Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problem with Alfa USB Highpower Adapter

Problem with Alfa USB Highpower Adapter
screener13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2009, 10:41 PM

I apologize in advance for my ignorance about this. I purchased an Alfa USB HIghpower Adapter for my MacBook (Mac OS X 10.5.2) and can't seem to get it to work. I downloaded the drivers, but nothing at all happens when I plug the USB cord into my computer. No device is recognized and there is no indicator light on the device. I can't use the mini CD manual that was included in the package because I can't use the mini CDs in my CD slot, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or whether I received a defective unit. Any help with this is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2009, 10:13 AM

Have you tried going to Alpha's site and downloading the manual? I almost never bother with manuals on CD because the disc seems to never be handy when I need it, so I download manuals all the time. (Keep track of which ones' you download so you don't wind up with several copies of the same thing!)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

Manual says it's 10.4 compatible, but the only driver available is for Vista.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Manual says it's 10.4 compatible, but the only driver available is for Vista.
Which should in theory mean that it wouldn't require a driver... Not necessarily the way it is though.

After some lucky searching, I found this page which offers a Mac driver for the AWUS036H. I can't test it, but it looks like it will work. If it doesn't work, I searched for "awus036h mac driver" and got plenty of results to pour through.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

screener13  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2009, 12:27 AM

Thank you very much for the replies. I couldn't find a manual for the product on the Alfa website, but I did send them an email. I have a feeling I might have to send the adapter back. Any suggestions for a good wireless range extender? The Alfa one seemed to have good reviews, but I'm not sure if there's a better one out there in the same price range. Thank you again for all your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules