Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro mem timing

mac pro mem timing
gangster
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2013, 06:33 PM

i came across 8gb of fb-dimm ram (2x4gb) that is marked pc2-6400f -800 ecc that i wish to add to my existing 4x2gb ram of the same spec. i see what i believe is a timing spec of 555-11 on my original ram, but nothing on the "new" stuff. should i expect any conflict? also, how do i configure 6 fb-dimms in 2 risers? currently there are 2 in each riser.

thanks in advance.
( Last edited by gangster; Jul 26, 2013 at 09:05 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2013, 09:30 PM

In a 2008 quad or 8-core Mac Pro, if you want to use 6 DIMMs, you should have two matched pairs in the top riser and one matched pair in the bottom riser. If you already have a pair in each riser nearest to the logic board, then just put the new pair in the two empty slots on the top riser. I think they are labelled 3 and 4.

I can tell you the 555 is correct. I can't see anything about the 11 part anywhere in my literature.

These are pretty handy things to come across. Usually almost $300.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

gangster  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2013, 11:07 PM

thanks for the quick reply.

i saw some fb-dimms on ebay claiming 666-11 timing so i was concerned but i plan to try the "new" ones tomorrow no matter what.

so i dont need to put the 2 4gb dimms alone together on a riser , i can mix sizes on the same riser as long as they are matched pairs side by side?

thanks again.
( Last edited by gangster; Jul 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2013, 07:21 AM

If you split them between risers, I don't think it'll work reliably.

Take a look:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...ryDIMM_DIY.pdf

I recently bought some of this type of RAM but mine is going in an Xserve rather than a Pro. Most of the ones I found were expensive but I managed to get 4x1GB and 2x2GB for £50 the lot. Of course, now I have to find some smaller heat spreaders for them....
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

gangster  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2013, 10:24 AM

worked like a charm using the diagram!

thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013, 06:16 PM

Great answer to a great question. I'm moving this thread to the Desktops forum where it belongs. That will get more people an opportunity to find it when looking for Mac Pro memory...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules