Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Jaguar won't let me install OminPage SE - access denied

Jaguar won't let me install OminPage SE - access denied
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2003, 08:20 PM

I already have all the scanner software installed for my canon lide 30 and have been using it for awhile. I need to get OCR happening now. and I did not install the OmniPage SE OCR software that was included with my scanner when I first set it up, however I would now like to try it. When I try to install it either standalone or through the setup installer program, it goes to the very end of the install and then quits with the message .. unable to install, system error .. access denied. Any ideas?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 11:43 PM

There is a fix for this. I don't have the link but it's on their site. I had the same problem but got it to install.

I think, don't hold me to this, you have to open one of the language folders and click on the install (or file within) from there.

Good luck.

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
There is a fix for this. I don't have the link but it's on their site. I had the same problem but got it to install.

I think, don't hold me to this, you have to open one of the language folders and click on the install (or file within) from there.

Good luck.
Here's the link
http://knowledgebase.scansoft.com/view.asp?tnID=2010

but i guess you're out of luck if you're like me and you don't have the classic environment

"Note: If your computer is not dual booting Mac OS 9.x and OS 10.2, you will be unable to install OmniPage Pro X."

jaske
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
Here's the link
http://knowledgebase.scansoft.com/view.asp?tnID=2010

but i guess you're out of luck if you're like me and you don't have the classic environment

"Note: If your computer is not dual booting Mac OS 9.x and OS 10.2, you will be unable to install OmniPage Pro X."
This is not exactly true: if your computer will boot from an OS 9 disc, and if it has the OS 9 drivers installed, then you're fine. So, if you have an OS X-only system, just attempt to boot from 9. You'll know if you have the drivers if the hard drive appears on the 9 desktop. If not, you're in trouble, so to speak . . .

Now, you can install from Root, but that tends to pose another problem: this installation only lets Root actually scan (even administrators cannot use Omnipage).

I had to reinstall OS X-only, making sure that the OS 9 drivers were installed. If you need to do take this "drastic" action, let me know and I'll post instructions.

kokkao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 09:17 AM

Thank goodness i did a search.
I got a LIDE30 on Saturday and am having exactly the same problem.
Great scanner but Omnipage won't load and says the same.
I'll report on the results of trying the suggested fixes from the Scansoft site.

kokkao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 12:13 PM

So far so good but it has thrown up another problem.

I managed to get it installed, but had to use the Installer Acrchive rather than the setup programme. Scansoft's option 2 was a non-starter - literally!

Now whenever I start it up the wretched programme asks for a registration code! Naturally there is none as it comes on the Canon disc.

Canon suggested using the Mac's serial number, but to cap it all there isn't even anywhere to insert any code

Where do we go from here?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 02:35 PM

What kind of frickin' a-holes are the people at ScanSoft? They sell a way overpriced application, and can't even bother to update it to install on anything other than a two-year old version of OS X.

I bought this product when it first came out, but will never buy another product from them again (for Mac or PC). Last year, we make a huge investment (millions of dollars) in speech recognition dictation systems (speech to text), and I made sure we went with a product that wasn't built on Dragon NaturallySpeaking technology. We went with Dictaphone (and the technology aquired from L&H).

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 06:48 PM

Try opening the program with Psuedo. It will give it temporary root access. The same problem happens with Palm Desktop and some other installers.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/pseudo.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules