science. Binary is the exeption, not the rule.

Especially in chemistry...
I'm aware of that. I just don't think it applies in this instance. You either fancy blokes or not. Simple as.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 11:09 PM

As SWG said, and as I mentioned above, a lot of people say they are bi and then later come out as gay.

I personally believe that this is because when you start experimenting with the same sex and become bisexual, you are branded as gay, at which point it becomes pointless to try and pursue a relationship with a girl.

This is all conjecture, mind you, but I think there is some truth to it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 11:15 PM

Bisexuality, the ultimate in indecisiveness

Kidding of course, but seriously I think if I were bi I'd probably avoid all the stigmas attached to it and simply not tell anyone, find a girl I liked and settle down and ignore all the crap that goes with it. Besides girls smell way better most of the time.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Besides girls smell way better most of the time.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by SuperChicken
but seriously I think if I were bi I'd probably avoid all the stigmas attached to it and simply not tell anyone
Isn't that what you've been doing all along?

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 11:31 PM

Isn't that what you've been doing all along?
No but it's fun to let you guys think so .

freudling
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 11:34 PM

This thread sux

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 11:51 PM

The scientific community is mixed on this. Mainly I think it's because many "scientists" can't isolate their own, deep-down preferences and dislikes enough to ask the right questions the right way. Some see there being basically six distinct orientations (gay, bi and straight in each sex), while others see it all as a continuum from exclusively straight in all facets of life (from dreams and fantasies to active sex partners) all the way to exclusively gay in all facets. Many studies show that these two extremes are exhibited by a relatively small minority, which implies some sort of bell curve, which would imply that the majority would be somewhere halfway between exclusively gay and exclusively straight...And that's bi, isn't it?

BRussell, I've seen other studies where straight men were exposed to gay erotica and many of the more vocally anti-gay subjects reacted more strongly than the less biased subjects. And EVERY subject reacted physically to the images.
I'm definitely no expert, but my Psyc 101 book endorses the Kinsey scale that Simey mentioned - a continuum of straight to gay with bi in the middle. I really don't believe it. It sounds good, and conforms to the ethos of the time, but that's part of what makes me skeptical, in addition to just my intuition about it. My guess is that sexual orientation is like biological sex: You're one or the other, with maybe a few, very small % of people who are exceptions.

I know which study you're talking about where more homophobes were sexually aroused at gay erotica than non-prejudiced heteros. A cruel study.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Bisexuality, the ultimate in indecisiveness

Kidding of course, but seriously I think if I were bi I'd probably avoid all the stigmas attached to it and simply not tell anyone, find a girl I liked and settle down and ignore all the crap that goes with it. Besides girls smell way better most of the time.
It's just too bad you're fully gay then

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2005, 02:06 AM

For me, at least, who you want to "shack-up" with may be a better determiner.

My sexual arousal can be relatively plastic WRT gender.

I absolutely would not want a man as a SO. It's just not a dynamic that appeals.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2005, 03:10 AM

It appears that bisexuals are marginalized by both straight and gay communities, and it doesn't matter if they're male or female. Sure, lots of guys would "love to party with a bi girl," but the majority of those guys are really only interested in watching two girls play together and some with him.

Straight communities consider bi's to be "gay and won't admit it," while gay communities consider them straights that dabble with gays.

Personally I think that anyone who really is bi has the best of both worlds, and should never have a problem finding someone to dance with, but society in general doesn't see it that way.
being bi sucks, you dont fit in either community. You do have the best of bost worlds but it still sucks.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2005, 03:12 AM

here is how it works

Straight guy cant get a hard on for a guy
Gay guy cant get a hard on for a girl
Bi Guy can get a hard on for both. Try and get a gay guy to sleep with a woman they cringe at the thought. Ask a bi guy to its ok. Clear enough?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by subego
For me, at least, who you want to "shack-up" with may be a better determiner.

My sexual arousal can be relatively plastic WRT gender.

