Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How would you setup my PowerMac for Time Machine?

How would you setup my PowerMac for Time Machine?
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2007, 08:15 PM

I'm not sure if I should use time machine. I constantly fill the 250gb drive inside my G5. At times I would have data on both my 250 lacie and my computer, sometimes only in one place.

Recently I purchased a new 500GB internal drive and a 500GB EIDE drive to put in the lacie (its 250 died).

I'm not sure what order to setup my configuration and which drive should be Time Machine.

500 Internal (Master)?
250 Internal (for extra storage)?
500 External As Time Machine drive?

250 Internal Master w/ 500 Internal Time Machine?

I'm kind of confused about time machine will handle my data, I don't see how it could keep a year's worth of backups (i know basically how it works). If I have lots of new data on a regular basis and a full 250, once I ran out of space, I'd probably end up with only a few weeks back of data?

thoughts? What if you want to delete something permanently like a 50GB file you're done with, or god forbid 3 versions of it across 5 days, the HDi s gonna have 250GB of just that 1 file.

Thanks.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 10:31 PM

Every hour Time Machine looks at your hard drive and asks "what changed?" It then makes a copy of those files that changed on your backup drive. If you have a lot of new data, then Time Machine won't be able to keep a year on a small drive. It doesn't do binary diffs (or any form of diffs), so if one bit changes in a 50GB file, it makes another copy. It has an option for permanently deleting a file so that it's not backed up.

Use one of the 500s as your Time Machine drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules