Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Already a "Rev C and D"? MBP owners start scheduling your repairs

Already a "Rev C and D"? MBP owners start scheduling your repairs
jasonv1
Apr 3, 2006, 09:11 PM

I'm not bashing the product mind you, an announcement like this actually clears the way for me to go ahead and get one.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1584

"I spoke with Apple over the weekend, and to my surprise, some of the issues are well known. Known well enough in fact, that Appe has already started addressing these issues in updated MacBook Pros. According to Apple, it has begun replacing the mainboard inside its MacBook Pros with a new revision. It calls the udpated product "revision D", which is identifiable by product serial number.

Serial numbers starting with W8611: revision D
Serial numbers starting with W8610: revision C

Apple said that revision D MacBook Pros have many issues addressed and improvements made, including fixes to the above mentioned issues. We were also able to get a hold of a MacBook Pro that just arrived during the week with a serial number starting with W8612, which did not exhibit any of the above issues. Many users are also reporting that their MacBook Pros become extremely hot to handle, especially in the area above the F keys and underneath the notebook itself. In fact, my MacBook Pro gets so hot that placing it in your hands is almost unbearable, and leaving it on a bare lap is next to impossible. According to Apple, the MacBook Pro should never become hot to the point of being uncomfortable. The representative I spoke to said "that should not happen. If it is, bring back your MacBook Pro and we'll give you an updated version."
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 09:20 PM

You beat me by 5 minutes!

No mention of the "whine" or "buzzing" issue.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 3, 2006, 10:13 PM

This is not a release from Apple. It's bogus crap.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 10:21 PM

They're not 'revisions' in the normal sense in which that's understood. Mine's the 'D' though thank God...

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 10:25 PM

This is a totally bogus story period!

Hey moderator please lock this post!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by skyman

Hey moderator please lock this post!

While I am not calling anyone a liar per say, Apple never refers to anything as "Revision x". That's Rev stuff was made up from the fan base.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 02:04 AM

It woulda been nice if Daily Tech's post was believable. Being the only source to catch wind of this "vital" news seems a bit suspicous. But the whine issue can be easily fixed w/ the cpu threshhold program. Just googe "macbook pro whine fix."

vinster
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 02:05 AM

Complete BS. Apple has been using this serial number designation for years. I'm not sure about the W8 part (location code maybe) but the next three numbers indicate the year and week it was made. W8613 indicates the computer was manufactured in week 13 of 2006.

jasonv1  (op)
Apr 4, 2006, 10:33 AM

My bad.

I decided to log into GSX (Apple service site for partners) and check for sure (something I should have done first).

There are no notes out yet about MBP logic board "updates".
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

Alexey (rus)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:13 PM

whether this is true or not, my version W8613, shipped saturday, and i got monday, does not have a whine and is not even close to being too hot for handle. So im quite happy with my machine. If this isnt true, im glad im one of the lucky ones.

shunsuke
Apr 4, 2006, 05:50 PM

Similarly, my w8612 doesn't whine.

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 06:17 PM

How does anybody define "Too hot" I don't like how hot my MBP can get but I'm not sure it is "too hot" If I put my hand underneath it when the processor is actually doing something I would say I don't want to leave my hand there but I would not say it will burn me if I do. Is there some utility out there that will give you temperature reading to go by?

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 06:27 PM

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 01:55 AM

Mine is definitey not hot to a point where i don't want to handle it except when it is plugged into the AC which then it can fry an egg on the left side. Does this match anyone else's experience?

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 08:08 AM

We are all talking about something that is so subjective. What we need is a utility that gives you temperature readings. Then we can compare apples with apples (no pun intended).

sabrejim
Apr 5, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
Mine is definitey not hot to a point where i don't want to handle it except when it is plugged into the AC which then it can fry an egg on the left side. Does this match anyone else's experience?
Absolutely matches my experience, although I don't know why it happens. Seems to be random to me. When I first got it I used it for a bit no problems with heat, ran even cooler than my PB 12". Then I noticed that it was very hot on the left hand underside. I'll try to quanitfy the hotness... I put my hand there and held it there for 10 seconds and my eyes started to tear. That level of heat happened one other time that I've noticed as well int he 4 days I've head it.

During the extreme bouts of heat, it didnt appear to be under a huge load or even accessing the HD that much, so I'm not sure why it gets to that level. I'd bring it back if I could reliably reproduce the searing heat.

bpcombs
Banned
Apr 5, 2006, 08:26 PM

Mine is definitely burnably hot on the area above the F keys... do I get a replacement?

W8610 - "Rev C"... heh.

I can say from being an Intel insider, Rev C, Rev D - that's Intel designation and Intel terminology for mainboards and motherboards. Rev C is "usually" production. In the case of some Intel desktop boards there are Rev Cs and Rev Ds which have made it into full production and into the mainstream. Given that I've heard rumors that the design for the MacBook Pro was only frozen in late December (and the "speedbump" right before release seems to solidify that line of thought), it's possible it was rushed... the whole Intel rollout seemed rushed for MacWorld to me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 03:51 PM

I'm gonna call BS on this one. My MBP is a W8612. It is hot, it has the whine and it loses the wireless network connection on a regular basis.
•

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 04:21 PM

I think mine gets too hot but I'm reluctant to do anything till it is certain that changing those logic board and sensors makes any difference. If we could get some program that gave us temperature readings we could start comparing to see what is normal and what is not. On mine if I start using the CPU heavily (Parallels comes to mind) the heat I consider just too much. I find it hard to believe Apple would consider this temperature acceptable.

john h
Apr 8, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by vamp07
We are all talking about something that is so subjective. What we need is a utility that gives you temperature readings. Then we can compare apples with apples (no pun intended).
I have been bombarded this week with anti Apple emails appearing to be legit. Often from a Dr. X. Probably have received at least 20 such messages.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by vamp07
I think mine gets too hot but I'm reluctant to do anything till it is certain that changing those logic board and sensors makes any difference. If we could get some program that gave us temperature readings we could start comparing to see what is normal and what is not. On mine if I start using the CPU heavily (Parallels comes to mind) the heat I consider just too much. I find it hard to believe Apple would consider this temperature acceptable.
If it is to HOT to the touch (ie. it burns) then it is NOT normal!

Jean-Loup
Apr 9, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'm gonna call BS on this one. My MBP is a W8612. It is hot, it has the whine and it loses the wireless network connection on a regular basis.
And mine is an 8611 with none of the issues reported. I've had the whine for a few minutes on three occasions in the last three weeks. It does get quite warm under heavy use....but not much more than my old 800 MHz TiBook. Basically, I'm extreemly satisfied with this product. Now if my audio apps can go universal, I'll be in heaven.

Oh, two problems I have had with the MBP: when I updated to 10.4.6 it screwed up my airport reception (couldn't connect) which took about 5 minutes to fix in keychain; and my battery is a teensy bit loose...I'm talking like half a milimeter. I plan to get the battery changed and it should be purrrfect. So all in all, I guess my bigest problem with this MBP is getting used to a slightly smaller keyboard with these big paws of mine.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2006, 01:35 PM

I call BS on this as well -- with solid evidence.

I've owned an 08 revision and now a 12 revision. They are nearly identical. The whine is the same on both, and the mirror widget trick has the same behavior on both.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 03:42 PM

If it is to HOT to the touch (ie. it burns) then it is NOT normal!

I would not say it will burn but I would describe it as uncomfortably warm/hot. It's all perception, we need utilities that give us temperature readings.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 04:02 PM

I have a W8612 model, and it does whine.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2006, 06:39 PM

The whine is NOT among the issues supposedly fixed. As per article.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 08:34 PM

Mine is off to Apple for repair. Will let you know if the "processor" whine gets fixed.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 02:42 AM

Mine is off to Apple for repair.
So how did this work, then?

Forum Links
Forum Rules