I absolutely would not want a man as a SO. It's just not a dynamic that appeals.
that is much like my view of sexuality--one that includes more than just who you are ****ing. to me, sexuality has both physical & emotional aspects, and each of them can share attraction to either sex & gender, respectively. who you want to **** isn't necessarily who you want to spend your life with. hopefully, everyone can find someone who does satisfy both of those aspects.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 13, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
It's just too bad you're fully gay then
You are a born again Christian that thinks gays are evil.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
here is how it works

Straight guy cant get a hard on for a guy
Gay guy cant get a hard on for a girl
Bi Guy can get a hard on for both. Try and get a gay guy to sleep with a woman they cringe at the thought. Ask a bi guy to its ok. Clear enough?
This is definitly too clear cut. Many of the gay guys I know (including me) have been with a girl at least once. I know several with kids. They can certainly get an erection with a girl, but they don't consider themselves bisexual. Their orientation is definitely towards the same sex.

Sexuality seems to be a continuum, with most people crowded toward one end or the other (mostly, of course, the hetero end). That doesn't mean that everyone is bisexual, but "crowded around" doesn't mean that most people are completely a 1 on a 1 to 10 scale, nor a 10. That means that whether they are willing to admit it or not, many people are capable of being aroused by a gender other than their normal orientation gender in at least some circumstances. We know this anyway from well documented studies that include instances of adolescent experimentation as well as what goes on in artificial same-sex environments like single gender schools, prisons, and so on. It doesn't change their overall orientation. It just ads a nuance to it. That is what confused Kinsey and created the 10% figure that is still cited. The number of people with same-sex experiences is much higher than the number of people who are what we would call gay or bisexual or who if even being completly honest would call themselves gay or bisexual. They just got horny in a circumstance other than the norm for them. Kinsey confused documented behavior for orientation and lumped all those people into the gay or bisexual category when they really don't belong there.

However, that study that BRussell and ghporter have referenced indicates why the fact that heterosexuals can and quite often do exhibit some homosexual tendencies can be a social issue. Homosexuals who find that they have some heterosexual traits aren't likely to be bothered by the fact. But because of the stigma in society, heterosexuals -- especially young male heterosexuals eager to prove their heterosexuality -- are likely to be bothered by it. That also happens to be the overwhelming demographic among gay bashers. Why do they turn so violent? The answer is inside their heads.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 08:15 AM

I've a bi-friend and hes bi because its easier to find men who are just out to have a bit of sex. its harder to find such a woman.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 13, 2005, 08:24 AM

Just because one person has sex with another person, it doesn't mean they are attracted to them. Some people just want to get off. I think some bisexuals are this way.

Ask most college males if they have had sex with a gal they weren't really attracted to.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2005, 08:42 AM

Sexuality seems to be a continuum, with most people crowded toward one end or the other (mostly, of course, the hetero end). That doesn't mean that everyone is bisexual, but "crowded around" doesn't mean that most people are completely a 1 on a 1 to 10 scale, nor a 10. That means that whether they are willing to admit it or not, many people are capable of being aroused by a gender other than their normal orientation gender in at least some circumstances.
Nope, still not buying it.

We know this anyway from well documented studies that include instances of adolescent experimentation as well as what goes on in artificial same-sex environments like single gender schools, prisons, and so on.
Right, so this scientific experiment was carried out on adolescents (who'd get turned on by pencil cases if one looked at them in the right way) and criminals (who're not exactly representative of average behaviour, else they wouldn't be in prison in the first place).

Of course, I only have my experience to draw on here. I've never, ever been turned on by anything remotely male. Not even fantasised about anything male. Heck, I only get turned on by about 5% of the female population.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 13, 2005, 08:46 AM

Yeah the whole 1 to 10 thing. It's an idea. Not something to be taken as fact.

Some people like the idea however, and then treat it as fact. :/

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Of course, I only have my experience to draw on here. I've never, ever been turned on by anything remotely male. Not even fantasised about anything male. Heck, I only get turned on by about 5% of the female population.
It's OK. A small percentage of the population will always be frigid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules