Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch.... 16GB

iPod Touch.... 16GB (Page 3)
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
More likely: the bluetooth hardware is actually in the iPod touch, but Apple has decided to deactivate it. Isn't the WiFi and BT powered by the same chip in the iPhone?

...Why? Beyond the BT headset, does BT do anything else for the iPhone?
Maybe so as you can use a Bluetooth keyboard for typing in Safari (with the iPod touch perched on its little stand) and so use things like Google Docs? Maybe even a future Apple-supplied word processor? A micro-portable writing platform? Hell, a man can dream...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 04:09 PM

it's an iPod, not an iPAQ.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
it's an iPod, not an iPAQ.
Then why even bother with Wifi and the browser?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I think tearing out the bluetooth is a really low blow. With BT, it could have paired with a cell phone for internet access when WiFi wasn't available.
If Apple did put bluetooth in the touch, what makes you think they'd support pairing with a cell phone for internet access? The iPhone's bluetooth doesn't even support A2DP or ObEx!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Then why even bother with Wifi and the browser?
For the WiFi iTMS.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 10:42 PM

I can't understand why they didn't include Mail in the touch.
Anyone an idea why not?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 10:45 PM

I think it's simply to make it not compete too closely with the iPhone.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
bingo.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 11:27 PM

yes, I thought so. A pity, because otherwise it would be a nice gadget. In my eyes not really an iPod only, but more a photo- and movie-viewer, a webbrowser and mail checker. But then, that's what an iPhone does more or less, except here in Europe for the moment.
I'll wait for the iPhone 2.0 with proper 3.5g instead of yesteryears EDGE and see what else they'll offer by then here in Europe.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 11:32 PM

You can always check your mail via the web, of course.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 12:36 AM

I'm guessing that the iPod Touch uses the exact same ARM architecture as the iPhone (especially since they're selling at essentially the same price - trade the cost of GSM hardware for more flash storage, and the margin is about the same), so I would not at all be surprised if iPhone-native apps work on the iTouch without any modifications. In fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't hackable within two weeks of release, if that. Mail clients should appear pretty quickly - maybe even transferring the Mail client on the iPhone to the iTouch.

I'm definitely picking one of these things up. My 15 GB 3rd Gen iPod is on its last legs, and after four years, there's finally an iPod I'm willing to upgrade to (I loathe the Clickwheel interface). My music collection is 25 GB, but with smart playlist managing, I can have a "core" of 10 GB of stuff I want with me all the time, and a rotating sideboard of 1 GB of random albums and 2 GB of the most recently added music, with room left over for a movie or a couple of episodes of the West Wing (best TV show ever). Now I just have to stomach the three week wait.
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 12:37 AM

My birthday is just in two weeks so I'm gonna pick one up when they come out the 28th. 16gigs is plenty for day to day use around my college.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 07:52 AM

IMHO the touch lacks mail, but webmail will be a feasible workaround (not nice, but does the trick). I couldn't care less about BT. On the iPhone BT is pretty much good for nothing but the headset.

Once the touch approaches ~64 GB I'll compare it to an iPhone and get one of them. Until then I'll be happily using my 5G video or a classic.

With the touch now available, I see the nano as nothing more than the poor man's iPod. What does that then make the shuffle?
•

Fotograffiti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
Why not an expansion SD slot? So that we can slap in a 8GB SD to complement the built-in 16GB. And upgrade the SD when bigger capacity is available. 16GB too small, my Dexter TV series would have taken up at least 6GB
If you need carry around your entire Dexter TV series wherever you go, then you may have bigger things to worry about than the size of your ipod's hard drive

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 05:03 PM

Yes, you can also use calendar on the web, and quite some other things. It is simply not the same. A no-go for me. Mail should have been included.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 09:03 PM

I guess I just don't understand why they didn't include Mail. Also, if the calendar isn't editable, that throws a wrench in the whole thing. It's more like an iPhone with a number of features either missing or incomplete (as compared to the iPhone).

It really isn't an "iPhone without the phone" if Mail and an editable calendar aren't included. BT would have been nice (not sure why, but it could have been) also, a camera would have been interesting... but again, not critical.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the final product is like once it starts arriving in homes.

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 11:46 AM

To all you guys with large music libraries. Answer a few questions for me.

Do you rate your music?
Of your rated music how many are 4 or 5 stars?

I have a large library and the main reason it is so large is that I ripped all my CD's to it. When I look at the actual tunes I ripped, I find many that I would never listen to. I also found numerous duplications as often an artist releases the same song on multiple CD's. Once I rated all my music and removed the duplicates I found that I had reduced my memory footprint by over 50%.

Some final comments and observations.

The iPod Touch is a first run product in this new form factor. It is going continue to evolve and probably quite rapidly. Apple has a pretty good track record of evolving this product.

A couple weeks ago, Toshiba announced that they were about to start production of 32GB flash chips. There is little doubt these chips will find their way into future iPods. Coincidentally, I see that Apple filed for a patent for a mechanism for inserting memory cards in a very thin portable device. I expect there will be a memory card slot in iPods in the not too distant future. I see this as a small card like the mini-SD or the xD cards that digital cameras use. The cards could be bought in the sizes the consumer wants/needs. You could then have cards for genre of music, movies or any other key you wish to use, and swap out the cards as your mood changes.

We have not seen the last iPod Touch design, and most likely this is not the last iPod you will ever buy. This product segment is a very fast moving target and Apple looks to be staying ahead of the competition. Anyone want to compare the new iPods to a Zune, or any other MP3 player. Enjoy it for what it is, the best of breed in today's market.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2007, 11:52 AM

I'm a big fan of music, not someone who has every album by all of the popular bands. I created my itunes library one cd at a time, and constantly delete cds that I don't want on there anymore. If I buy a cd at the store, I don't even "automatically" rip it. My library is 37gb. I spend a good part of my free time going to concerts, and have a live phish show collection that is 20gb+. None of those shows are in my music collection because that would make it 57gb. I just listen to alot of bands and I love alot of music. but 37 wouldn't fit in 16 either. or 32. and I would want room for a few movies which means i need 60gb min. So i'm 2 years away from an itouch that I can use.

BTW i don't rate my music, if it isn't 4/5 material to me - it doesn't get into itunes. I also don't rip @ 128. My 6600 song collection is 37gb.
( Last edited by Bruck; Sep 9, 2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarity)
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
There is little doubt these chips will find their way into future iPods.
Hm, surprising conclusion.
Unlike a certain Mr. Gates, who once said that he believed 640 kB would be enough memory for a pc, you come up with the idea that a newer iPod touch might have more memory in the future!
Never thought about that possibility!

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 08:58 AM

Does anyone know if I can use it as a garage door opener?
iMac 20"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2007, 09:37 AM

I don't know the details of the patent you are referring to, jfelbab, but I find it very unlikely that Apple would introduce an iPod with a memory card slot. It's clunky and inelegant to have to be swapping cards, and Apple has no incentive to make iPods upgradable -- they'd much rather you bought a new one when you ran out of space.

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 10:46 AM

What you say is true, however here is the patent if you care to investigate it. (US 7,264,491 B2)

I'm not suggesting that I know anything about this patent being implemented in an iPod, only that the concept would offer a reasonable and affordable solution to the memory size issue while small flash memory does not yet have the capacity many would want. I, for one, would love to see such a solution.

Imagine if you will, a protective case for the iPod with small slots for holding microSD cards in the back. OIf you are a photographer, you already know that there are several memory card wallets around that would/could be effectively used to carry these cards if you really need all of your music for an extended trip.

Like this for example:
<http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31cQtKWzDPL._AA200_.jpg>

Now this image is for SD sized cards and I was envisioning something much smaller like the micro-SD card but you get the idea.

Today, many people cannot load their entire music collection on an 8 or 16 Gb device. We are probably quite a long time away from large and affordable flash memory. This is a reasonable interim solution for those people and it only adds the cost of a memory card slot to the device. Now if we can get Apple to implement it...

Who wants one?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 AM

No you can't! Outlook is the TEH only way you can check email!

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 12:40 PM

Imagine if you will, a protective case for the iPod with small slots for holding microSD cards in the back.

<snip>

Who wants one?

No thanks.

I'd get a Sansa or something if I really cared for that. Hell, if did care for expandable storage, I would never have upgraded to an iPod! I would have kept using my MP3-playing discman. 6 or more CDs gets me more storage than my 4gb nano.

But I didn't, because it was a hassle having to manage all my loose media. And now we'd extend that concept to having to manage tiny little memory cards the size of my thumbnail that are really hard to label? And making playlists that contain songs only from one memory card? Screw it. I'll just manage my music selection better.

I want simplicity, and so do most consumers. Otherwise, if expandable storage was that important, the iPod wouldn't be as successful. It's done stellar without it, and will continue to do so.

If people want expandable storage on the go, there are other hardware options available to them.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Sep 11, 2007 at 12:51 PM. )

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
No you can't! Outlook is the TEH only way you can check email!
Your telling me I won't be able to log onto gmail or yahoo and check my mail? I don't think so. These two are web based and safari web browser should be able check email.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2007, 03:03 PM

He was joking.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 03:24 PM

A couple weeks ago, Toshiba announced that they were about to start production of 32GB flash chips. There is little doubt these chips will find their way into future iPods. Coincidentally, I see that Apple filed for a patent for a mechanism for inserting memory cards in a very thin portable device. I expect there will be a memory card slot in iPods in the not too distant future. I see this as a small card like the mini-SD or the xD cards that digital cameras use. The cards could be bought in the sizes the consumer wants/needs. You could then have cards for genre of music, movies or any other key you wish to use, and swap out the cards as your mood changes.
The primary problem with having memory cards would be it complicates everything. Sure, computer savvy people would understand, but the great thing about the iPod is EVERYONE can use it... not just computer types.

Adding and removing cards also sounds like a throwback to CDs and cassettes. I think a better idea would be to either buy an iPod classic with a HDD that can hold all your music or buy a iPod touch and just update your music via synching.

I have over 50+GB of music, and my 4GB iPod mini still worked perfectly. I didn't need every album I owned on the iPod... I mixed it up. There have been very few times I've said "gee, I should have put XYZ on my iPod"

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
The primary problem with having memory cards would be it complicates everything. Sure, computer savvy people would understand, but the great thing about the iPod is EVERYONE can use it... not just computer types...

I have over 50+GB of music, and my 4GB iPod mini still worked perfectly. I didn't need every album I owned on the iPod... I mixed it up. There have been very few times I've said "gee, I should have put XYZ on my iPod"
Well that's the beauty of a card slot. If you are able to work within your music, photo, movie library and ram size you don't need to buy any card(s). If you have a large library and travel like I do, you'd want your whole library with you and probably also want the larger screen size and interface of the Touch, especially if you add a few movies and a photo library to it. Sure, the Classic would work but then you'd give up the larger screen and the better user interface. You'd also then be back to dealing with the slower more power hungry, more problem prone mechanical hard disk instead of flash ram. A card slot solves all that and gives people options.

Ok, so I agree that I would prefer 64Gb or 128 Gb flash ram in the iPod in a perfect world but we won't be seeing that world real soon.

Clearly, average people can easily deal with small flash cards as demonstrated by digital camera users. Imagine a digital camera with only it's built in ram or even it's small supplied flash card. The removable flash ram has made the digital camera much more useful, just as it would for the iPod.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 05:42 PM

Thats a 2.5" laptop drive. iPod (classic) uses 1.8" drive.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

macdude
Sep 11, 2007, 05:49 PM

I, for one, do not want a card slot on my iPod. That's one of the main things that seperates it from other mp3 players and I hope it stays that way. Card slots on music players scream to me "I'm too cheap to buy the size I really need, so I settled for a lesser amount of internal storage, and bought a removable card to use when I run out of space."

iPods have a sense of elegance to them, and in my opinion a card slot would make it look cheap.

Also, now that we are getting extremely close to free iPhone unlocking software, I would probably just buy an iPhone and use it with my GSM carrier instead, despite the storage and wireless capability differences.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Thats a 2.5" laptop drive. iPod (classic) uses 1.8" drive.
Hence the

...and imagine the screen size when they put the 2.5" drive in it! We'll get there: Apple tablet ;-)

passmaster16
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 06:45 PM

I wonder when they'll bump the capacities again? MWSF? Also I think the inability to enter calendar events and the absence of mail will be short lived.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
I wonder when they'll bump the capacities again? MWSF? Also I think the inability to enter calendar events and the absence of mail will be short lived.
I hope so... I'd like to see it be supported from Apple. Not 3rd party hacks.

We'll see.

ph0ust
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 12:48 PM

i rate all my music and create smartplaylists, by genre of 4 and 5 star songs. that alone is 23gb or my 40gb of music. that doesn't inlcude photos, videos, etc.

i also only rip music at 256kb with vbr. that whole 128 metric is just lame imo, as i want my music to sound reasonably good when compressed.

i have an ipod "classic". not the new one, but an original. i don't want to watch video on a tiny nano screen with 8gb of memory. i would LOVE to buy a touch, but what good is 16gb of memory? i can't get my favorite music on it, let alone anything else. if the nano had 16gb, i'd get one and at least get a bit more than half of my favorite music.... but 8gb is just a pain to update all the time (not interested).

it would seem many people are in my boat- i want to buy a killer new ipod... but apple didn't make one for me. i already have a ton of apple stuff, but their new "best ipods ever" don't have a logical reason for me to purchase. sucks. hopefully they drop the now antiquated classic, add a hdd to the touch and start leading the market again. while i don't plan on buying a non-ipod dap, there sure are a lot that are about as cool as a touch. hopefully apple feels the pressure and gets a new touch out soon!

in regards to mail or other apps on the touch. while i think apple should do that i don't really care. it does upset me though that apple has a growing tendency to handicap otherwise great devices- the touch, the iphone, apple tv..... i don't like that attitude on their part.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Smart playlist =

Complete itunes library =
It would be a nightmare having to scroll through my entire iTunes library on a portable device. That would drive me insane.

At any one time, I usually like to browse through my iTunes library via Coverflow, pick out 5 or 6 albums that I've got an urge to listen to and sync that to my iPod. That would be my "current rotation". In any given week, there would be a handful of CDs that I want to play.

It was simliar to the days when I just had a 5-CD changer in my car.... I would take the 5 CDs from the changer, return them back to my library, pick out 5 new CDs and be happy. If inspiration struck me, I would write down an album name so that I would remember to pick that up when I got home.

When I got my first Sony DiscMan, I had a travelling pouch that held 16 music CDs. I was very content to be able to listen to those 16 CDs. I always had the option of changing the CD selection when I got home. Sixteen CDs is a lot to listen to. If the average CD is about 45 minutes, I had 12 hours of music. That was more than enough to get me through the day or even the week.

Assuming that we do go home, we can always sync our iPods to our computer and easily change the selection. We do go home, don't we? So we can get to our iTunes library easily and swap songs in and out with ease.

Smart playlists is a function that is sadly overlooked by a lot of people. Lots of folks who demand unlimited storage on their portable media players completely forget about them.

Now granted, there will be people who insist on doing things their way. If they want to wade their way through a huge library, that's their choice. It would just be a complete mess in any portable media player.

Originally Posted by parky
t's perfect for me, so I have ordered a 16GB model.

To all those who while about 16GB, just be selective with your music. Make some cleaver playlists that select your favorite tracks, limit the playlists to a certain size.

I have the following playlists on my 4GB nano and they work great :-

1 that has 1GB of my most recent addition to iTunes, so I always have the recent store purchases or CD loads.

1 that has 2GB of my most favorite tracks (4 stars or more), that have not been played in the last 6 months, the playlist also selects the tracks first that have the lowest number of play counts.

1 that has 1 GB of music that I select manually, things that are just 'hot' at the moment.

Ian
I also have a setup like parky's.

I have a regular playlist called "Smash Hits" that contains singles that I've always loved or are the current Hot Tracks of the month.

I have a smart playlist that I call "The Jukebox". It contains up to a day's worth of random songs that I haven't played in the last 6 months. This gives me enough randomness to let me explore my untapped library to see if there was anything that would pique my interest enough to grab the whole album later. When the songs get played, it is marked as being played. The next iTunes sync will drop that song from the smart playlist and add a new song. My "Jukebox" is kept refreshed everytime I sync back to my computer.

Then I have a "Current Albums Rotation" which contains a handful of complete albums that I want to listen to for the week (when I'm not listening the singles collection from the Jukebox).

Then I have my "recent additions" with new music from the last 4 months.

There are a lot of people who are disappointed by 16 GBs. Part of the reason why Apple choose 16 GBs is due to market pricing. The prices of 16 GBs have dropped just enough for Apple to be able to include them in the iPod touch.

When the market prices of 32 GBs drop to reasonable levels, we'll be able to see them in the next iPod touch revision.

Putting high capacity flash in laptops and portable media players are still way too expensive for the mass public.

If you want to see the competition, you can always look at the Archos 704 Wifi:

ARCHOS

40 GB hard drive (not flash). This comes close to what some people want from Apple. But putting flash in this baby would drive the prices even higher. It's also not as slim as the iPod touch at 7.05" x 4.96" x 0.78"

But then again, there will always be people who want a 1 terabyte portable media player.... Can't please anyone nowadays. It's amazing how far we've gone and how spoiled we've become. I remembered when the Sony Walkman was the hottest gadget in town. Then came the Sony Discman. I loved being able to create mix tapes or mix CDs of my favorite songs and I was perfectly happy with it. When the iPod came around, it changed everyone's lives.

But now every time Apple releases something, people are still bummed that it doesn't do this or that....

I'm just happy to see the iPod touch.... It's a great indicator of how far we've come and of things to come.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2007, 07:02 PM

I think 16GB is pretty reasonable for music, especially if you're a little selective (and I find making smart playlists as has been described here actually makes me more likely to hear a variety of stuff from my library than if I had everything at my disposal). For video, though, which is arguably the best use of the touch, 16GB is pretty stingy -- particularly if you use video from the iTunes Store and not stuff that you have ripped yourself. iTS videos are pretty high bitrate -- more than you really need for mobile viewing. So I can understand why people are a little upset about only getting 16GB on the model that is best suited to viewing video. Still, smart playlists are the answer. If you're watching a TV show, make a playlist that has two or three of the next episodes that you haven't seen, for example. You don't need every episode of a show, or even an entire season.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by macdude View Post
I, for one, do not want a card slot on my iPod. That's one of the main things that seperates it from other mp3 players and I hope it stays that way. Card slots on music players scream to me "I'm too cheap to buy the size I really need, so I settled for a lesser amount of internal storage, and bought a removable card to use when I run out of space."
Gee, I would think it screams "I'm practical and am prepared for the future when larger capacity cards become available."

iPods have a sense of elegance to them, and in my opinion a card slot would make it look cheap.
So the SIM slot in the iPhone makes it look cheap?

Also, now that we are getting extremely close to free iPhone unlocking software, I would probably just buy an iPhone and use it with my GSM carrier instead, despite the storage and wireless capability differences.
I'm with you on this one.

I just can't get past the "forehead" on the iPod touch. I've never been a fan of the "chin" on the iMacs either. With the iPhone, the area above the screen houses the earpiece. Not sure what purpose it serves on the iPod touch. I guess they couldn't reduce the size any more. I certainly hope it wasn't on purpose just to keep it looking like it's in the same "family" as the iPod. Here's what I wish the iPod touch looked like:

I'd buy 2 of these in a heartbeat!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:18 PM

Computerworld early review has confirmed no Calendar editing on the touch.

Hmm. Well, at least it sounds like we might be getting the iPhone soon in the UK - and if not, I suppose I can always unlock a US one

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 04:10 PM

Beyond Computerworld .... it's official from Apple. You can add/edit Contacts on the iPod Touch ... but Calendar events are read-only. Unbelievably lame and quite inexplicable.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPo...ures_Guide.pdf

(see page 49)

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 04:11 PM

doublepost

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
So the SIM slot in the iPhone makes it look cheap?
Were it a slot that's built to be operated more than once every few years, it *would*.

Because either it would be uncovered, like the Dock connector at the bottom (a necessary evil), or there'd be one of those godawful rubbery-plastic plug-flap-covers that inevitably gets messed up or loose.

Plus, it'd be a useless waste of bulk and space for the 90% of customers who'd never EVER use it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Beyond Computerworld .... it's official from Apple. You can add/edit Contacts on the iPod Touch ... but Calendar events are read-only. Unbelievably lame and quite inexplicable.
What do you mean "inexplicable"?

There's a completely obvious explanation.

iPods don't do calendar editing. You want a PDA - buy the iPhone.

Product differentiation has been an industry fundamental since its inception.

Which part are you not getting?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

The part I'm not getting is that the "classic" iPods had Contact and Calendar features ... but since there was no keyboard this info was read-only. Made sense. Now with the iPod Touch we have a keyboard. So why allow a user to add/edit a Contact ... but not a Calendar event? That just doesn't make sense. The "it's not a PDA" argument doesn't hold water because if you are going to go there then both Contacts and Calendar events should have remained read-only. That still would have sucked given the presence of the keyboard and already existing software to add/edit/sync this information .... but at least it would have been consistent. As it stands now this implementation essentially tells a user that he can rub the left tit but not the right one. WTF?

So I stand by my point. Lame and just plain inexplicable.

OAW

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 05:43 PM

Are you an Apple shill or something?

Removal of this feature is retarded.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:45 PM

I have to admit, when OAW describes it, it does seem more retarded than the average crippling.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 07:04 PM

The part where the iPod touch has a full web browser, WiFi 802.11g, a touchscreen with keyboard entry as well as address book entry... but no calendar entry. For some reason a few of us find that just a tad odd.

Or actually no. Not a tad odd. It's completely braindead.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2007, 07:59 PM

Speaking of brain dead, I really hope that we're going to see an iPhone update soon that enables all of the foreign keyboards that exist on the iPod Touch (to say nothing of the "double tap the space bar for a period feature).

iPod touch keyboard trounces iPhone’s: multi-language support, multiple keyboards and more – iPhone Atlas

I can understand why the iPhone only launched with English, and why the touch needs all of the keyboards, since it's being released worldwide, but it seems more than a little odd that the device that is targeted more toward data entry (writing emails, entering calendar events) has such a crippled keyboard. It's inconceivable that they would leave these features off of the iPhone, right?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 08:23 PM

I'm actually trying to determine what upsets me more. No mail.app or being unable to add/edit the calendar. I was kinda OK with not having mail... but not having a editable calendar is upset.

I'm upset because it probably took apple longer to remove/edit mail.app and Calendar as compared to just pulling them from the iPhone.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 09:23 PM

Were it a slot that's built to be operated more than once every few years, it *would*.

Because either it would be uncovered, like the Dock connector at the bottom (a necessary evil), or there'd be one of those godawful rubbery-plastic plug-flap-covers that inevitably gets messed up or loose.

Plus, it'd be a useless waste of bulk and space for the 90% of customers who'd never EVER use it.
I wholeheartedly disagree. If so inclined, Apple could design and engineer a flash memory card slot that was unobtrusive and easily opened. Functionality and aesthetics has nothing to do with it. It has to do with Apple not wanting it's customers to have an easy way to add more storage to their handheld devices. Flash memory cards are rapidly becoming more accessible (I recently bought an 8GB SDHC card for $65). Imagine if you could add 8GB to your 16GB iPod touch or 8GB iPhone that easily. But that's not Apple's business model. They want to sell you a whole new iPod or iPhone when the higher capacity flash memory becomes available. And the typical Apple customer is more than willing to pony up the money.

To me it's no different than if they sold MacBooks with a fixed amount of memory that couldn't be upgraded. Any sane person would find that totally unreasonable. So why is it so outrageous to want to be able to easily upgrade the flash memory in a handheld device?

Forum Links
Forum Rules